Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to put flag on rotating platform or lift?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to put flag on rotating platform or lift?

    I remember a map from Unreal Tournament 3 called CTF-Strident where flags are placed on moving platforms up and down.

    I want a rotating platform with flag on it. I tried to set up flag base as child to rotator. The platform moves but flag stays in same place. But it works for weapons (they move with base). How do I make it to work?
    My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

    #2
    This might be one type of gimmick I'd actually like to experiment with in a map. 8)

    Comment


      #3
      A more interesting gimmick would be the whole flagbase moving to different areas of the base.

      UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

      Comment


        #4
        I tried two different methods, animating flag base with matinee and attaching flag base to moving static mesh: both didn't work. If I put it on a lift that goes up, flag will go up but then stays in the air when lift go down.



        Is it a bug or I'm just doing something wrong?
        My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

        Comment


          #5
          Add a rotation component to your flag blueprint.

          Check one of the UTPickup bases (weapon / powerup, doesn't matter).

          EDIT: This tutorial covers hovering, not necessarily rotation, but rotation can be added in a similar fashion: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Videos...eo=5kltaGld6fQ
          Last edited by vlad.serbanescu11; 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            I did this back in ut2k4 in one of my modpacks, made flags with extended code that allowed things like moving flag bases (one of my levels had flags under lava you needed to shoot a button to pop out to grab) and it looks like ut4 is doing the same thing, the base itself has no collision and the flag is simply spawned where the base is at, the flag isn't connected to it. What you need to do is create a custom flag derived from UTCTFFlag and when it's spawned or sent home set the physics to attach it to the base. I haven't 100% dug through the code yet but it may be possible to cheese it without code in ut4 by simply turning the flag base into a full collision object and enabling physics on the flag on spawn as well (though that might have weird side effects, just a random thought that might work)

            Comment


              #7
              vlad.serbanescu11, I am unfortunately have very little skill in programming or blueprints and I have no idea how to make it. I opened flag, healthpacks and weapons blueprints and couldn't find any hints what to change in them.

              I reinstalled UT3 just to see how it was done in CTF-Strident, and flag was simply attached to lift, witchout any extra Kismet scripting.
              My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

              Comment


                #8
                I think I may have read the title of your thread a bit wrong. Do you want to create a rotating actor or just "glue" your flag to an already rotating actor?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Glue flag to rotating actor.
                  My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    My bad! I'm not sure why it doesn't work, but I'll try it when I get home tonight.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Select the flag and the mesh you want to move, right click and select "attach actor". When you move the object, the item you attached in this case the flag, will move with it keeping its relation to the moving object.
                      PayBack

                      Comment


                        #12
                        -jay-, can you show with a map example? When I add BP_CTFFlagBase there is no flag in editor, only base. The flag appears only when game started.
                        My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by RNGuy View Post
                          -jay-, can you show with a map example? When I add BP_CTFFlagBase there is no flag in editor, only base. The flag appears only when game started.
                          Correct the base of the flag is the flag. You cant move BSP objects in game, you can only move static meshes. So select the base of the flag and the static mesh that you plan on moving and select "Attach". Then when you move the static mesh, the flag will move with it. You cant move the flag without the base, the flag move where ever the base moves, the base moves where the static mesh you attached it to moves.
                          PayBack

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                            Correct the base of the flag is the flag. You cant move BSP objects in game, you can only move static meshes. So select the base of the flag and the static mesh that you plan on moving and select "Attach". Then when you move the static mesh, the flag will move with it. You cant move the flag without the base, the flag move where ever the base moves, the base moves where the static mesh you attached it to moves.
                            I tested that and it does not work!?


                            .... I remember we were able to do that with the BR mod with the goals in UT3! .... really made that mod more dynamic and required a little more skill to achieve some goals ... specially the punts for the 3 points!


                            http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Laambo View Post
                              I tested that and it does not work!?


                              .... I remember we were able to do that with the BR mod with the goals in UT3! .... really made that mod more dynamic and required a little more skill to achieve some goals ... specially the punts for the 3 points!
                              Thats odd. Ive used that in the past without issue. On WareHouse11 the decals on the doors are attached that way. Otherwise there is way to do it with blueprints and maybe you need to use blueprints to attach two meshes.
                              PayBack

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X