No announcement yet.

Pen & Paper Level Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I do is just make every square in the grid paper be 16x16. When I want to transfer it to the Unreal Editior of course you need to make adjustments and I believe it you will still need to do adjustments if you sketch it out. Remember it is just a rough sketch of what you have in mind and will occasionally change when you are actually mapping it out.
    History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
    UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
    UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
    UT Main Menu Design

Comment

I tend to draw in photoshop, normally comes out something like this;

Comment

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
        In this thread let's share our basic concepts, designs and layouts for the levels. I need to remind you though, please only share the very basic, top-down layouts of your maps. This (I believe) is the very first step of creating a map and these layouts will show us
        1. Traversable area
        2. Buildings and ground levels
        3. Location of the grand power-ups (maybe)

You can detail these maps in according to the lore of course.

Let's start writing.. (:

Additional guidelines:
        Honestly, I don't think anyone should focus on maps right now. We don't even have what the gameplay is like or how the movement is or what new items there will be. But still, its on paper which is good.
        Zacc

Comment

Originally posted by Zacc View Post
          Honestly, I don't think anyone should focus on maps right now. We don't even have what the gameplay is like or how the movement is or what new items there will be. But still, its on paper which is good.
          While you're right that lots of details will inform the specifics of level creation, there's still plenty of room to explore new ideas and map flows. It's just important to know that anything being explored at the moment will likely need to be adapted later on.

I personally don't tend to mind that, since it's an opportunity for iteration.
          David Spalinski
          @spazinski
          Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
            While you're right that lots of details will inform the specifics of level creation, there's still plenty of room to explore new ideas and map flows. It's just important to know that anything being explored at the moment will likely need to be adapted later on.

I agree. We will certainly have to change a lot of things once the gameplay begins to lock down, but many of us need the editor practice anyways.

Really, the only solid rule would be to not spend tons of time making the level super pretty, since edits and build time will sky rocket.

Ok, with the basic movement implemented, I decided to build a rough version of the map in this thread, but immediately some issues crop up. Number one, corridors on the sides of the map are far too long, and similarly too narrow. I tried to solve this by making it so that the hallway is closer to one tower (the towers aren't in the map), and ramp up to the third floor instead of going all the way down to the other tower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	328538
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SwiftMalachi; 05-15-2014, 11:20 AM.
            --------------------------------------
            clstirens
            Level Designer

Comment

whoa i just got a reply from a person from epic games. Sorry, you guys are awesome, but I understand what you mean by making maps for the gameplay decisions, which I actually never heard of before. However, it sounds cool but I think the most efficient way to key the gameplay mechanics is through testing and tweaking and tweaking through the maps. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
              Zacc

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
                I tend to draw in photoshop, normally comes out something like this;
                This looks familiar

Comment

I thought it might frank. Nice to see you

Comment

I made another version (I wouldn't dare to say that "this is an update") of my map... aaand it's a bit (a tiny winy bit) different than others. (:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ld01c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	328557

I tried to compensate the length with curves and made the corridors a bit bulkier. I also tried to draw how the towers look like from outside but I ultimately failed. What I tried, is to show that entire 4th floor has windows all over it so everyone can see who is there and shoot them.

I hope circles can be made easily on UE4.
                    Last edited by Tycerax; 05-15-2014, 10:02 PM.
                    Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Just a suggestion, but you may want to try drawing up a version where you bring more asymmetry to the outer corridors of the map, even as just an exercise to examine the difference.

It's not vital, and there have been plenty of fun symmetrical arena maps, but it will help players have more variety in their experience, and be easier to get their bearings. You can get around this in symmetrical maps by making the look of one outer corridor different (lights are out, roof is busted open, different architecture), as well as put different pickups there.
                      I agree, both definitely have their place. Keep symmetrical maps smaller for 1v1 play or 2v2 play in mind, but definitely provide visual queues of some sort to differentiate so that players can form mental maps that help them locate certain weapon placements/power up placements. It really doesn't have to be much, but just enough to differentiate the symmetrical zones...color schemes/shades, flora/fauna, lighting, slight architectural changes, even sounds.

I like what I see so far!

Comment

Not saying anything, but for abstract level design it is almost impossible to draw good level on paper. The better the level is, the "more impossible" this task is. Instead of drawing levels on paper you should start building BSP prototypes of your floorplan.

And by the way. Symmetry is your enemy unless it is map designed for gametype like CTF.
                        Unofficial Enforcer Model
                        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
                        X