Builder brush gone - how to intersect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Builder brush gone - how to intersect?

It seems the builder brush that was present in editors of all previous UTs is gone and the shape you build is immediately a part of BSP.
    In view of this, I would like to ask - how do you intersect brushes?
    To be more precise, given a level, I would like to create a brush which would be an intersection of a - let's say - cube and all solid parts of current BSP.

Intersection is a powerful tool to shape your brushes which I would hate to see being gone.
    For example, if I want to create a brush in a shape of two ball caps connected together - I can create one solid ball, and intersect it with another.
    Now, it seems brush clipping to create a single cap and then connecting two copies of it is the (slower) way to go...

You don't intersect brushes anymore.

Try using the Pen tool, it's sort of like the old 3d shape editor only more powerful and much easier to use. Also you can select multiple brushes (both additive and subtractive) and turn them all into a single static mesh which is sort of like intersection, except it doesn't clip and you wind up with a mesh instead of a brush.
    Last edited by MoxNix; 10-06-2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      Try using the Pen tool, it's sort of like the old 3d shape editor only more powerful and much easier to use.
      That is an absolute statement. Is pen tool always easier to use?
      How would use use the pen to create a single mesh of a shape of two ball caps connected together?
      To clarify - this is what I mean:

It is super easy to do with intersection in the past editors. In UE4 I can do similar thing through Brush Clip, clone and mirror, but I end up with two meshes instead.

And this is one example of many where intersection is a useful shortcut. It won't help you every time, but when it does - it can be a major time saver!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LiliumAtratum View Post
        That is an absolute statement. Is pen tool always easier to use?
        Yup, pen tool always easier than the old 3D shape editor... Much easier. Not obvious how to use it at first but once you figure out how it works, it's very intuitive and easy to work with. Just select geometry editing > pen in the modes panel, set the desired extrude depth and use space in any of the 3d ports to place vertices and draw your shape. Once the shape is completed, hit the apply button to extrude it.

Originally posted by LiliumAtratum View Post
        How would use use the pen to create a single mesh of a shape of two ball caps connected together?
        To clarify - this is what I mean:

It is super easy to do with intersection in the past editors. In UE4 I can do similar thing through Brush Clip, clone and mirror, but I end up with two meshes instead.

And this is one example of many where intersection is a useful shortcut. It won't help you every time, but when it does - it can be a major time saver!
        That's two brushes, if you select both brushes and then "convert to static mesh" you'll wind up with a single mesh... But the original brushes will be gone, so if you want to keep them, make copies first. And unlike with intersection, you'll wind up with nice clean triangles, even when there were messy cuts on the original brushes. Converting to static mesh usually cleans up any BSP holes in the brushes too.

Edit: Here's a good tutorial on the BSP editing tools https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...vel-Design-BSP

Once you figure a few of them out you won't miss intersection anymore or at least not much.
        Last edited by MoxNix; 10-07-2015, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
          Yup, pen tool always easier than the old 3D shape editor... Much easier. Not obvious how to use it at first but once you figure out how it works, it's very intuitive and easy to work with. Just select geometry editing > pen in the modes panel, set the desired extrude depth and use space in any of the 3d ports to place vertices and draw your shape. Once the shape is completed, hit the apply button to extrude it.
          So if it is so easy, how will you use the pen tool to create the shape I described?

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, but I already read all that is there

Comment

Working...
          X