General questions about Unreal Tournament Editor (UTE) - importing content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I was thinking today how to make 2D platform mode in Unreal Tournament 4? How to import all assets from Unreal Tournament 4 into Unreal Engine/Editor 4.24?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey,

thanks for the replies! Think i'm getting a better overview now. Still not quiet working for me.... maybe i am experiencing some bugs :/ will let you know!
    cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is copy and paste from another thread I just posted it in. This is how to import UE4 content to the UT project.

I had that same problem but I got it working by the way I said. You need to put the folders titled StatichMeshes, Textures and one other one directly into the Content folder. Do not create a folder called Content inside the RestrictedAssets folder I was mistaken when I said that, one already exists. Just put the base asset folders directly into the content folder for UT. Here I am using the same vegetation pack you are using, copy the 3 files in the same location where I have them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	341858

Think of it this way, all UE projects have a base directory for everything to be included in the game like meshes and materials. This is ALWAYS in the "C:\Game\Content" location. So lets say someone creates a new set of assets for UE. When they create those assets they are created in that folder location. When the assets are built, they are referencing objects at those locations.

So lets say you have a static mesh tree. This tree was made using UE and follows the standard path set.

First you have the static mesh itself. This is located at
    C:\Game\Content\StaticMesh\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now this tree also needs a texture. That is located at
    C:\Game\Content\Textures\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now the tree also needs a material. This is located at
    C:\Game\Content\Materials\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now those 3 parts put together all make up the full pretty looking BigTree that you want to put in your map. The full asset itself references those locations exactly. It doesnt have any ability to find them elsewhere. So if you put those assets into a different folder lets say

C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\Textures\Tree\BigTree.asset
    C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\StaticMesh\Tree\BigTree.asset
    C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\Materials\Tree\BigTree.asset

So what you are doing is putting them into a different folder structure than they were originally created for. Each asset by itself you can see and looks fine, however when you put the FullStatic Mesh BigTree into the game, the game looks at the asset and says ok I need a material and a Texture, the static mesh asset says I can find those at the following locations
    C:\Game\Content\Materials\Tree\BigTree.asset
    C:\Game\Content\Textures\Tree\BigTree.asset

However when the game tries to go to that location, they dont exist because you put them here:
    C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\Materials\Tree\BigTree.asset
    C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\Textures\Tree\BigTree.asset

Does that make sense now? Its a lot like how when you want to host a custom map on a server, you need to know the exactly location where the person who built the map had originally saved the map so that the game knows where to find the map within the .pak file.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xamin View Post
    Hello Guys,

first of all, I love UT it's so great, that Epic develops UT4 including the community, so I recently started creating my own map(s). Just for fun, maybe if the work turns out well, i will submit some of my work to the forums. I'm totally new to UE, so I have some general questions about the Unreal Tournament flavored version of UE4, didn't find any help regarding my problem, hope you can help me out.

1) Just to get things straight in the beginning, what are the basic differences between UT flavored UE4 version (lets call it UTE) and the "normal" UE4? And what means that for me?
    The UTE is a "project" (by meanings of projects you can create in UE4) by itself, right? That's the reason why, if you want to create new content in UTE you can only create new "levels" and no new projects?
    I'm asking, because this leads to my second question: Adding new content to work with in the content browser.

2) How do I add new stuff? I managed to add the really nice "easy level creating material (worldgrid43)", so thanks for this amazing material https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-for-you-guys-) but its just some materials and textures you can put in a new folder in your UT Project (so I'm trying to say, I'm fine with that). But what about totally new projects? Im currently working on an island map, submerged in an ocean, so I'm looking for a cool Ocean-Material, I wondered if somehow I can use this: https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject the UE4-OceanProject. (yeah UTE is at version 4.8 right now, should watch out for that). Do I have to install UE4 ("clean" version) and use the "migrate-tool" to add this content to UTE (that is the Unreal Tournament Project)? Or isn't it possible at all? Or should I create my own Ocean-material? That leads to my third question.... the "vault"

3) I "bought" the "Open World Demo Collection" https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...emo-collection from the UE Marketplace, wich added the content to my Vault... but how can i import this stuff to UTE? If I click "add to new project" in the UE->Library->Vault section (Epic games launcher), there are no projects to select at all (because again, it's UE and not UTE?) --> so how can I import stuff bought in the marketplace to UTE?

4) Also i stumbled upon this website: https://stevelois.wordpress.com/unre...ue4-resources/ I wanted to add the "Rocks mini pack" by Yoeri Vleer to my Project/UTE/Content browser/Level/whatever? and couldn't quiet figure out what would be the right way to do it. Again, just copy folders to "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/..." on your HDD? ("..." and then what?! What is the right way to organize folders? see next question). Or is there a better method to import those kind of packages?

5) If i add new content to the content browser, what kind of structure you would recommend for folders? I read that you should leave RestrictedAssets to content made by Epic and should create new folders for your maps you are working with and put stuff to subfolders there. How do you handle it guys?

Hope you can help me, to figure out the right way to handle importing content
    Didn't really know where to put this thread, so feel free to relocate it to a better matching subforum if needed.
    Thanks to all of you,
    Cheers!
    An unreal project can be a complete game and UTE is specifically for Unreal Tournament, so is essentially creating levels and content to be added to the Unreal Tournament as an unreal asset, or pack.
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 10-07-2015, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• General questions about Unreal Tournament Editor (UTE) - importing content

Hello Guys,

first of all, I love UT it's so great, that Epic develops UT4 including the community, so I recently started creating my own map(s). Just for fun, maybe if the work turns out well, i will submit some of my work to the forums. I'm totally new to UE, so I have some general questions about the Unreal Tournament flavored version of UE4, didn't find any help regarding my problem, hope you can help me out.

1) Just to get things straight in the beginning, what are the basic differences between UT flavored UE4 version (lets call it UTE) and the "normal" UE4? And what means that for me?
    The UTE is a "project" (by meanings of projects you can create in UE4) by itself, right? That's the reason why, if you want to create new content in UTE you can only create new "levels" and no new projects?
    I'm asking, because this leads to my second question: Adding new content to work with in the content browser.

2) How do I add new stuff? I managed to add the really nice "easy level creating material (worldgrid43)", so thanks for this amazing material https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-for-you-guys-) but its just some materials and textures you can put in a new folder in your UT Project (so I'm trying to say, I'm fine with that). But what about totally new projects? Im currently working on an island map, submerged in an ocean, so I'm looking for a cool Ocean-Material, I wondered if somehow I can use this: https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject the UE4-OceanProject. (yeah UTE is at version 4.8 right now, should watch out for that). Do I have to install UE4 ("clean" version) and use the "migrate-tool" to add this content to UTE (that is the Unreal Tournament Project)? Or isn't it possible at all? Or should I create my own Ocean-material? That leads to my third question.... the "vault"

3) I "bought" the "Open World Demo Collection" https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...emo-collection from the UE Marketplace, wich added the content to my Vault... but how can i import this stuff to UTE? If I click "add to new project" in the UE->Library->Vault section (Epic games launcher), there are no projects to select at all (because again, it's UE and not UTE?) --> so how can I import stuff bought in the marketplace to UTE?

4) Also i stumbled upon this website: https://stevelois.wordpress.com/unre...ue4-resources/ I wanted to add the "Rocks mini pack" by Yoeri Vleer to my Project/UTE/Content browser/Level/whatever? and couldn't quiet figure out what would be the right way to do it. Again, just copy folders to "Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/..." on your HDD? ("..." and then what?! What is the right way to organize folders? see next question). Or is there a better method to import those kind of packages?

5) If i add new content to the content browser, what kind of structure you would recommend for folders? I read that you should leave RestrictedAssets to content made by Epic and should create new folders for your maps you are working with and put stuff to subfolders there. How do you handle it guys?

Hope you can help me, to figure out the right way to handle importing content
    Didn't really know where to put this thread, so feel free to relocate it to a better matching subforum if needed.
    Thanks to all of you,
    Cheers!
Working...
X