BSP issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSP issues

So I'm just learning the new UE4 editor and have ran into a weird issue with placing two additive BSP blocks next to each other.

This only seems to happen on the one side of the brush on half of the face. If I move it away from the edge of the brush under it or move it up a bit the clipping goes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

No idea, this has been happening to me too in the last 2 builds.
    PayBack

Comment

Wasn't able to figure out why this was happening to this one side of the BSP block so I just moved it up 100 units and it doesn't happen any more, weird.

Comment

Looks like a BSP hole. Usually caused by bsp brushes not aligned to the grid, or overly complex shapes (even though it appears as a cube, if there are any extra verticies in weird locations or off grid) or having a concave surface.

Comment

Ive started having this happen more and more lately. Ive found the quickest way to fix it is to just delete the BSP and remake it.
          PayBack

Comment

I have seen stuff dissapearing/reappearing even when you switch modes (e.g. lit/unlit). I was not able to reproduce it in a small example though

Comment

This has always happened with the engine.
              A partial solution was made with semi-solids (that don't cut the underlying BSP into triangles or squares for rendering).
              Try deleting the last BSP added, rebuild and see if the problem remains.
              Keep deleting damaged BSP until all holes disappear.
              Then try using semi-solid brushes to replace (pinkish coloured BSP in grid views - solid is blue).
              You can get away with a lot more with semi-solids but certainly it has limits.

The main solution was to replace BSP with static meshes.
              Maps made by Epic contain very little BSP.

Have a look at CTF-TitanPass.
              Everything is static meshes, with collision handled by blocking volumes for simplicity.

If you MUST use BSP remember K.I.S.S.
              Keep it simple.

Comment

Id disregard the last half of what Yeti said if youre just shelling a map, theres no need for static meshes in the shelling stage.

If you're still having problems with the map make sure youre using a saving model of save as to a new file name rather than overwriting the same file.

Saving to a new file means you can still revert back numerous steps if something is seriously astray.

Comment

Originally posted by lawlorz View Post
                  If you're still having problems with the map make sure youre using a saving model of save as to a new file name rather than overwriting the same file.

Saving to a new file means you can still revert back numerous steps if something is seriously astray.
                  Quoted for truth!

I tend to save to a new file every hour or two plus I'll usually save just before ripping things apart to redo a part of the map... That way if I mess something up I don't lose much work.

Comment

Working...
                  X