Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merged Meshes - how to handle?

Hi guys,

right now I'am planing on meshing a shell I started a while ago. To keep all the meshes organized I tried to merge some meshes. I got some problems with this.

So what did I do:
    I placed some meshes arranged them ... and merged them. All looked good in the beginning, but after saving and restarting the editor some "errors" occured.

-It looks like the I always have to generate a UV-Map. Otherwise the UV's are overlapping causing some strange lighting.
    -The merged meshes seems to have different LOD-Levels, causing parts of the merged mesh to disappear ...

This looks okayish, though not perfect ... I checked "Generate UV-Map". Think I have to choose to amount of target channels coherent to the amount of materials used.
    Also I choose "0" as LOD-Level, which prevents parts of merged mesh form disappearing.

This is what it looks like without changing any of the option. Got some really strange lighting effects. Also the inner parts of that doorframe disappear, becausing they have a different LOD-Level than those trims.

Is there a guide for "Merged Meshes"? I found some topics for "Merged Meshes", but they only explain where to find the feature itself.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by milb; 11-01-2015, 04:07 AM.
    If you see me grinning, it's a disguise.
    If you see me grinning, don't trust my lies.
    When the ink dries, we'll have another masterpiece.
    When the drink dies, we'll have another restless sleep.

I haven't personally done this but I know merging meshes is primarily for performance optimization. Couldn't you achieve the same result by selecting the meshes and Grouping them together? Sorry if you were already aware of that
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

I ran into similar problems with merged meshes. Everything looks great with the original meshes but if I merge them I wind up with terrible looking lighting artifacts on the merged mesh(es). Even with something as simple as 2 instances of the same wall mesh rotated and placed back to back so it's the same on both sides.

I just gave up on using merged meshes for the time being.
      Last edited by MoxNix; 11-01-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Try modifying lightmap resolution plus merge materials(atlas size + export normal map ticked). Was having issues till playing with them.

Two merged things selected for reference.

No responsibility taken for this being the right/wrong way as I have no idea and just click checked boxes and build lighting till stuff looks correct-ish.

Anyone know how to fix bp_splinemesh, it seems broken (can't add points) this build
        Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Could someone explain the difference between merging and grouping? And if so, do both affect performance(in a positive way) and which is better, merge or group ?

Originally posted by joellll View Post
          Anyone know how to fix bp_splinemesh, it seems broken (can't add points) this build
          I had issues too, but after restarting UE the points appeared again. Was somewhat weird, they just randomly disappeared and randomly appeared again after restarting, engine must have bugged out or something.
          Which Spline Blueprint do you use? In Outpost they mainly used the BP_SimpleSplineZ which works for most of the things, Pauls Spline is also working but has some lighting issues(which are propably due to the mesh and not the Blueprint itself). Also make sure that you selected the blueprint in the details panel and not the mesh.
          Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
          Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
            Which Spline Blueprint do you use? In Outpost they mainly used the BP_SimpleSplineZ which works for most of the things, Pauls Spline is also working but has some lighting issues(which are propably due to the mesh and not the Blueprint itself). Also make sure that you selected the blueprint in the details panel and not the mesh.
            BP_Splinemesh

I don't think you can add addition control points to simplespline x/y/z. With BP_splinemesh you can add a control point and it (previously) added another mesh in. So you essentially had two meshes butted up against each other perfectly, with no visible join due to misalignment.

Now it adds the additional control point but does not add the mesh. To do this rightclick on the "line" to access the option. Also the spline has nicer handles compared to the simple spline things. Not a major difference.
            Last edited by joellll; 11-02-2015, 06:23 AM.
            Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
              Could someone explain the difference between merging and grouping?
              Merging makes a brand new mesh out of 2 or more meshes.

Comment

I tried to play around with the lightmap options. No real difference, no matter what options I use. Everything seems to be okay at first, but after a full rebuild I got the same strange problems again.
                I decided to group the meshes. This causes no problems with the lightmaps or the collision. Thinking about the performance this might not be the wisest idea!

@joell: First of all, this looks sexy!^^ The difference between you merged mesh and mine is the following: Your meshes don't overlap ... my meshes overlap. I think that is the main reason for my problem.
                If you see me grinning, it's a disguise.
                If you see me grinning, don't trust my lies.
                When the ink dries, we'll have another masterpiece.
                When the drink dies, we'll have another restless sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by joellll View Post
                  Try modifying lightmap resolution plus merge materials(atlas size + export normal map ticked). Was having issues till playing with them.
                  That did the trick! Thanks so much.
                  Last edited by MoxNix; 12-01-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X