Fixing Uneven Light on a Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing Uneven Light on a Wall

This wall should look like one solid wall, but some cuts (different BSP components) are being lit differently. Is there a good way to fix this? (Yeah, I could make those particular cuts 1 unit thick and they'd maintain the purpose and no one would notice, but I want to learn to fix this stuff.)

UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

The tried and true method, cover them with a mesh!
    PayBack

Comment

That assumes that you know how to deal with meshes. I'm just a hack amateur, and I know nothing about them other than perhaps inserting and scaling pre-made meshes that are already in the engine, but there isn't going to be a pre-made mesh with that custom material already applied to it for me in that shape.

I'm guessing that there's some sort of a combination of light / texture / material properties that I can use to get rid of shadowing. In the UT99 Editor, texture surfaces simply had a "Surface Properties - Bright Corners" option. There must be something equivalent in UE4.
      Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 11-23-2015, 03:55 AM.
      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
        That assumes that you know how to deal with meshes. I'm just a hack amateur, and I know nothing about them other than perhaps inserting and scaling pre-made meshes that are already in the engine, but there isn't going to be a pre-made mesh with that custom material already applied to it for me in that shape.

I'm guessing that there's some sort of a combination of light / texture / material properties that I can use to get rid of shadowing. In the UT99 Editor, texture surfaces simply had a "Surface Properties - Bright Corners" option. There must be something equivalent in UE4.
        That looks like a reflection issue coupled with not using a subtractive BSP for the gap/hole/door?

Using a reflection volume (cubic) might be better than (perhaps) a sphere? Very hard to know without seeing the editor viewpoint details and is just guesswork right now.
        Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
        X