Question" Publishing Level Time lasting for hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question" Publishing Level Time lasting for hours

I am working on a map and upon completing the BSP block-out of the level had no problem following the share level instructions and packaging up a pak file in a reasonable amount of time. That was a month and a half ago, so I don't remember exactly how long it took to package, but less than an hour seems right. Since then, I have added a some of my own content (meshes, textures, etc.) and am following the same steps. My last attempt to share, I let it run for 15 hours straight and not a thing has changed in the output log. All it will say is:
    LogPackageContent: Starting to publish this level!
    LogPackageContent: Starting UAT Task: /c ""C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/RunUAT.bat" makeUTDLC -DLCName=DM-CaveTemple2 -platform=Win64 -version=3008041"
    LogPackageContent: Publishing: Running AutomationTool...
    And I just get the "Packaging Level..." window at the bottom right of my screen. No errors, but nothing in the Log. I have read in some threads people claiming the packing took them 16 hours. That seems a bit ridiculous to put together a playable version of a level that already has its lighting built and everything is error free.

At this point as the output log just tells me its running the Automation Tool and not a thing about what that tool is doing, so I don't know if its stuck, or just designed to not print anything to the log while running. At this point, after 2 days and multiple times canceling it, I am worried that something else is causing it to not build properly. I have packaged up a game in UE4 with greater complexity in less than 2 hours. So I guess my question is: is waiting 24 hours for a level to package normal? Is there a timeframe that if nothing happens I should just give up and look for external issues causing it to not pack? Does anyone know how long it takes to package up a complete epic level like Titan Pass for reference. I've heard all sorts of times in threads from 30 minutes to 16 hours...

For reference, I am running an i5 quad core at 3.30GHz, and 16 gb of ram. While its running, only about 30% of my CPU is being used, so thankfully I can still use my rig for other things. And as far as I can tell, Neither my Firewall or my Antivirus are blocking it.
    DM_CaveTemple
    WIP Map

Just for reference I'm running similar hardware i5 4690 at 3.5/3.9 Ghz with 16G memory and Samsung 850 Evo 250G SSDs but I've never had a map take more than an hour or so to pack... At least not a map that's intended to be played in game anyhow. Huge engine demos converted to run in the game are another story, some of them took a few hours and I haven't tried packing the really huge ones like Infiltrator or A Boy and his Kite either.

Packing always takes longer after you add new assets to a map or edit existing assets it uses, meshes, materials. blueprints or w/e. They don't have to be completely new either, just new to that map and not part of the stock assets that come with the game. After you add something new it seems to recompress everything the map uses all over again. Same thing if you edit any assets, including stock assets. After packing the first time it'll rebuild much faster until you add another new asset or edit an existing asset.

Also, just simply looking at an asset in any of the asset editors without changing anything seems to be enough for the editor to decide the asset needs to be recompiled and that'll trigger a full recompress of everything next time you pack. A way to work around that is exit the editor without saving the assets you looked at but didn't change and then restart the editor.
    Last edited by MoxNix; 12-05-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Ok. With that information, I can only conclude something else is going wrong beside my impatience. By no means is the level I am trying to package finished, let alone more complex than some of Epic's tech demos. I let it run for 30 hours straight and decided that was enough time to conclude that its not actually running the automation tool. I am currently attempting to package an existing shell map, CTF-Mine to see if it will package that. If I run into the same issue, is there a certain window's process that runs while packaging, like the swarm agent for building lights I can look for and be sure isn't being blocked by antivirus? Otherwise, I think the next step will have to be backing up my content and uninstalling/reinstalling the editor in the even that something got corrupted. I did have some internet connection outages during the last update, though running a verification from the launcher came up with nothing.
      DM_CaveTemple
      WIP Map

Comment

Yup, if the output log window doesn't open automatically just click the "show output log" link under "packaging level..." in the bottom right corner.

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, I know how to open the Output log. My original post had quoted text copied from it. My problem is that the process will not get past the 3rd line of text printed after the packaging of my level starts in the output log. Your screenshot clearly shows much more going on during the packaging process in the output log. It says that it is running the "Automation Tool" and nothing past that. Looking at the processes running via Windows Task Manager, there is a Automationtool.exe running, actually multiple instances of it, but using zero system resources. The attempts to package an existing level have failed, so I'm moving on to a reinstall as my next step.
          DM_CaveTemple
          WIP Map

Comment

I wasn't sure if that was text out of the window or from an actual log file on disk (those are in ...Documents\UnrealPak\Saved\Logs). Anyhow there's a lot of text scrolling by quickly... At least until it gets to "compressing" stuff with shader compilers running in the background (which it doesn't always need to do), then it slows down. But it doesn't sound like you're getting that far.

I'd try turning off the virus checker, maybe the firewall too and see if it works then. I do know it runs an http process that, if you leave the "would you like to share this file" window up for a long time after it finishes packing, eventually times out and generates an error message as the last thing in the log. Not sure if that http process is running the whole time (talking to big brother at epic HQ) or only started after packing finishes (I'm guessing it's only at the end).
            Last edited by MoxNix; 12-06-2015, 03:10 AM.

Comment

That was it! Avast is blocking the process. I will need to do some tinkering to add the proper exceptions. Oi... I went through and checked UT, but it must be one of the separate processes that is being blocked. Disabling Avast temporarily got it to work.
              DM_CaveTemple
              WIP Map

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!
                Win 10
                iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Working...
                X