Level Design Mentor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level Design Mentor?

I didn't know where else to put this since I found out UE's student section disappeared, but this is more specific to what I'm doing. I am a high school senior attempting to do my senior project required to graduate and this is practical portion of it. I first wrote a 8-10 page research paper and my topic was on level design and game play in video games; however, to continue I require a mentor of sorts to advise or assist me during the project in some way. In other words I'll probably be asking you to answer some questions and look over my work from time to time. I plan to create a CTF map from scratch with what I know of the editor and learning along the way. We would also be communicating through something like Skype or email just to be clear. I'm sorry if I'm intruding in here with this topic, but I am required to have a mentor in order to complete the project. Thanks if you are considering this, it means a lot. If you need any other information(i.e. what my school district is since they are the ones requiring this project) feel free to ask.
    Thanks again.

Originally posted by Docmudkipz View Post
    I didn't know where else to put this since I found out UE's student section disappeared, but this is more specific to what I'm doing. I am a high school senior attempting to do my senior project required to graduate and this is practical portion of it. I first wrote a 8-10 page research paper and my topic was on level design and game play in video games; however, to continue I require a mentor of sorts to advise or assist me during the project in some way. In other words I'll probably be asking you to answer some questions and look over my work from time to time. I plan to create a CTF map from scratch with what I know of the editor and learning along the way. We would also be communicating through something like Skype or email just to be clear. I'm sorry if I'm intruding in here with this topic, but I am required to have a mentor in order to complete the project. Thanks if you are considering this, it means a lot. If you need any other information(i.e. what my school district is since they are the ones requiring this project) feel free to ask.
    Thanks again.
    Everything you've listed can be covered in the WIP section.

I'd like to add something though: do not under any circumstances give away any information about yourself over the godamn internet, even innocuous stuffs like the name of your school district!

One more time: everything you need for the completion of your project can be covered in the WIP section of the forums.

All the best in your project, and hope this is the beginning of a prosperous journey for you!
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

What exactly am I looking for on the WIP subforum? I actually need a person to provide written verification for a portfolio that documents my work.

Comment

I think what Mitch is intending to say is that you may use the WIP forum as a resource for your research paper as long as you properly cite it. Through the WIP forum you should be able to find applicable methods and quotes regarding level design that could potentially be useful for your paper -- and alternatively to satisfy the "mentor" requirement if you can find one person with particular interest in your level that would be willing to provide guidance and criticism via the forum, then without having to give personal information you could potentially meet that requirement (check with your teacher/advisor though).

I agree with Mitch's statement about giving out personal information. However, if you absolutely must find a mentor and are required to engage them without the protection of anonymity -- then there are some alternative professional websites and/or persons you might contact. The first thing you should do though is investigate a person's credentials, rather than rely on a random person who says they are interested.

Send a PM to one of the Epic Games level designers working on Unreal Tournament, you might be surprised if they would be willing to help. Or another game level designer. Check out the credits to one of your favorite games and send a message/e-mail. At least with this method, you are targeting professional level designers.

Comment

I've actually already finished the paper which was actually due way back in November last year and was looking to continue in the project. Thanks for the tip though, I'll see about about contacting one of them some time later.

I actually feel a little stupid about that little end in hindsight and will try to avoid that kind of stuff from now on. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X