Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
    Poor guy might be scared away after this thread...

I had just had yet another sleepless night of nightmares involving splines not aligning. You should see me when I am actually on form.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not really no, I have a bachelors in game design, and by no means am I a newb. However, as I said I have mostly focused on single player stuff. I have contract work now but I need to focus on some multiplayer stuff. Ive played UT for years, so I figured I already am familiar with UE4, might as well make something for UT. Since my portfolio consists of a visual corridor I did when UE4 first came out and some stuff from school for UDK, it needs more content.

Scared? Nah
    Was just looking for information from more experienced map makers. Which really all I got was play CTF, grey box, test, refine, repeat. :P

No worries though, I found something in the base level design forum!
    Last edited by Hospina; 01-15-2016, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Poor guy might be scared away after this thread...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not too many game studios actually make multiplayer games and not too many games offer decent modding tools. If you want to get a job the industry, could be best to focus more on creating level design friendly UT mods or UE4 mini-games and make maps for those. And that's why it's important for level designers to have a decent background in programming and understand at least the basic of an art pipeline.
    Last edited by 3Dmatic; 01-15-2016, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As mentioned above, play the game until you fully understand how it works , it may take a while. That doesn't mean to say stop mapping until you have played for several months, by all means, map as much as you can I've made myself a goal to try and make 2 playable map shells a week for the next few weeks, then I will pick one shell that I like the most and work on that, I also make sure it's fun for Instagib as well as normal weapons.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Welcome to the club

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OMG Mitch! That was awesome!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    - Play UT for a while first
    - Learn how to make maps for UT and the different game types
    - Learn game programming
    - Get a basic understanding of an art pipeline (model, bake, texture and export to game engine)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PayBack View Post
    You really cant tell someone how to make a good ctf map. A good CTF map maker will also be a good CTF player and understand the game play and mechanics very well. If you don't understand them and don't actually play it, you will never make a good ctf map.
    /Signed.

That's always the first step. Play the game in CTF. Not just UT, but Quake, TF2 etc - it's all relative.

In the most simplistic mathematical terms and the most convenient definitions:

Flag distance divided by space, multiplied by time, with the square root of player and environmental obstacles = CTF map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hospina View Post
    So I need to add some real maps with gameplay to my portfolio if I ever want to get a job in the industry, go figure right? Im pretty decent with the editor, usually whatever I dont know I can research or find some tutorial or some such. Being MOSTLY a single player guy I have a question in regards to UT ctf/dm maps in general.

How does the combat flow in a CTF map, what do you like? What do you dislike? What are must haves? I know the combat in UT is fast and furious, do I need any sort of cover?

Ive been using this as a sort of reference:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Bobby...vel_Design.php
    You really cant tell someone how to make a good ctf map. A good CTF map maker will also be a good CTF player and understand the game play and mechanics very well. If you dont understand them and dont actually play it, you will never make a good ctf map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hospina View Post
    So I need to add some real maps with gameplay to my portfolio if I ever want to get a job in the industry, go figure right? Im pretty decent with the editor, usually whatever I dont know I can research or find some tutorial or some such. Being MOSTLY a single player guy I have a question in regards to UT ctf/dm maps in general.

How does the combat flow in a CTF map, what do you like?
    What do you dislike? What are must haves?
    I know the combat in UT is fast and furious, do I need any sort of cover?

I've been using this as a sort of reference:

Step 1: Play CTF.
    Step 2: Create BSP map.
    Step 3: Upload it for testing.
    Step 4: Read comments and feedback.
    Step 5: Iterate map design.
    Step 6: Repeat steps 2, 3, 4, 5 until comments and feedback are 100% positive.
    Step 7: Begin art pass.
    Step 8: Repeat step 3, 4 until comments and feedback are 100% positive.
    Step 9: Finalise art and upload.
    Step 10: Place order for Ferrari, congrats, you are a multimillionaire!

You will need the following for the steps above:-

Step 1: A PC with mouse and keyboard.
    Step 2: Items in Step 1, plus coffee, headache pills and classical music.
    Step 3: Items in Step 1, 2 plus an internet connection.
    Step 4: The telephone number of a good psychologist and an hour's worth of time to work out problems with your father. Possibly a punchbag and boxing gloves.
    Step 5: Items in Step 1, 2, 3 plus the new crocodile skin obtained from the psychologist.
    Step 6: Time you don't have time for, as you can see your life disappearing down the sink-hole of your life, as yet another spline doesn't align itself to the grid and deletes an entire section of your map.
    Step 7: Items in Step 1, 2, 3, a beret and hand-rolled cigarette, plus dark, horn-rimmed sunglasses.
    Step 8: Items from Step 5, possibly a loan to cover legal fees incurred from an 'incident' with a lamp-post and trash-can.
    Step 9: Items from Steps 1, 2, 3, 7 plus a record player and a copy of Riders on the Storm by The Doors, because in CTF there is the known and the unknown, between them are The Doors. A telephone to tell your mom you are awesome and that she can tell the neighbours that you are not a failure at the weekly knitting circle.
    Step 10: My telephone number, and a great investment opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic UT map/combat flow questions

UT map/combat flow questions

How does the combat flow in a CTF map, what do you like? What do you dislike? What are must haves? I know the combat in UT is fast and furious, do I need any sort of cover?

Ive been using this as a sort of reference:

Working...
X