Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    Honestly unless this area is really big, memory heavy, or has a lot of complex persistent cpu usage (like a massive blueprint) the loading hitch will likely be more disruptive in a MP environment than just letting normal occlusion take care of culling it when the player isn't there.

The level streaming docs are aimed heavily towards larger environments and aren't massively useful at this scale. That said check out the Content Examples on the UE launcher, it has an example set up which might help you work it out.

edit: also check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKa3riX_MI
    Well, it's not that it's big...just difficult to hide it from view without breaking immersion.

Essentially it's for DM-Station Version8 and the TP location has been moved to a planet surface (using landscape tool) very close to the Sun, which is visible from the space station.

So it's really for sci-fi reasons I'm doing it as a player will be on the space station and zip-zap be on an alien planet much much closer to the Sun than the station. This is really nice as the player will be extremely conscious they are significantly closer to the Sun, due to the size of the sun being 'like a factor of 50 times larger than it appears on the Station.

The distance is quite viewable, and having the Alien planet surface visible just makes it look naff when looking from the station, because then the player will be saying and thinking the same thing I am, instead of being all 'hey, this is really cool'. I do like to have atmospherically pleasing results in builds, with ambient audio sound FX and audio volumes; so this type of thing is very important to get right. If I get it wrong, then it will be poorly received, regardless of the actual design of the layout.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try, but I think I tried that technique before and it wasn't working with landscapes but I think that was a prior build in UTE4...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Honestly unless this area is really big, memory heavy, or has a lot of complex persistent cpu usage (like a massive blueprint) the loading hitch will likely be more disruptive in a MP environment than just letting normal occlusion take care of culling it when the player isn't there.

The level streaming docs are aimed heavily towards larger environments and aren't massively useful at this scale. That said check out the Content Examples on the UE launcher, it has an example set up which might help you work it out.

edit: also check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKa3riX_MI

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Level Streaming

Level Streaming

Yo.

So, I'm trying to make a segment of a map invisible using level streaming and level bounding/bounds and simply can't work out how to make a segment of a map invisible unless a player is inside it.

From a design perspective, it's essentially a teleport location which I want to remain invisible unless a player is inside of it.

The location has its own nav mesh, PPV etc and is, for all intents and purposes, not part of the main map/level. A player will teleport there, boom, collect a pickup, boom, straight out and back to the map/level.

Any ideas? because all the drop downs and volumes I can see do not appear to offer this...or I'm being incredibly stupid about this.
Working...
X