This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, you guys are swift, indeed.
    I am fine with 2,4,8,16, or 5,10,15,25, mostly, just one thing annoys me sometimes is 5 can't not be evenly divided. But this is not a big deal.
    As for deck BSP, I am currently work on the one that is not exactly ported from UT99 (I exported the 99 BSP and started from there but then added lots of modifications), so I guess I can't really help much here.
    What I did and learned so far from UT99 to UE4 for deck:
    - Used the BSP exporting tool xtremexp made years ago
    - Exported UT99 deck to UT3, then converted BSP to static meshes, and then exported to 3dsmax
    - Enlarged to about 1.5x, usually a map from UT3 to UE4, could be 1.875x larger, because of the character size difference, but I found UT99 deck of 1.875x in UE4 looks too big, so I reduced a bit.
    - Had to compared it with UT3 deck for a few times, because I really like the scale of UT3 deck

Also I uploaded a new UT compatible version of my WIP deck. Next I am also going to replace the mesh layout with BSP. I figure it is more easier for anyone to modify the layout directly in the editor so discussion could be based on something solid. I would like to share the 3dsmax file but obviously BSP is better.
    [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
      Sweet!

Good job, Thomson!
      The overall size looks like it could profit from roughly a 10% upscaling (alternatively, you could try 25% and see how that turns out, should be on grid then at least). Not sure if there is still a map scaling tool or a scaling widget in Unreal Engine 4 (didn't buy it yet, but intend to soon), but should that be the case, I suggest making a backup of the current version and selecting everything and upscaling it by various values to see how that works out. I'm sure the people at Epic will be glad to have different scales to see what works best for the gameplay!
      Actually I feel the current size is good. I think I need to try the new exporting tool.

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
        Actually I feel the current size is good.
        Still can't get my hands on the editor, but from the video the size is definitively good. Well yeah, we should talk about this when weapons and other players are added, sure

Good job Thomson

Comment

I can't seem to get any bsp to import to UE4 without being completely messed up - even if passing it over UDK first (imports to UDK fine, but not UE4) - any ideas? (all from UE1 source)

Comment

Deck16 submission

@Entropy

Ok, I've finished the layout of the map. I decided to add lighting to help get a better sense of the space, so I hope that's not going to mess things up. The scale should be about 95% correct, I couldn't get everything exactly as it was originally.

I'll PM you a copy of the map.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	328647Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	328648Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	328649
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SwiftMalachi; 05-18-2014, 04:32 PM.
            --------------------------------------
            clstirens
            Level Designer

Comment

I just finished DM-Curse][ BSP, i've also stripped both Curse and Deck16 from textures for now and added some ambient light.

Here is the showcase of Curse][

I've anyone is interested in them feel free to sent me a PM.

@chonglee
              I really liked your version of the map, keep up the good work.
              Last edited by Thomson; 05-18-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't mind getting the map files to take a look at how they were built, if you guys don't mind.

You should create a pull request on github for each of your maps to get them pulled into the WIP folder of the epic git.

Comment

Interested, these both look great Thompson, I have full UE4 so if you wouldn't mind sharing a link of the maps I'd love to run around them. I'm personally working on Grendel (since it can go both DM/CTF).
                  __
                  Sr. Product Manager @ PopCap (EA)
                  aka danimal for my oldschool Unreal peeps

Comment

Originally posted by Thomson View Post
                    I just finished DM-Curse][ BSP, i've also stripped both Curse and Deck16 from textures for now and added some ambient light.
                    Curse looks sexy!
                    At this rate, we can remake all the previous official UT maps in like 6 months!

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                    Wouldn't mind getting the map files to take a look at how they were built, if you guys don't mind.

You should create a pull request on github for each of your maps to get them pulled into the WIP folder of the epic git.
                    Isn't a pull request only for code?
                    I have uploaded my maps to a public sharing depot (wuala), so everyone can download directly.

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
                      Curse looks sexy!
                      At this rate, we can remake all the previous official UT maps in like 6 months!

Isn't a pull request only for code?
                      I have uploaded my maps to a public sharing depot (wuala), so everyone can download directly.

As I understand it, Epic are using git for everything until they get to a stage where they decide on what repo they will use (due to the size of the game)

maybe I heard/read that wrong. or not at all. my sanity isn't exactly assured these days.

I did take a look at deepblue, it is nice work, interesting to see maps that are built with meshes - hoping to see some guides show up of that method later down the track.

Comment

@chonglee
                        I think the best option is to create a pull request to the Unreal tournament github. In this way all the community development team can access the work and see it with the movement additions, weapon design... etc, in the same uproject

keep the good work. Curse looks pretty good!!

As I see, deck and curse are already preported so I'll start with DM-Agony or DM-Liandri from ut99. Is ok? Some favorite?

edit:

i have used the new t3d exporting tool, but at importing to UE4.... the result is crazy. There is some parameter i need to check? the grid is set to power of 2, but i there must be something im doing bad

@thomson, could you upload the levels to the github project? it will be fantastic!
                        Last edited by Tirias; 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM.
                        unrealer since 1998

Comment

Thanks to everyone who contributed here, super useful. I'll take a look at these maps (already downloaded them all) and get back to you later today!
                          Jim Brown
                          @EntropicDev
                          Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                            Thanks to everyone who contributed here, super useful. I'll take a look at these maps (already downloaded them all) and get back to you later today!
                            I starting to make deck last night.. if anything to get used to the new UE4 BSP editing tools. In all my past work I would make my levels with a large additive block then I would cut out of it. In the UDK project I am in most of the level ends up being mesh so I have started making the bsp all additive. I have also started DM-deck this way. If it is too late to finish this I would still like to hear your feedback about the others as to best practices in UE4 BSP.
                            Bazz

View my portfolio
                            Unreal mod member since 2002
                            CTF-Safeguard3, CTF-Dreary3, CTF-Stratus (V1.2), CTF-Pipeline(WIP)

Comment

The version of deck I submitted to entropy used a large additive brush, and then I used subtractive brushes to created the level geo.

Edit: I might make a video showcasing my version of deck later, if anyone's interested (my screenshots didn't really go over well).
                              Last edited by SwiftMalachi; 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM.
                              --------------------------------------
                              clstirens
                              Level Designer

Comment

This is something im interested in to hear from the devs.
                                What are the pro's and con's with additive and subtrative way of building a map?

Mine was subtractive too.

Comment

Working...
                                X