How To Best Back Up The Content Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Best Back Up The Content Folder

Not sure this is the right topic to post under (please move if needed)

I have a question for the pro level designers out there.

What is the best and quickest way to back up your work as you go? Do any of you use cloud storage? I'm wondering if there is a way to make the editor content folder auto update to a cloud? And if so, what cloud storage would be best to use?

I lost a lot of work yesterday as my hard drive got full, editor crashed, saved my umap files as 0kb. I had no other storage to back up on. That's why I think it would be great to have a simple auto backup system going on as you work.

Any suggestions?
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

When I'm working from home, with the same method that you do, I keep 3 working files of a map, for example ctf-mattdamon, ctfmattdamon1 etc etc, and always save as the files, every 30 mins or so of work. After every session I then rar them and copy them to a different HDD, I do similar things for assets but I don't have multiple working files with those. This method, gives me a short term backup of the past hour or so of work, in-case I have to go back to get something. Copying to another HDD obviously has long term benefits. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Chris.Kay; 04-22-2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Personally I have a backup on a second drive and just copy my maps folder once a week or so. I also keep a USB stick with the same info on I do every month or so. UE is fairly robust and is fairly happy for you to just stick things in as and where you need to.

edit: Oh yeah, as Chris says, I tend to have several working files I tend to save over as I go. Largely so it's easy to revert iterations rather than encase of data loss.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's.

I tend to back up as I go, naming the map something different each time, in case I brake something without noticing. I don't have a spare hard drive right now, So I'm resorting to DropBox. I currently run an internal 1TB split between Mac OS and Windows OS, the Windows partitions the one that ran out of space. I have a new external 1TB hard drive arriving today, I'm gonna install windows 10 on it and use the other 1TB drive just for my Mac OS and programs. I will eventually get myself another external just for backup proposes, and maybe run an auto back up program to back up all my work files as I go.
        Win 10
        3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
        32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:
        DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
        2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

While I'm working on a map ill save to the same file every few minutes and then after ive made a reasonable amount of progress (usually every 30 mins or so) ill save to a new file increasing the version number. I have a backup program that runs every few hours and backs up my work to my NAS. Would be easy enough to just manually zip the maps after each sitting and upload to your dropbox. I tend to end up with hundreds of files by the time a map is completed. Works well for going back if something breaks, or to simply review your work and how you did things from much earlier in the process.

Comment

Thanks for al the reply's

I finally got another external hard drive to back up on. Phew!
            Win 10
            3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
            32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Working...
            X