Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy level design material for you guys :)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy level design material for you guys :)

Hi Unreal Tournament developers!

Here is my first contribution for the Unreal community.
    I made an easy to use material for creating levels inside the Unreal Editor. The settings are now tweaked for the new Unreal Tournament.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FinalShader.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	353038

So, what does this material do?
    1) It projects a grid over the mesh/brush so you can easily see how well everything is aligned.
    2) It has a different color for floors/walls/ceilings, this way you can easily see when the floor becomes to steep to walk on.
    Here is an example, the left one is possible to walk on, the right one is to steep:

Name:	SlopeColor.jpg
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	353039

3) The material is emissive, so the brushes don't become black every time you move them around. Basically, you don't have to rebuilt with every chance you do.
    The emissive input has a lot of shading data, to fake "lighting". Here is a comparison between the unlit and the lit version:

Name:	Unlit.jpg
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	353040

Name:	FinalShader.jpg
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	353038

You can download the file right here:
    http://www.roelbartstra.com/unrealen...esignmaterial/

If you guys have any feedback or requests, feel free to post it here on the forums or on my blog.

Enjoy!

Hey buddy, thanks a lot for this! this will surely make blocking out a lot more productive.

Comment

Fantastic developer textures, a very useful asset to provide!

If you're looking for ways to expand it, have you looked at Valves developer textures provided with the Source SDK?
      Tripmine Studios
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tripmine Studios | Operation Black Mesa | FRAG Twitter
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      FRAG Level Design | CTF-Atmos

Comment

Nice. I may try my hand at this if I can ever pull myself away from programming to block out a level or two.
        Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
        Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
        Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

This is very nice and useful.
          Good work sir.
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

Comment

Thanks this is great!
            Joseph Frederick
            FoeJred@Gmail.com
            www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Originally posted by FRAG View Post
              Fantastic developer textures, a very useful asset to provide!

If you're looking for ways to expand it, have you looked at Valves developer textures provided with the Source SDK?
              Hi FRAG,

I used those a lot when working with Source in the past, I kind of based the idea on it. I did not do the size numbers on the texture, since you get used to the sizes quickly, so for me there was no need to mess up the texture with that info.
              On the other hand, I made it very flexible so it could be used in any project you want. You can change the grid texture and size it projects on, you can change all the sizes, and you can adjust most of the shading. You can also adjust the angle you can walk on.

So feel free to adjust/extent it in any way

Comment

BTW, a tip for everyone using it, if you place geometry, and you have your material selected in the content browser, it will automatically apply it while placing your brushes. There is one problem (bug?) I encountered in unreal, that this feature does not work with instances from a material. So for working quickly I would recommend using the material directly.

Comment

Very nice, definitely using it. Now all my alphas can look like Green Hill Zone!

Comment

I've been having some issues trying to get it set up in the material editor, do have a tutorial by any chance?

Your Material Overview image is nice, but its not hi res enough to tell what all the different parts contain.
                    Joseph Frederick
                    FoeJred@Gmail.com
                    www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Will definitely be trying this out! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FoeJred View Post
                        I've been having some issues trying to get it set up in the material editor, do have a tutorial by any chance?

Your Material Overview image is nice, but its not hi res enough to tell what all the different parts contain.
                        What's the problem you have? It should work if you download the folder and paste it into your project folder. Then you can open the material if you want to make any changes.

Comment

Just not sure the exact method to set it up right in the material editor. Looks like its quite involved.
                          Joseph Frederick
                          FoeJred@Gmail.com
                          www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Thats pretty fantastic, the shader seems a bit complex for what its doing but I can't argue with the results. Good job man
                            Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                            Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Originally posted by FoeJred View Post
                              Just not sure the exact method to set it up right in the material editor. Looks like its quite involved.
                              Folders:

Git: UnrealTournament\Content
                              Rar: Content\DesignTools\Textures & Content\DesignTools\Materials

What the folder structure looks like when you put it in the editor to be used: UnrealTournament\Content\DesignTools\Textures & UnrealTournament\Content\DesignTools\Materials.

Then, when working with BSP, just select the worldgrid00 material before placing bsp brushes and leave it selected, it will automatically be applied to anything you drop.

Comment

Working...
                              X