Ramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ramps

I realize this is a noob question but I just started making a ctf map and need to put a few ramps in and can't find how to do it. I thought there would be an import option for ramps that were already made but can't find it. I searche'd the Web and especially the ue manual. Any help would be great.
    There are two keys to success in life, One: don't tell everyone everything you know and Two:

Originally posted by Mondogrunday View Post
    I realize this is a noob question but I just started making a ctf map and need to put a few ramps in and can't find how to do it. I thought there would be an import option for ramps that were already made but can't find it. I searche'd the Web and especially the ue manual. Any help would be great.
    Erm, A ramp?

You mean a slight incline of sorts; to enable a character to walk/run up and down a level vertically?

How are you building your map at the moment? BPS/Geometry tool? That should be fairly simple to achieve, with many ways to achieve it...unless I'm missing what you mean?

Any pictures or screenshots might help us advise you more.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

first off , thanks for reply. i'm using bps for the most part. i used a basic cube and in geometry editor tried to "cut" away a portion so it would be and inclined plane (ramp). when i use the geometry editor i was in side view and clicked on vertices with red points. got the red line where i wanted it and hit apply and nothing was happening. i searched many tutorials and they are all the same, which suggests that is the correct way to do it, but i have had no luck accomplishing this so far. and i thought the elevator was tricky lol, thought this would be much easier. any idea what i'm missing?
      There are two keys to success in life, One: don't tell everyone everything you know and Two:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BSP_Settings.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	385395

Check your "Update BSP Automatically" is checked

Name:	BSP_Settings1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	731.6 KB
ID:	385396

Drop a box onto the map.
        Select Geometry Mode.
        In one of the Orthographic windows, drag over one of the edges until they are highlighted as indicated above.

Name:	BSP_Settings2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	725.8 KB
ID:	385397

Move it into position, using the widget (I used the green one, as I was moving along the Y axis)

Name:	BSP_Settings3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	669.9 KB
ID:	385398

Add some more dimensions, Miller-time.
        Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Awesome! Cant wait to try this when I get home from work. Thanks!

Comment

thanks again! it worked awesome. now to get characters working. referring to your reply now

Comment

just fyi, this is the ctf map i'm working on. my first one in 17 years of playing ut lol. its scale is way off but i'm still learning as i go. appreciate your help it has been a huge asset.

Comment

just fyi, this is the ctf map i'm working on. my first one in 17 years of playing ut lol. its scale is way off but i'm still learning as i go. appreciate your help it has been a huge asset.
                Happy to be of assistance.

The BSP surface scaling seems off on those pictures. It's an "as-you-go" thing you have to do when building, but keeping the surface scale consistent will greatly help you judge at-a-glance whether the dimensions are good.

Here's the trick:

1: SHIFT-S (surface selection)
                2: Goto your details panel
                3: Find the "Surface Properties" sub panel
                4: Alter the "Scale" "U" & "V" to "1" and then "Apply"
                5: Find the "Geometry" sub panel
                6: Alter the "Alignment" pull-down to "Align Surface Planer"
                7: Repeat steps 1-6, until all surfaces are aligned.
                8: Save!
                9: Miller-time.

The additional step to take (when white-boxing) is to increase all surface resolution (same details panel) to 65535 under "Lighting" "Lightmap Resolution". By doing this, you will drop the build-time of your white box significantly. I really do mean significantly, but a word of warning, do not increase the LMR of your static meshes to the same factor, as it may break the space-time continuum.

All of these steps become second-nature after a while. Your hands just kinda do it automatically. You may (or may not) be interested in using better materials for your surfaces, purely for white boxing. Have a look at this:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...l-for-you-guys

Roel Put it together a few years back and it's very popular, allows for customising, but more importantly is good for judging distances; with color-changes on different surfaces like walls and floors, which is very important.

Enjoy!
                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

cool thanks! i just purchased the UE4 Fundamentals package to help me out too. The online tutorials have been good, but a lot of searching to get what I need. I figured the Fundamentals should be a "one stop shop" for my designing needs. The learning curve is pretty steep right now since i'm very new to all of this, but I actually enjoy building the map. There a sort of "success" moment each time something i'm trying to do works lol. I posted a couple more updated pics in the work in progress section. still not scaled right, which is today"s goal. Again, thanks for all your help.

Comment

cool thanks! i just purchased the UE4 Fundamentals package to help me out too. The online tutorials have been good, but a lot of searching to get what I need. I figured the Fundamentals should be a "one stop shop" for my designing needs. The learning curve is pretty steep right now since i'm very new to all of this, but I actually enjoy building the map. There a sort of "success" moment each time something i'm trying to do works lol. I posted a couple more updated pics in the work in progress section. still not scaled right, which is today"s goal. Again, thanks for all your help.
                    Yah.

Just to be clear, I'm talking 'bout the scaling of the surfaces, not the actual physical dimensions of the map.

soon (tm)
                    Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                    X