Geometry Editing Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Geometry Editing Not Working

Using the Pen tool, I made a wall with various turns. Now I'd like to grab some vertexes and move some things around to get better spacing here and there. Problem is, I can't move the vertexes at all. I can select them, but they just won't move. I can't move an edge either. I can Extrude a face no problem. Any ideas what I'm missing here?

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

One more clue to what's going on. I was just in Top view with a cube selected. I tried using the arrows to move it around, but it wouldn't move. I can drag it around with the mouse. When I did push the arrow keys, the appropriate axis pointer would light up, but no movement. This is very odd.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

Comment

Update: So I am able to move a vertex from other primitive from the geometry menu. The geometry I can NOT edit is the wall I drew with the Pen tool, but ONLY the simple shapes. Seems like a wall with a perpendicular element is locked up. Very odd.

Click image for larger version  Name:	VertexProblem.JPG Views:	1 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	395304
      Last edited by BigAl3D; 12-04-2017, 08:25 AM.

W.I.P.s
      DM-Containers

Comment

Update: So I am able to move a vertex from other primitive from the geometry menu. The geometry I can NOT edit is the wall I drew with the Pen tool, but ONLY the simple shapes. Seems like a wall with a perpendicular element is locked up. Very odd.
        It's meant to be used as a very fast grey/white box tool to work out the intricacies of level design, not final work - unless the GEO tool suits the visual style of the level AKA Low-Poly levels.
        Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mitch. I know the BSP tools are for prototyping, but I can't help myself when trying to make a map. I always get stuck with the whole UV thing from 3D, that I start building out the whole thing in BSP. I will make a later version with meshes, just gotta learn more about UV mapping. As for this issue goes, it seems to have to do with the shape I've drawn. If I keep something like this in a more simple shape, I can edit the points. When it gets wacky, it doesn't want to move the points. I ended up making a cube, sizing it for one section, then extruding one side for each corner of the wall. Much more friendly and I don't have to worry about any open ends to the BSP, which causes all sorts of weirdness.

W.I.P.s
          DM-Containers

Comment

Well, if you stick to a consistent grid size and the simplest geometry as possible for WBing, you shouldn't have any issues like that.

If you break your design into walls, floors & trim - the engine shouldn't give you issues, it's only when someone is trying something 'exotic' with the BSP/GEO that things get funky.

You shouldn't (in truth) be trying to build anything more complex than flat cuboids for WBing, and leave the bespoke geometry to a 3D modelling tool - as by doing this you can make thousands of iterations per day on a map, versus petite cosmetic stuffs in a modelling tool.

It's a loop:

(1) Build raw BSP
            (2) PIE
            (3) Adjust BSP
            (4) GOTO (1)

Adding 3d Models at the WBing stage stops the loop in its tracks, thereby; stopping development.

When it's tested to perfection, then you can mesh - anything before is a waste of time. Seriously.

ninja edit: Try subtractive - it's much faster.
            Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
            X