Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static Meshes Materials and Textures for your custom maps

Hi Mappers,
    A very newb question here, I've searched the whole learning level design section and am none he wiser. As far as BSP goes, I'm down with it, I have a level based on a jet engine test cell blocked out and ready to go. What I'm in the dark about is using assets that are in the restricted assets folder. If I navigate to a folder say Environments/Desert and try and place a rock into my level, it will go in but loose its texturing and turn the default texture. I gather that you have to set up a folder structure within your map folder to house assets you use in your map. Is it as simple as copying what you want to use from other folders be they static meshes, materials or textures into your own map folders and using them from there? or am I barking up the wrong tree. I've followed level creation tutorials with the UE4 editor, but not sure how to apply that knowledge to the file structure within UT4ed.

One day I would like to be good enough to build a map similar to Underworld, that map just blows me away (Just like the Americans I play against online with my lousy 250ms ping)

Thanks for any help provided.

Browndog

Some of the assets in that enviroment folder may be unfinnished by the devs like some of the desert rocks dont spawn in with the materials on so its probably best to duplicate incase they get altered by the devs in thier existing folder, you could always duplicate the mesh/save to you map folder and find a material that fits for it and apply that to the mesh(by draggin the mat onto it or in the detail panel). Usually for me the quickest way to mesh out is to put a mesh in the level then click on it hold alt and move to duplicate over and over.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Me and my brothers maps:
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ads-03-04-2017

Where are the ninja robots promised in UT3 trailer... plz lol.

Comment

I guess its just a case of trial and error then, so if I am using meshes straight out of the Liandri folder, there's no need to place them in folders within my own map folder? I would only need do this for my own custom created content?

Comment

Yea id say mostly stuff from the maps theyve already put together wouldnt need it, but i have noticed they slightly altered stuff like background mountain materials after a patch before and that change goes onto your maps mesh if you havent made your own material/duplicate of thiers.
        _____________________________________________________________________________________
        Me and my brothers maps:
        https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ads-03-04-2017

Where are the ninja robots promised in UT3 trailer... plz lol.

Comment

Working...
        X