Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial Map Brainstorming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tutorial Map Brainstorming

    Hi guys I'm not a designer but I'm most interested in The Beginner Experience, I think it's critical for UT4 success, that's why I'd like to start a brainstorming of how the tutorial map(s) should be designed to start off players with little fps experience.

    Some thoughts:

    - The map should teach basic and advanced movement, weapon use and range, item use, basic strategies (e.g. *always be running*);
    - The map should be an open-space bunnytrack, so Beginners could use it for their first "official" game against human players. They'll get to try tricks they just learnt in a live game, on a map they are comfortable in;
    - The map should be designed to maximize fun: team oriented gametype, redeemer, rockets, open center, some camp and dark spots, maybe set in space so they can push each others to their death;
    - Spawnkill protection, map large enough to see opponents coming;
    - It could be set in some kind of narrative, (e.g. tournament newbie training for his first battle, stadium setting)

    What do you think? More ideas?

    #2
    Originally posted by wsdrdsw View Post
    Hi guys I'm not a designer but I'm most interested in The Beginner Experience, I think it's critical for UT4 success, that's why I'd like to start a brainstorming of how the tutorial map(s) should be designed to start off players with little fps experience.

    Some thoughts:

    - The map should teach basic and advanced movement, weapon use and range, item use, basic strategies (e.g. *always be running*);
    - The map should be an open-space bunnytrack, so Beginners could use it for their first "official" game against human players. They'll get to try tricks they just learnt in a live game, on a map they are comfortable in;
    - The map should be designed to maximize fun: team oriented gametype, redeemer, rockets, open center, some camp and dark spots, maybe set in space so they can push each others to their death;
    - Spawnkill protection, map large enough to see opponents coming;
    - It could be set in some kind of narrative, (e.g. tournament newbie training for his first battle, stadium setting)

    What do you think? More ideas?
    As much as the idea is a good one, I'm wondering if at the moment this is possible. I mean the game is undergoing tons of changes since it's pre-alpha. Changes like the types of jumps, their importance and specs. Also the global direction of the game is still a bit blurry and again prone to change quite a good deal. Currently the default level and the lighting level are the tutorial maps.

    Another point with a tutorial map is that people will be overly influenced by it. The bad side is that it will limit creativity and end up in a multitude of maps that feature the same look and feel, which becomes boring. Now I don't like to criticize without proposing a solution: rather than a tutorial map, I'd like to see a set of guidelines (heights, sizes, specs of the jumps, maximum-minimum values for properties of the maps). With guidelines creativity is left intact, but focused on getting a good user experience. A simple set of rules that you can follow to create a nice map.

    But you know, even with all the rules followed, a map may not be "fun", suit the game type or feature that "UT feel". That's why it's an artistic process and to get that the only way I know is experience. I can only encourage you and everyone interested to pick up the editor and start blocking and idea, then append a new room to it and so on. Experiment, test, play it, create a thread here and get the community's feedback, improve again and again until you are happy.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

    Comment


      #3
      Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he is referring to making a map that teaches people how to play the game not how to make maps.
      Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
      Artist for Chaos: UT

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he is referring to making a map that teaches people how to play the game not how to make maps.
        My bad, didn't read carefully enough the OP. I saw tutorial map in the level design section and jumped to my conclusion. A part of it still hold: the game is changing fast and making such a tutorial map would have to be done later during the production phase (beta usually).
        RASTE IN PEACE !
        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
        Weapon: Redeemer

        Comment


          #5
          Look how Hearthstone tutorial are done.
          http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Tutorial
          Particularly those two opponents:
          King Mukla is the third boss you face. While he doesn't have any hero power, he has an extra unique minion. Like the rest, he has two unique minions, but has one huge powerful minion that basically stands to teach players about strategy. Attack the big guy with no taunt, or kill the enemy hero?
          and
          Lorewalker Cho is the fourth boss you face. Like Mukla, he has no hero power. However, he gains a powerful spell. He has two unique minions, and a powerful spell called Transcendence. It basically makes him immune to damage until you kill all the minions of the board, designed to teach you how to trade minions effectively.
          Imho good tutorial should not only teach mechnics but basic strategies like item control. How to get it, and how to play when you're not in control. How to use movement and particular weapons effectively. Such tutorial would be harder to craft than heartstone one though.
          Unofficial Enforcer Model
          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

          Comment


            #6
            I think this is a good video discussing how to make tutorial in any game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPcn-Q5nKE

            Comment


              #7
              I am currently planning a set of tutorials for the game that will be ongoing. Whether official or semi-official/endorsed I don't know, but there is communication between myself, Epic and some other parties you might know, in order to make these as good as they can be. I did the "A Guide to..." videos for UT3 and Mastering UT3 and want to take this to the next level to offer instruction right from the launch of the game.

              As it's been said, in game tuts might be too much at this time, when it comes to scripting it out and everything. But it'll be worked on for sure. If people wish to cooperate on something, let me know.

              UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

              Comment


                #8
                looking forward to it
                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

                Comment


                  #9
                  Tutorial should be split in at least 2 or 3 maps. They should teach movement and weapon use (with tricks)

                  First teaching basic movement most advanced feature here should be liftjump, some simple tele trick, firing multiple rockets etc. First should be preparing for first DM match and nothing more. Then there should be single tutorial map for each gametype.

                  Second teaching wall dodges, rocket jumps, static shock combo.

                  Third being something like bunny hopping challenge with mixed order of moves (ie. some hard some easy). Shock combo some moving targets, headshot with sniper etc all while running and doing tricks.

                  All three maps timed (or with scores) with result at end. Each special move/action in different room/area. And each room also timed to show players where they can improve.
                  Each room should have few optional routes (challenges), from least challenging to some extremely hard, so as you improve you can pick harder but faster route. Also no randomness here (for eg. no real AI bots), each run is exactly same so nobody can complain about bad luck with bot headshooting at start.

                  No scripted events in level that player needs to click off. Just pure map with maybe some billboards explaining challenge. For showing how to perform tricks in each room we can use youtube.

                  Or follow shadow mode if we can record and play different routes.
                  Last edited by Nawrot; 10-02-2014, 01:05 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I might make a test map for the trick moves using the material system from my level CTF-Cubed as the tiles allow you to see where a player has touched and where they should be touching...image below....only problem is im terrible at the trick moves
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	CTF-CubedReflect.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	330725
                    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by WarpSpasm View Post
                      I might make a test map for the trick moves using the material system from my level CTF-Cubed as the tiles allow you to see where a player has touched and where they should be touching...image below....only problem is im terrible at the trick moves
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]8370[/ATTACH]
                      Please do warp! That would be very helpful.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                        Please do warp! That would be very helpful.
                        Just Uploaded WIP Pak file for Challenge/Tutorial Trick Jumping...Please comment on how I should proceed with it link below

                        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ing-Test-level
                        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X