Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Started with UT4 Mapping -- How Hard Is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started with UT4 Mapping -- How Hard Is It?

How difficult is it to get started with UT4 mapping? I've released a couple UT99 maps and left a UT3 map on the cutting room floor (once I concluded that UT3 was stillborn), so I'm not a complete novice. In previous iterations, it wasn't too difficult; you simply opened up the Unreal Editor. How much more difficult is it with a non-specific Unreal Engine 4?

At this point, would it be practical to subscribe for one month, obtain the Unreal Engine 4.5, and then be able to release a finished product when the final version of the game comes out? Is there a danger of building a map and then being unable to play test it or finish it for the current version of UT4, say, three or four months down the road?

Are there any publicly available texture/"materials" packs? If I subscribed for my 1 month, would I be ineligible to receive future texture/materials packs that end up being part of the Engine (I would assume, yes)?
    Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 10-04-2014, 11:51 AM.
    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

I've recently started mapping in UE4 and have been loving every moment of it. There is a fair jump between UE4 and previous editors but I got used to it fairly quickly. I too was contemplating the price point before I subscribed, but I can say that it is 100% worth it (in my opinion) and I am considering remaining subscribed permanently, just for access to latest ut builds etc.

As of yet, there are no (or very few at least) preset textures or materials, which isn't a problem and as far as I can see as they are not required for basic mapping at all. You can also very easily make your own simple textures which are perfect for blocking out maps.

I'm sorry but I can't really give advice on possible problems in the future as I've only had the editor for a few weeks :/

I hope these first impressions are of use to you
    :|

Comment

Is it in a state where custom texture/materials packs can be added for use in a map? Can they be imported from older texture packs from prior iterations of the game? Are there any custom textures/materials in the marketplace yet? (The authors would probably want money for them, though.)
      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

It has never been easier to start as in UE4.

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
          It has never been easier to start as in UE4.
          Indeed.

There are no cheap/free and good textures out there. Hopefully somebody will make free packs/themes for UT4.

I personally use: http://gametextures.com/ and substance designer.
          That with custom meshes and somehow i can manage to get decent textures (i am total photoshop noob).

Don't worry now about textures, Just start mapping, I am almost sure we will get free textures and static meshes to use in UT4.
          I am not sure if old "you can use any art asset from unreal game in UT3" rule applies to UT4. But if so it is a matter of importing from UT3.

Comment

I like this thread. I was going to post the same questions. I want to remake my own ut2k4 map CTF-MoB-Protresse. But I find the monthly cost to high for making free maps for the community. Will there be a free map editor in the future? Me personally has no problem to spend like one time 100 dollar for the map editor. But that is because I love UT, so I believe others 'll not. BTW I'm convinced UT4 will be great.

Comment

How different is mapmaking from UT99? I used to make a lot of maps 8-10 years ago, two of them got quite a good public recognition and server traffic (probably due to my own video material promoting them). If it's something that I can get back into, I'd be willing to try and do some maps, now with more skills and knowledge. My ideology was to make a map fun and possible to play in a competitive setting, rather than set emphasis on visuals... and whilst I can't say that p4ce and sph3res made particularly good competitive maps, they weren't the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by subz` View Post
                How different is mapmaking from UT99? I used to make a lot of maps 8-10 years ago, two of them got quite a good public recognition and server traffic (probably due to my own video material promoting them). If it's something that I can get back into, I'd be willing to try and do some maps, now with more skills and knowledge. My ideology was to make a map fun and possible to play in a competitive setting, rather than set emphasis on visuals... and whilst I can't say that p4ce and sph3res made particularly good competitive maps, they weren't the worst.
                It's very different, but hundreds of times easier, the basics that you learned with UE1 will carry over to UE4 as far as BSP goes. The major difference is the iteration speed, you can place a bsp brush and hit play instantly, there is no rebuilding/saving/launching game at all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/zZCastleZz/videos

Take a look at his Unreal Tournament videos, he does a lot of work with the bsp brush (at least, very early on). pretty good videos

another is http://www.hitbox.tv/CaptainMigraine - he makes his own meshes, textures, pretty much everything, and streams himself while he learns & does it

Comment

I am in the same boat as WHIPperSNAPper

Created lots of maps for 2k4 and never finished any for UT3 for the same reason. Have subscribed to the engine in order to start mapping again for UT4.

I am just getting started on my first map but am still trying to decide if it's best/faster to go additive or subtractive lol. Oooooh so very rusty
                  My UT2004 Maps

Comment

Just FYI, although I expect most people here would have found this playlist themselves - there's a huge UE4 tutorial playlist consisting of 176 videos available over at Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

Comment

How applicable are the tutorials that were made for UT3 to the Unreal Engine 4, such as the ones that came on the bonus DVD in the Collector's Edition?

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                        How applicable are the tutorials that were made for UT3 to the Unreal Engine 4, such as the ones that came on the bonus DVD in the Collector's Edition?
                        Even the UT2k4 tutorials made by Zak Parrish when he was with 3DBuzz are still reasonably applicable. You will need to adjust to some layout changes in the editor but the basics for actually using BSP to lay out a map are still there.
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                          Applicable but UE4 is MUCH easier to work with than UDK/UE3 was, IMO.
                          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

So, what is botpathing like in the UE4 engine? Is it even necessary for a mapper to do anything? Doing the mysterious bot pathing was probably my least favorite thing about UT99 mapping.

Comment

in the ued there is a navmesh=bot pathing ut3 it's a builder brush like a blocking volume. just place it around the room or your hole map and the game will do the rest. so that's what I was told
                              AKA TwocensT

Comment

Working...
                              X