Configurable Pickup Bases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configurable Pickup Bases

I have no idea where to post this but I suppose I'll post it up here.

Specific goals I wanted to accomplish:

-Hiding of pickup base : Already relatively easy via BluePrint. (Not shown in video)
    -Per-instance adjustment of pickup floating height: Complete (Not shown in video)
    -Per-instance rotation of pickup: Complete
    -Per-instance rotation rate of pickup: Complete
    -Per-instance customization of pickup respawn time: Complete

Use Cases:

- Assault level where players are loading up in an armory before beginning their assault. Having a row of spinning pickups looks silly, but having weapons that are on shelves and propped up against walls, crates, etc. looks great.
    - DM/CTF level with nontraditional powerup placement, e.g. shield belt that is dangling from a tree branch should not be oriented horizontally or be spinning
    - Singleplayer-like levels where respawning weapons don't make sense. e.g. You are on Na Pali and you pick up a Shock Rifle from a dead soldier. Having that weapon respawn after 30 seconds breaks immersion.
    - Crazy unbalanced levels where people just want to have all kinds of powerups and whatever going constantly
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Would be cool to have a pickup base without the mesh of the base. Not always easy to put them on non-flat grounds. An option for it would be nice.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

This is fantastic! Dang I sure wish I would have had this making SpaceNoxx in UT3. What a pain it was to make a floating amp! This will really give a lot flexibility to mappers.
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
        Would be cool to have a pickup base without the mesh of the base. Not always easy to put them on non-flat grounds. An option for it would be nice.
        You can remove it. Copy the powerupbase blueprint, so you don't change the original. Remove the static mesh shown below:

Comment

Yeah, removing the base is quite simple. I plan on providing two blueprints here: One with, and one without the base, so hopefully by doing this once I can avoid people having to recreate this functionality a hundred times in their own blueprints. I'm actually not sure about distribution though, still need to figure that out.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Hmm. Giving the LD the ability to change respawn time does break a lot. There is no more consistency on all maps. You never know if a pickup is somehow modified. Let's say a mapper paks his stuff into a cooked map (*.pak or what's the extension?) and he gave only the player with a special name such inventory, or doubles up the time (or the damage). Don't like the ability of Blueprints in levels allowing modifying the game code that much.

Other than that, good work on that stuff.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Why not just email Joe or Stacey and ask about having it included in all future versions? That way they handle distribution and its cooked into the engine/game rather then all the LD's having to search for a map base to work from.

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                Hmm. Giving the LD the ability to change respawn time does break a lot. There is no more consistency on all maps. You never know if a pickup is somehow modified. Let's say a mapper paks his stuff into a cooked map (*.pak or what's the extension?) and he gave only the player with a special name such inventory, or doubles up the time (or the damage). Don't like the ability of Blueprints in levels allowing modifying the game code that much.

Other than that, good work on that stuff.
                I'm not saying LDs should do that, and in fact it's a bad idea for any map that wants to ever be considered official or competitive. But there are scenarios where LDs might want it and I just want that tool easily accessible (it's actually already possible in many ways, this is just another way that avoids the marginally more effort required).

Originally posted by Sigmafie View Post
                Why not just email Joe or Stacey and ask about having it included in all future versions? That way they handle distribution and its cooked into the engine/game rather then all the LD's having to search for a map base to work from.
                Will do so, I think they will want to discuss anything like this internally. Not sure how to approach stuff like this myself, when looking at it from a competitive e-sports angle vs. a fun and exploratory viewpoint.
                Last edited by Wail; 11-10-2014, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                  But there are scenarios where LDs might want it and I just want that tool easily accessible (it's actually already possible in many ways, this is just another way that avoids the marginally effort required).
                  I know. It's good to have such ability for LDs. I did the same custom pickup bases for my water pickups (for a Water Framework in UT3) which allowed LDs to modify the Pickup time etc. on their own. But as UnrealScript wasn't possible without a external script file, you would always knew if a map had code in it which modifes the game code. But I always prevented that with my pickupbases as I only chose editiable fields which aren't exploitable.

I was more generally speaking about modability with level Blueprint in maps.
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Working...
                  X