Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the Colors Right - Looks Dark on Your Monitor but Too Bright on Someone Elses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the Colors Right - Looks Dark on Your Monitor but Too Bright on Someone Elses

Years ago I made a map that I thought looked great on my end. Then later I started getting feedback about how it was too bright for people. How do you get around the problem of a map looking great on your computer's and your monitor's settings but then being way too bright on other people's? Do you assume that everyone has the Gamma maxed out when you select your textures and do the lighting?

http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...o=file&id=2459

Yeah, I thought it looked great, but apparently those saturated colors were far too bright for people. I thought they would look the way they looked to me when I made the map.
    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
    Years ago I made a map that I thought looked great on my end. Then later I started getting feedback about how it was too bright for people. How do you get around the problem of a map looking great on your computer's and your monitor's settings but then being way too bright on other people's? Do you assume that everyone has the Gamma maxed out when you select your textures and do the lighting?

http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...o=file&id=2459

Yeah, I thought it looked great, but apparently those saturated colors were far too bright for people. I thought they would look the way they looked to me when I made the map.
    I think they should look clear and visible with default settings. Getting feedback will generally help you determine if your map falls in line with the brightness and clarity of other maps. Basically, each player will customize their game to their own liking, but you should try to make your map have similar brightness settings to most other maps.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
      I think they should look clear and visible with default settings. Getting feedback will generally help you determine if your map falls in line with the brightness and clarity of other maps. Basically, each player will customize their game to their own liking, but you should try to make your map have similar brightness settings to most other maps.
      Agreed here. Usually you never get the light right straight away. It takes iterations and feedback until you get that proper lighting. That's why it's so important to have players give feedback on the current shells, both official and community made.
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Unless you are using the same monitor you were using 10 years ago when you made the map, the problem is most likely not the monitor settings. You should be able to easily test this with a couple of spare monitors.

The real problem is more likely in your subjective experience of color versus other people's subjective experience of color, and that isn't something that can be easily remedied unfortunately.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

In UT3 times I had 2 PCs one with ATI and one NVIDIA. Those cards had different brightness of my map on same monitor. Also lighting of your room makes huge difference, try same map on bright day and at night with only dim lamp. It is kind of dangerous to make dark or bright maps, better stay in middle.

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
            UT4 (or whatever this is called) is very bright on my system. Both the maps and weapons. Haven't found any gamma settings in the options yet. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Warsow.

Comment

Originally posted by Petezzzz View Post
              UT4 (or whatever this is called) is very bright on my system. Both the maps and weapons. Haven't found any gamma settings in the options yet. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Warsow.
              The maps are designed with placeholder lights. It's not representative of the final product. It's more to be able to see correctly and test the shell maps before they undergo art passes
              RASTE IN PEACE !
              Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
              Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
                It's not representative of the final product.
                Thanks Raste.

We all know it's pre-alpha, just saying what I am experiencing, that's all.
                No need to reminded us of this every time we give a bit of feedback .

Maybe a primitive Gamma/Brightness slider can be added for a better testing experience.

E8400
                4Gb
                GTX650Ti
                W7-64
                Playing Unreal since Unreal

Thank you all for the opportunity to take part in this development, BTW!
                Last edited by Petezzzz; 12-25-2014, 06:56 AM.

Comment

have you taken a look at the lightning-example.umap? Some good base values there.. for everyones taste.
                  BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                  DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord
                  ‚Äč
                  Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Originally posted by Petezzzz View Post
                    Maybe a primitive Gamma/Brightness slider can be added for a better testing experience.
                    r.exposureoffset X

X = a number, including 0.5, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                      X
                      X = a number, including 0.5, etc.
                      Sweet dude, Thanks.

r.exposureoffset -1 is perfect now!

Is there maybe a list of these commands, and their usage, that we can experiment with?
                      Last edited by Petezzzz; 12-28-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

more brightness commands please! r.exposureoffset doesn't seem to exist now?

Comment

Something important that many folks do not account for is properly calibrating your monitor. It's something that has immensely helped with my graphic design work. Windows has a basic tool built in to help, but it might be worth finding a more professional tool as well.

Comment

Just go with defaults and stop messing with settings and you will have no problems!
                            ... you know, "The Way It's Meant To Be Played!"

Especially for all you who have to play every tom, d!ck & harry game out there you never going to be happy with your settings from 1 game to the next!

Default FTW!
                            Attached Files

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Working...
                            X