I am looking for an example level to show me how to properly setup CTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking for an example level to show me how to properly setup CTF

I have not been able to find anything like this while searching around. What do I need to do exactly?

I have working team spawns and flags but I dont know about anything else that may or may not be needed.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-18-2015, 04:55 AM.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Think of it like a football/ soccer match... A place for defenders, midfield and attack.

There should me 2 entry/escape routs ideally in and out with a small midfield with cover to hide dodge etc.
    Join the community Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
      Think of it like a football/ soccer match... A place for defenders, midfield and attack.

There should me 2 entry/escape routs ideally in and out with a small midfield with cover to hide dodge etc.
      This I understand, I am more wondering about technical stuff such as making sure props appear as the correct color, spectator camera spawn points. Flags that need to be set. Volumes that may or may not be important. Entities that are required to have in the map in addition to team spawns and flags.

that kind of stuff.

Comment

oh ok sorry i misunderstood my bad.
        Join the community Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

There is nothing especially needed to do as far as setup goes that is too complicated.
          Basically you place CTF flags (goes without saying) and you have to use UTTeam Player Starts (which you've already done). I generally also make sure to set the game type in World Settings to CTF.
          That's really all that is required!
          However, it may be necessary, depending on how complex your map layout is to also place the TeamDeco_Chevrons to direct players to the bases/flags; you may also place the TeamDeco banners or logos if you wish (though these are not super necessary).
          If you are making an asymmetrical CTF map, then the last important thing you need is to make sure Allow Side Switching is set to true in the world properties.

That's pretty much it.
          cheers and GL.
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

Comment

I'll make a public CTF actor collection in the content browser when I get back to work. In the mean-time - here are the steps:

- Search the content browser for red flagbase/blue flagbase blueprints and place those
            - Search the class viewer for UTTeamPlayerStart and place those (in the details leave team 0 for red and change to 1 for blue)
            - Search the content browser for TeamDeco and place those blueprints as desired (there's a dropdown in the details to pick the team)
            - If you are using JumpPads they also have a color option in the details to support teams
            - If you are making an asymmetrical map and want to support side switching check bAlllowSideSwitching in the world details (IIRC that's what it's called but should be straight forward to find regardless). Everything is setup so that decos/playerstarts/flags will take care of switching to the correct color without any manual work. You simply start out setting everything up assuming one side is red and the other is blue.
            - Save the map with the "CTF-" prefix

That should be it!

Edit: Heh
            Last edited by Clawfist; 01-18-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

A lot of this is general level design stuff. Now I'm definitely no authority on this, but with so little documentation available (read: none at all?) on how to actually work with UT, I feel my experience here may be helpful to you.

I've been working on CTF-Elemental for the better part of a month now, and have figured out quite a number of things you may find useful.

- CTF Maps are required to be set with the proper GameInfo class. If you want to build a CTF map, you must first set the appropriate "UTCTFGameMode" into the persistent level's World Settings.

- At a minimum, CTF maps require a red flag base, a blue flag base, and a single player start.

- You can add as many player starts as you like. Each player start must be of class "UTTeamPlayerStart" and should be tagged with a 0 or 1 to indicate which team can use it. 0 for Red, 1 for Blue. The CTF Game Mode will automatically choose a random player start for each player on their respective teams.

- Every UT map requires a NavMesh for bots. The NavMesh should be as smooth as possible, covering all routes you wish a bot to take. You can use a single NavMeshBounds object to cover your whole level, or use multiple bounding objects to create a composite volume for your use.

- You can use the UTNav Blocking Volume to create an artificial navigation area.

- Any Jump Pads or Lifts that you add to the level must be inside the Nav Mesh if you wish bots to use them. This includes both the Base and the Target of each pad.

- Other volumes may be of use to you, depending on your map's design. U****er, UTPain, UTCustom Physics, and the standard Blocking Volume are probably going to be your most commonly used volumes. Additionally, the KillZ volume could prove helpful. Also, all UT maps should take advantage of the Lightmass Importance volume.

Hope some of that info is helpful!

EDIT: HAHA I love how UT Water gets asterisked out... t w a t
              Last edited by Soverance; 01-18-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Cool I have everything setup now aside from the nav meshing. I'll get that in place next.

Comment

I'm also trying to make a level...

I downloaded the UT-master folder from Github, Visual Basic etc...

In the UT-Editor I opened "new level" and started building (I'm a newbie so I haven't accomplished much yet)
                  but my question is:

If I want to ".pak" my level to play it in the UT-pre-alpha (starting it with the UT-Launcher), how do I do that?

because everytime I'm packaging the game, regardless if "for shipping" or "debugging"
                  the UnrealEngine RECREATES the whole UT-master folder like the original from GIThub.

there were some maps out there like Hydraulics (in the meantime it's implemented in the new version), where we just had to place the .pak-file in the right Tournament folder and you could play it.

how do I ".pak" my level?
                  I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL FOR ANY HELP !

ps.: sorry for my bad english...
                  Last edited by barsam2; 01-18-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

You just need to cook it. raxxy has a Cooker you can use to simplify it, but you do not need to package the whole game (what the package button does).
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

ok, I see...
                      how do I get this cooker from raxxy? (you mean the User who made Hydraulics, right?)
                      can you give me a link? with some info how to USE/ADD this cooker?
                      sorry, I'm really new to all this...
                      and I haven't seen a tutorial video (not at the official EPIC-yt page nor elsewhere) on this specific topic...

Comment

It's a sticky in this very forum.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds
                        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

To use the Cooker/Paker

****Your map needs to be in a folder with your map name along with the assets to cook and pak with it. (\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Coret )
                          ****Any assets that Epic is not using in their maps needs to be copied, named differently, replaced in your map, and paked with your map.

- Unpack the Cooker to a place of your liking.
                          - Leave the cooker, DLL, and readme in the folder and launch from there.
                          - At first launch it will ask you the paths for your editor and uproject. (Editor - \UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64) (uproject - \UnrealTournament\UnrealTournament)
                          - Select your map from the dropdown and hit Cook!
                          -
                          After the cook window closes...hit the Add button. It should lead you right to the Content folder in the Cooked directory. If not....you may have to hit Add Directory. (UnrealTournament\UnrealTournament\Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Content)
                          - Go into Maps. Your Map folder should be in there if you did it correctly. Select the map and all of the assets and hit Open.
                          - Now the assets and map are ready to pak. Select everything and hit Pak!

****I'm told that the pak needs to be named exactly the same as the map.
                          Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help guys, trying to get it work.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post

Have you tried Head soccer?
                              Head Soccer, toda la informaciĆ³n sobre como desbloquear personajes, trucos y consejos para jugar gratis online. Dinero infinito, Personajes y TruCos.

Comment

Working...
                              X