Nav Mesh Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nav Mesh Woes

Whats the secret to getting a navmesh to work?

I'm looking at Face and Deck, as well as others, and bots are running around doing their thing.

I don't think that Coret would have any areas that are too narrow, or unreachable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and Thanks!

~Rich
    Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM.
    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

What exactly is the issue you're having?
    When you place a NavMeshBounds volume you just have to make sure it covers the playable space of the map (you may even place more than one, I believe)
    Then when you build the map, you have to build paths as well (I usually do that last).
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
      What exactly is the issue you're having?
      When you place a NavMeshBounds volume you just have to make sure it covers the playable space of the map (you may even place more than one, I believe)
      Then when you build the map, you have to build paths as well (I usually do that last).

The bots aren't exploring the map, and they're strafing around their spawn areas.

My NavMesh is green everywhere and paths are built constantly.

~Rich

Comment

When you hit P, do you see path lines/nodes drawn everywhere?
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
          When you hit P, do you see path lines/nodes drawn everywhere?

That's one thing that's been inconsistant. To answer your question......No.
          At one point the map had no "nodes" or lines, and other times it did.

I decided to look at other maps. (I can get screen shots if you want)

DeckTest had no nodes or lines at all, (but green on every surface) and the bots were navigating like champs!
          Is there a difference between the weekly game release, and what's in the editor files?

~R

(DECK)

Attached Files
          Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Hmm, well, bots aren't that smart either way. Have you tried increasing the bot skill and seeing how they play?
            I think as long as you don't see the message that the NavMesh should be built, then it should just work.
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

Comment

If you have "AutoUpdateNavigation" disabled in the editor preferences (which btw is highly recommended to not slow down the editor too much once you have navmesh in your map while still moving geometry around) you'll have to manually click Build Paths again for Matt's nodes to function properly. If you are seeing a bunch of nodes with lines drawn between them you'll know it succeeded.

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                If you have "AutoUpdateNavigation" disabled in the editor preferences (which btw is highly recommended to not slow down the editor too much once you have navmesh in your map while still moving geometry around) you'll have to manually click Build Paths again for Matt's nodes to function properly. If you are seeing a bunch of nodes with lines drawn between them you'll know it succeeded.
                I keep both auto update navigation and BSP off. because I build often.

I've always assumed that the Bots were broken, (I don't play much) because they don't go anywhere.

I usually build all, save, cook, pak, and then put it into the latest build.

Thanks for the immediate help, BTW!

~Rich

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
                  I keep both auto update navigation and BSP off. because I build often.

I've always assumed that the Bots were broken, (I don't play much) because they don't go anywhere.

I usually build all, save, cook, pak, and then put it into the latest build.

Thanks for the immediate help, BTW!

~Rich

My pleasure! Just to make sure we are on the same page - "Build All" won't trigger Matt's pathnode generation with AutoUpdateNavigation disabled, so I'm curious if you've tried simply doing "Build>Build Paths" specifically again after doing a full rebuild and if that solves your issue

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                    My pleasure! Just to make sure we are on the same page - "Build All" won't trigger Matt's pathnode generation with AutoUpdateNavigation disabled, so I'm curious if you've tried simply doing "Build>Build Paths" specifically again after doing a full rebuild and if that solves your issue

I think I've built paths separately. But I will take your advice and try with the auto enabled, tomorrow.

Have a good night!

And thanks again to both you and Jayoplus.

~Rich

Comment

Pretty sure that it was my doors that was stopping everything.

I didn't think that they were a problem, because the bots opened them and went through them when they were near.

But once I deleted the doors they were cappin' flags like mad. (even though some places didn't have nodes in them)

Now I need to figure out how to get the "path" to connect through the doors. Is it a quick fix?

Thanks!

~Rich

Comment

So that's one of the issues with doors ATM (It was an issue with lifts as well until a C++ base UTLift was generated)
                        Basically, I think there has to be a base class UTDoors in code that the blueprints can use in order for Bot navigation to work.

Edit: I did try to hack in a way to make it work where I build the paths with the doors open just so the lines build properly... Then just have an event onbeginplay that closes the door when the map starts.
                        MyArtstation
                        @jayoplus

Comment

I' ve had the OnBeginPlay locations in place already.
                          I'll try the "build with the door open trick" after work.

Thanks!

Comment

Building with the doors open didn't get the bots to move, but deleting the doors did.

I'll just leave them out for now, I don't have the left brain to figure it out right now.

~Rich
                            Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 02-11-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Not sure what changed, but i'm having the same problem again.

The bots just run back and forth near their spawn areas. No flag caps or translocating.

- I only have static meshes for the doors that are open all the time.
                              - There are no blueprints or trigger volumes.
                              - The paths are solid green everywhere with nodes and connecting lines.
                              - When I build...I make sure that the auto build paths feature is on, and then I manually build paths at the end of the process before I pak it for the build.

What am I missing?!

~Rich

EDIT: I grabbed a version of the map from 3 weeks ago. Deleted the doors and volumes and it works again.
                              I think the only thing that I had done to change anything since then, was that I removed the blueprints for the doors.
                              I'm going to remove those next, to see if that breaks the pathing.
                              Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 02-28-2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X