Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about getting started with map development

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Questions about getting started with map development

    Hi all,
    Short introduction - my name is Mike and I've been working on computer graphics since my Atari 800 many decades ago. Worked with Alias, wrote a map editor for Marathon (Mac) and created 30+ maps for it, and created the Lucius port for UT2K3 and UT2K4. So, I'm not a stranger to this at all.

    However, I'm a little lost in how to get started with creating maps with the current tools because I've been away from this for a while. Before I drop my $20/mo. I have a few questions:

    1) I'm sure I can build a map with the new UE4 editor, but how do I run it? How can I simulate running through the map? Someone in the "Work in progress" forum posted a video of a walkthrough and I don't know how it was done.

    2) Do we have specs for player height yet?

    3) Do we have specs for texture sizes yet? I'd like to know if there's a min/max.

    4) When I get the UE4 app, will it have assets the game can use, like trees, terrain, etc., or do I have to make them all myself?

    5) Can you import old UT files?

    In writing this, I suppose what I'm asking is: how much of an "Unreal Editor" is the UE4 engine app? I realize that UT4 itself has to be written (and I may contribute to that as well), but I don't know what the UE4 engine app does on its own.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    #2
    Hi,

    Originally posted by starman View Post
    1) I'm sure I can build a map with the new UE4 editor, but how do I run it? How can I simulate running through the map? Someone in the "Work in progress" forum posted a video of a walkthrough and I don't know how it was done.
    See below.

    Originally posted by starman View Post
    2) Do we have specs for player height yet?
    No

    Originally posted by starman View Post
    3) Do we have specs for texture sizes yet? I'd like to know if there's a min/max.
    No. But what UE4 supports is 1x1 to 8192x8192. Recommended sizes would be 2048x2048 and maybe 4096x4096

    Originally posted by starman View Post
    4) When I get the UE4 app, will it have assets the game can use, like trees, terrain, etc., or do I have to make them all myself?
    There are a number of examples you can download from the Marketplace that contains assets you could use for testing.

    Originally posted by starman View Post
    5) Can you import old UT files?
    No. Unless you have the source assets, ie FBX for 3d models, TGA/PNG/BMP/etc. for images. WAV for sounds.

    Originally posted by starman View Post
    In writing this, I suppose what I'm asking is: how much of an "Unreal Editor" is the UE4 engine app? I realize that UT4 itself has to be written (and I may contribute to that as well), but I don't know what the UE4 engine app does on its own.
    The UE4 is a complete Unreal Editor. When you execute it you will be taken into the Editor, where you can start placing meshes, brushes, lights, etc. If you also download and compile the current UT codebase, and load that in the UE4 Editor, you will be able to run around your level in a basic 1st person setup. If you dont want to download the current UT codebase, UE4 comes with a number of starter kits, namely the 1st person starter kit could be used to allow you to run around in 1st person mode.
    FluidSurface Plugin: https://github.com/Ehamloptiran/UnrealEngine/releases
    TextureMovie Plugin: https://github.com/Ehamloptiran/TextureMoviePlugin

    Comment


      #3
      E,
      Thanks a lot for those answers. It helps a lot. I'm just a bit leery about starting anything until we have player height set up. I don't want to make a map in the wrong scale. Do you know if this has been discussed anywhere?

      Comment


        #4
        Scale in Unreal Engine is that one unit == one cm.

        A lot of real life physics is used in UE4. By using the scale of 1 unit == 1 cm, then the lighting calculations work. You can set the lumens generated by the light and it will approximate real life.

        What you will find is that most of creating a map is done outside of the Unreal Editor (UE4), most is done in Maya/Max/Bender and these static meshes are imported.

        It is all explained here:
        https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ign/index.html

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Dingo_aus View Post
          What you will find is that most of creating a map is done outside of the Unreal Editor (UE4), most is done in Maya/Max/Bender and these static meshes are imported.
          as a dinosaur that stuck with brushwork and stock assets in ut99 and then tf2 i am somewhat saddened by this guess ive gotta learn me some modelling

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by cloolvl View Post
            as a dinosaur that stuck with brushwork and stock assets in ut99 and then tf2 i am somewhat saddened by this guess ive gotta learn me some modelling
            this was the main reason I quit level editing after UT99, not having a 3D program with no intentiuons of learning one, I relyed 100% on UnrealEd. With UE4 however I was hoping this could revert back to the old way more, could this be the case with using Marketplace Content of which more will become available perhaps. Or could I even still make a level "the old fashioned way" regardless?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MarcG View Post
              this was the main reason I quit level editing after UT99, not having a 3D program with no intentiuons of learning one, I relyed 100% on UnrealEd. With UE4 however I was hoping this could revert back to the old way more, could this be the case with using Marketplace Content of which more will become available perhaps. Or could I even still make a level "the old fashioned way" regardless?
              There was never anything stopping you from creating BSP levels in other unreals.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                There was never anything stopping you from creating BSP levels in other unreals.
                yes there was...I moved on other than that it became the trend to use 3D meshes from 3D programs and I never liked the idea of using someones elses work, at the same time BSP levels became flat and lifeless. That may have changed after I left the scene but I'm never to know that, what I'm getting at now is...can you make a 100% UE4 level without the need of other peoples work?

                Whilst I'm prepared to re-learn editing to some degree by using Marketplace objects I'd much much rather not have too further down the line, but if this is simply not the way to go then so be it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MarcG View Post
                  yes there was...I moved on other than that it became the trend to use 3D meshes from 3D programs and I never liked the idea of using someones elses work, at the same time BSP levels became flat and lifeless. That may have changed after I left the scene but I'm never to know that, what I'm getting at now is...can you make a 100% UE4 level without the need of other peoples work?

                  Whilst I'm prepared to re-learn editing to some degree by using Marketplace objects I'd much much rather not have too further down the line, but if this is simply not the way to go then so be it.
                  I am with you on this one. I love level designing and building, but I cant make models/mesh. Im just not artistic in the sense that I can create a picture with my hand, but what I am really good at is organization and planning. I can take a pile of parts and turn it into a statue.
                  PayBack

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                    I am with you on this one. I love level designing and building, but I cant make models/mesh. Im just not artistic in the sense that I can create a picture with my hand, but what I am really good at is organization and planning. I can take a pile of parts and turn it into a statue.
                    Pretty much exactly this.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      hook up with an artist. Make maps with BSP, block 'em out. test them. let the artist make it pretty.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        i estimate that some of the best maps that will come out will be mainly bsp brushwork...although i can make nice meshes i only use sparingly...once UT is available map makers will be able to use epics core UT assets and as a map maker i would concentrate more on using the materials at hand in new ways...i think we will see the best designed fps levels ever from this community
                        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I've seen some superb low poly maps in UT3 and I'm sure we'll see more in the new UT!
                          Unreal Old Friends
                          My previous Unreal work

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Lord_Porksword View Post
                            I've seen some superb low poly maps in UT3 and I'm sure we'll see more in the new UT!
                            Yeah I think these guys missed out on the UT3 low poly revolution. On that note, Stevelois is finishing up DM-Valon as we speak .
                            Last edited by MΛuL; 06-04-2014, 12:36 AM.
                            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                              Yeah I think these guys missed out on the UT3 low poly revolution. On that note, Stevelois is finishing up DM-Valon as we speak .
                              Woah I like that map!
                              I want to know more about this low poly revolution in UT3.
                              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                              YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                              Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                              Twitter: @zZCastleZz

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X