Question about cylinders - Geometry editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about cylinders - Geometry editing

ok, I want to drop in a cylinder. Hollow.... but I want one end smaller than the other, like a cone cut off. Is there an easy way to grab all the nodes and "shrink" one end? cant seem to figure it out - Id rather not have to move each one...

like this....

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Basically it would be possible with the Scaler (as it worked in UE3), but in UE4 it is somehow locked, at least it doesn't work with the same workflow of creating a cylinder brush, switch to geometry editing mode and select the top vertices. Select the specific viewport and choose to scale XY (XZ or YZ; depending on your rotation).

Edit:
    Instead of selecting vertices, select the face on top and scale it.
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 03-04-2015, 12:24 AM.
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

might just be easier to create a cone and then use brush clipping to cut it in half. play around with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
        Basically it would be possible with the Scaler (as it worked in UE3), but in UE4 it is somehow locked, at least it doesn't work with the same workflow of creating a cylinder brush, switch to geometry editing mode and select the top vertices. Select the specific viewport and choose to scale XY (XZ or YZ; depending on your rotation).

Edit:
        Instead of selecting vertices, select the face on top and scale it.
        I tired this.. the scaling seems locked, doesnt move...

Originally posted by lawlorz View Post
        might just be easier to create a cone and then use brush clipping to cut it in half. play around with it.
        well.. not a bad idea lol got to remember how to clip it now

Comment

Originally posted by StaticFX View Post
          well.. not a bad idea lol got to remember how to clip it now
          pretty easy. enter geometry edit mode, select "brush clip" from the menu and then either hold CTRL and right click at the first point and then CTRL right click at the last point.... or simply put the mouse in the correct position in the 2D viewport and press space for each clipping point. then go back to the toolbar and apply or flip the normal then apply. Hope this helps.

Comment

it does! I remember that now from... 10 years ago? lol thanks!

Comment

Or just use scaling faces as said before. You don't end up having a modified geometry like it does with brush clipping.
              ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
              ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

The problem I'm having with cylinder brushes is they don't align properly with the grid. I took a look at DM-SidCastle and noticed the "cylinders" in there (which do line up perfectly) aren't actually cylinder brushes, they're box brushes. My question is how do you get a "box" brush with 8 sides (or 7 or 6 or w/e as I noticed on some other brushes).

In UEd 3 I would have just used the 3D shape editor and extruded it but I can't (or not so far at least) find a similar tool in this editor.

How is this done in this version of the editor?

Comment

It's called the pen tool now and it's under the geometry editing toolbox.
                  MyArtstation
                  @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                    It's called the pen tool now and it's under the geometry editing toolbox.
                    Thank you!

What I'm finding really incredibly frustrating is most of what I already "knew" about Unreal Editor is worse than useless now. They changed everything and moved it all around so I can't find what I need anymore. It takes hours to do what only took minutes or even just seconds before. Even navigating around the viewport works differently. It took me 20 minutes just to figure out how to change brush order!

It's probably going to take me a week or two just to *begin getting used to all the differences.

On the bright side, I really like the face and edge selection selection/editing capabilities. Once I get used to using them, they should significantly speed up brush editing over vertex editing. Selecting surfaces/edges seems kind of wonky at times. It isn't very precise and often selects the wrong thing. I found zooming in closer helps with selection though it's a bit of a pain because then you often have to zoom right back out to actually move the surface or edge and align it properly.
                    Last edited by MoxNix; 03-04-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Just to provide another way of thinking, an 8 sided brush starting from a cube can also be achieved by brush clipping each corner. Pen tool would be much more efficient, but hey, the more ways you can think of something, the more things you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by lawlorz View Post
                        Just to provide another way of thinking, an 8 sided brush starting from a cube can also be achieved by brush clipping each corner. Pen tool would be much more efficient, but hey, the more ways you can think of something, the more things you can do.
                        Dunno about now, but in the editors for 2k4 and earlier brush clipping was unreliable. It often had strange results, the more complex the brush the more likely clipping would screw it up. Using the 3D shape editor and vertex editing worked a whole lot better.

The same for interesecting / deinstersecting burshes. A neat trick in 2k4 though was to make a bunch of simpler brushes, select them all and convert to static mesh. It'd make one single mesh out of all the brushes and do it perfectly without all the errors brush intersecting was prone to introduce. You could then convert the mesh back to a single brush if you wanted and the brush would be exactly like the mesh. I did that sometimes to resize, vertex edit a mesh, change or realign textures on it and then convert back to a mesh (it worked with any mesh too).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get that map to T3D converter to convert an unreleased 2k4 map I was working on and put the brushes in the right places instead of scrambling everything up.

Edit: Figured it out. The trick was using both, first the UT3 converter on the 2k4 map, then the UDK converter on the T3D output from the first one.
                        Last edited by MoxNix; 03-05-2015, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X