No announcement yet.

UnrealEd 2 - Brush import into UE4 Editor - Every Brush Centrally Clumped. :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UnrealEd 2 - Brush import into UE4 Editor - Every Brush Centrally Clumped. :(

Hi folks,

I've conducted a forum search to look for a possible thread which relates to this, without success, so:

Yesterday, while messing about to get myself reacquainted with the old editor and acquainted with the new one, I tried to import a series of brushes from one of my UnrealEd 2 maps into the new editor but had a problem. While exporting the brushes from my map with UnrealEd 2, (export all, export some, export by type, but all were exported in .t3d file ext'), seemed to work ok; whenever I imported them into the new editor, (import all, import some, import by type, but all were imported in .t3d file ext'), they were all clumped into the centre of the map, (0.0.0), after a geometry build and not where they, 'should', have been. What did I do right and what did I get wrong? Some help please, thanks. Oh and I did also try, 'Build Geometry To Current Map' - not even this seemed to work. Feel free of course to ask any questions.

If It helps, I'm using UT99's UnrealEd 2, (v436), and the new Unreal Editor, (UE4, 4.7.1, I think that's what it is, right? Or could it be 4.7.0?), on W7 x64.

Here's hoping you can tell me what the problem could be and how I might be able to solve it, thanks.
    Last edited by R3plicant; 03-04-2015, 01:36 AM. Reason: Added overlooked necessary information.

It will not work the way you are attempting, you will need to run the t3d through a converter. Refer to the first post of this thread: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...t=convert+ut99 it has the converters and instructions you need.

Comment

This UT3 Converter is far too outdated to help with UE4.

Originally posted by lawlorz View Post
      It will not work the way you are attempting, you will need to run the t3d through a converter. Refer to the first post of this thread: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...t=convert+ut99 it has the converters and instructions you need.
      Thanks lawlorz but, well, there're several large problems getting in the way of my attempts to port the UT99 map to UE4 editor.

1. I don't have UT3.
      2. I don't have UDK.
      3. I have absolutely no experience with 1 & 2, (despite playing UT3 for a few weeks, but didn't edit anything in that time).
      4. I don't have ANY other editor, converter, stand-alone programs for anything related to UT from UT99 to this new UE4. 15yr gap of nothing in between the two.
      5. The instructions given by Thomson are very poor - plus, they're for UT3, yet I have UE4. So, useless.
      6. The poor instructions given in the UT3 converter are for UT3,. I have UE4.
      7. Import menu in UE4 Editor only allows ONE item at a time to be imported, yet it's being said I need to import textures as a package, (select all, make into a package, somehow), - but import in UE4 essentially allows only t3d files to be imported - one at a time. Trying to select ALL the textures as in the UT3 Converter is no go,. can only select one at a time but textures are we all know, not t3d files.

In short - for ME anyway, UT3 Converter is useless, why is there not an updated converter for Unrealed 2 -> UE4? The UT3 Converter is already 5yrs old,. which as we all know was written well before this pre-alpha of UE4 - far too many GUI mismatches and method mismatches for UT3 Converter to be much use with porting a UT99 map to UE4.

Comment

hey mate, its all good. you don't actually need UT3 for the converter to work. essentially what is happening is the converter is going to bring a ut99 or ut2k3/4 map into UE3 and make it compatible with UE3... and then it will be convertible to UE4. don't let the naming conventions get you down. please, take another look at the thread I linked you to, and the instructions within. leave your doubtd at the door, and just give it a try, and youll find what you are after.

Comment

Originally posted by lawlorz View Post
          hey mate, its all good. you don't actually need UT3 for the converter to work. essentially what is happening is the converter is going to bring a ut99 or ut2k3/4 map into UE3 and make it compatible with UE3... and then it will be convertible to UE4. don't let the naming conventions get you down. please, take another look at the thread I linked you to, and the instructions within. leave your doubtd at the door, and just give it a try, and youll find what you are after.
          lawlorz, fantastic instructions to teach me how to fly a Mig 29, won't help me ride a Honda Fireblade.

Comment

Originally posted by R3plicant View Post
            lawlorz, fantastic instructions to teach me how to fly a Mig 29, won't help me ride a Honda Fireblade.
            No worries mate. you can continue ignoring the methods given as long as you like. I hope you enjoy the outcome :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by R3plicant View Post
              Reading comprehension for the win.

It's pretty simple actually, you run one converter on the UT99 map, then run the other on it's output to convert it to UT4. The UT3 t3d file is nothing more than a transitional step in the conversion process. You don't need to mess with it, you don't even need UT3 or it's editor at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                Reading comprehension for the win.

It's pretty simple actually, you run one converter on the UT99 map, then run the other on it's output to convert it to UT4. The UT3 t3d file is nothing more than a transitional step in the conversion process. You don't need to mess with it, you don't even need UT3 or it's editor at all.
                Hey MoxNix, your tip helped - thanks! Getting the maps converted wasn't QUITE as straight-forward as I'd have hoped, but it didn't take me too long to work it out. So, thankfully I now have my old Battlefort (v2), map, (BSP brushes mainly), in the new editor albeit with lots of work to do to bring it bang up to date; namely textures, re-assignment of sounds, re-doing all the lighting, the correction of many brushes and a shed-load of stuff to learn, but a lot less work than if I had to start the map from absolute scratch, so really it's all good. I'll use this mapping experience to learn how to use the new editor, I don't think the map, (when complete), will be anything to write home about, but that's another story.

Thanks again. Nice one. Here's how I did it - I think, :

1. Open UT3 Converter.
                2. Correctly set program folder paths in Settings.
                3. Select and open map you wish to convert.
                4. Hit Convert.
                5. After a short time, your map will be converted; then,....
                6. Open the other converter, (UDK Converter).
                7. Select and open your newly converted map file.
                8. Hit Convert.
                9. Map will be further converted for use in UE4 Editor.
                10. Open UE4 Editor.
                11. File->Import the file produced by the UDK Converter.
                12. Click & drag a BSP cube into your new level, resize to 100000, set coordinates to 0.0.0, (or at least centre it around your map if map isn't centred in the editor world), and make Subtractive. Set brush order to first.
                13. Rebuild.
                14. Save map, like: DM-MapName, or CTF-MapName etc.

Textures and sounds etc will have to be imported through the content browser. Save map as before if you need/want those to use later in the reproduction of your map.

Comment

Working...
                X