Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Kypperstyx View Post
    I know itll take a long time because you only ever just get better and better but it's what ive always wanted to do just never had a good computer before, i still dont really lol im using my moms alienware laptop until my tax return comes back to get myself a new nice one. Being able to be on here and talk with the community and the developers and just how open the development of the new game is is like a dream come true lol ive been a UT player since i was little. (a lot younger than the rating permits) thanks for all the advice everyone!
    the best advice I can give you is use the engine. play with it. make rubbish, but make rubbish you enjoy making.

the more you play with it, the more youll understand how it works, the more youll understand your work.

not everything you make will be good. half if not more will be terrible.

if you want to make good UT maps, you need to have a solid understanding of the gametype you are aiming for. if you want to make a DM map, play a lot of DM, understand what makes a good map, understand what YOU like about other DM maps. take this knowledge and then apply it to making your own maps. typically when I start a map I will open mspaint and start drawing. it will look terrible but as long as you understand it (replace ms paint with your software of choice, or pen and paper).

sometimes I even just jump straight into the editor and start building and see where it takes me. but not everything you make will be worthy. I typically start a new folder for a new map, and I have numerous folders full of partially fleshed out ideas ive started making that I then gave up on. Learn when what youre making is useable or not. you can even take parts of previous partial idea and combine them and create something awesome.

im rambling... just start creating, keep an open mind, but also be objective.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know itll take a long time because you only ever just get better and better but it's what ive always wanted to do just never had a good computer before, i still dont really lol im using my moms alienware laptop until my tax return comes back to get myself a new nice one. Being able to be on here and talk with the community and the developers and just how open the development of the new game is is like a dream come true lol ive been a UT player since i was little. (a lot younger than the rating permits) thanks for all the advice everyone!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://www.hourences.com/product/the...evel-design-2/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I suppose this isn't really advice, but I feel like it's worth saying. You are starting a long, long, long journey. You wont believe the rate you improve, and the more you improve the more you'll realize that you aren't scratching the surface of everything there is to know. Don't be put off by that, and if you ever struggle, ask for advice, like you are doing now, and you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    my 2 cents: Stop watching video tutorials in bed. Instead opt for a hands-on approach.
    Practice makes perfect.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Everything Wail said.

The offical maps are also available in the editor, it's a good place to start learning how the maps are done. Also it would be best to open a forum thread when you have an idea of a map, put your drawings in there and get feedback already. Then start working the on BSP layout. The key is to iterate a lot to improve the map and mostly (yet painfully) accept sometimes that parts of your map will have to be completely deleted and rebuilt. So don't be afraid to test ideas, if they work keep them, if they don't delete them and start over, but test your ideas above all !

Good luck out there

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Start by sketching designs on paper.
    Good Deathmatch layouts generally have a circular flow.
    When you are using the editor to make levels, start designing with BSP only.
    Successful maps for UT will generally resemble other successful maps. Look at them and learn from them. Other maps are your best learning resource.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Any tips for a new map maker?

Any tips for a new map maker?

I am officially in training to learning the Unreal Engine 4, anyone have any tips for making good levels or buildings? I have a long way to go to get good but I am ready, I have always wanted to contribute lol

Attached Files
Working...
X