Acceleration Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ok, I have officially made the Accelerator Multi-Directional (with the option to be Uni-Directional too, for hallways and stuff)! I have updated the Zip folder to contain the new map, BP, and a new video I made showing them in action.

The link is here. Keep the ideas coming guys! Also, I don't think I answered why this would be better for Horizontal Movment ten the Jump Pad, the difference is that this is a lot faster and has no Z lift (I don't know if the jump pad can go on Walls or Celing, but the Accelerator can, eventually lol). I have made the Multi go on Ceiling, but with gravity, it does not work correctly all the time. I am also working on a way to set a custom speed (if you don't want the player to just fly off), it will keep pushing you at that speed until you pass the desired point (the length variable)(this is not in the zip yet).
    I am having some trouble getting the player to not be able to move when accelerating (this would need to be togglable), any help would be great!
    --GMC
    Last edited by gmc; 03-08-2015, 02:24 AM. Reason: Ceiling version for Multi

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, a lot of people have commented on my post today! So I shall answer all of your questions in order!

1) Ok, so for your idea Tagglink, I am guessing you mean it accelerates you in the direction you are currently walking/running right? This could be possible, I could make it so you specify how far you would go, but as for the muli-directional functionality might take some work, you would have to get the direction the player is currently running, gets the custom "farness" that is set and get the 2DVector length of that, I think this could work, but what about the visuals? I quite like this idea though, while this could not have a Wall version (you can't walk on Walls), it can have a Ceiling one! I would need to make a "default" Acceration Position for if you jump straight up into the Ceiling Accelerator (you would not be providing a direction to the BP so it would not know were to throw you).

2) Lawlorz, I don't think that was a question to me, but thanks for posting on the forum! (And if we do use the treadmill idea, it will not have walls so you can go anywhere!)

3) Wail, I have attached a video of what this BP does in the ZIP folder here, if you want me to make another with the update map and Accelerator I can! As for your statement about the Physics Volume, I had not thought about using that, but what this does, is instead of having a bunch of Volumes around the map, you could put down a BP that is all set up and ready to go and has cool visuals!

4) Tidu, a zip line is a great idea, however, we would need someone to make us a launcher and the actual line for it, I might do this myself and make a prototype, but I am not as good at modeling as I am with BPs. As for the BP part of it, I really have no idea of how hard this may be, the hardest part I can think of is getting when the Launcher Line hits something and it would need to check if it was a human or not (unless we want people zip lining into other people!), also depending on how we make you reach the destination (are you moving or the launcher its self moving?). If it's the first, the Launcher would need to see if the wall it hit was the floor, a wall, or the ceiling to get the correct movement mode and it would need to calculate the height at which it was shot to increase/decrease speed as necessary. If it was the launcher moving, It could just move along Zip Line Mesh (I think would work?) until it got to its destination or you dropped earlier. Dropping might not be a problem, if it's the Launcher moving, we could just detach it from the line, but if it's the character we might just make it so you stop moving and gravity takes over.

5) Megasporwic, while we could use a Physics Volume, but what about the visuals and ease of changeability? A BP would fix both of those, I also think, Performance wise, it would be better to have a lot of BPs that do one thing (Accelerate you) than a bunch of Volumes that do many other things that you don't need. As for a boost pad for vehicles, I do not have a lot of experience with them, so I would need to test some things out, but it would be possible to make a Vehicular Boost Pad (this includes other types of vehicles too IE. Hover Boards. The hardest part of that would be getting the board to "hover." You could make it stand off of the ground, but if you want it to feel realistic it would need to waver around (I think)).

Thanks everyone for your Ideas, they are greatly appreciated! Has anyone tried to use this with AIs yet? It would be much easier to test if I could see the AI's moving around on them! Right now I think we could find a way to make it work since there is an entrance and exit, but if we were to make it Mulit-Directional, we would have to make the AI know where it wanted to go and to go into the Accelerator the correct way, which would require AI programming, which is not my forte! Help is much appreciated! Also is everyone able to download the zip and play the map and get the BP?

If you still have questions or I did not fully answer your question, feel free to ask again!
    --GMC
    Last edited by gmc; 03-07-2015, 06:32 PM. Reason: Cant have a Multi-Directional Wall version

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was thinking the same thing...just use a physics Volume! Now a boost pad for vehicle and hoverboards would be great...but first we need vehicles and hoverboards

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is tangentially related, but what about a zip line? The player would be able to shoot from it, and dismount at any time. I don't have a lot of experience with blueprints, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gmc View Post
    I posted this in the Level Design section because this could affect the building of levels (especially big ones). This is a BP I have made that accelerates you to a specified point, like the jump pad, but horizontal movement only (although gravity will affect your destination over long distances). The BP could be used to traverse big maps quick, so you don't have to walk a while to get to a point, this will also make you change your tactics in fights and especially CTF maps (if you can't catch the Flag Bearer, you can't kill him!)

Right now; it does not look as good as the Jump Pad, because I wanted to go ahead and get it working, so if there are any ideas on how it should look, it still can be changed! Also, if you think something should be added/remove/changed, go ahead and post that too, since this is still WIP, like if you have a better way to accelerate the character (right now you have to run/walk into for it to launch you, it is mostly accurate, but can put you off course sometimes if don't walk into it fast enough or it just happens randomly).

The Accelerator can be chained with other Accelerators and Jump Pads! I have a link to a Zip Folder file with the AcceleratorTest Map so you can see how it works (this includes the BP), just drop the Accelerator folder into your Content Folder to get the assets! There is also a video that shows how it looks when you use the Pads if you do not want to download the .zip!

I am going to make these be able to go on walls (it can go on the ceiling, but will only look correct in the 4 Cardinal Direction and it is very erractic, it will not accelerate you to the correct spot at all right now.), but right now the particle rotation is not correct and gravity greatly affects your destination, so I will need to update the Destination Pointer to accommodate Gravity (this will be hard considering that I don't know if weapons and such affect the mass of the character or if everyone falls at the same rate and I don't yet know if/how increasing the acceleration distance or the Accelerater Pad's height will affect the pull of gravity). I thought about turning gravity off, but that makes the character fly off the map.

Also, I have no idea if this works with AI right now (I suspect it still works, the AI just won't actively seek out the Pads. I also do not know what will happen to them when they do get launched).

Any suggestions are welcome!
    --GMC
    Can you provide a video demonstration?

I'm trying to understand what this does that isn't possible via using a jumppad or via using a physics volume.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tagglink View Post
    Kind of like a treadmill.
    This is what I see.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	travelator-airport-11018809.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	334955

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How about instead of making this a "Pad" like the jump pad, you have an area on the ground where if you stand on it you accelerate in a direction? Kind of like a treadmill. You could always keep the pad idea if you don't want people to be able to jump into the acceleration anywhere in between the start and destination, because the treadmill concept would allow that.

I feel like most horizontal acceleration can be accomplished just by using the original jump pad, though. Maybe you could make a "jump pad for walls", which is placed on walls and shoots players away from the wall. It would basically be a jump pad that collides with the sides of the player instead of the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [PROTOTYPE] Acceleration Pad

Acceleration Pad

I posted this in the Level Design section because this could affect the building of levels (especially big ones). This is a BP I have made that accelerates you to a specified point, like the jump pad, but horizontal movement only (although gravity will affect your destination over long distances). The BP could be used to traverse big maps quick, so you don't have to walk a while to get to a point, this will also make you change your tactics in fights and especially CTF maps (if you can't catch the Flag Bearer, you can't kill him!)

Right now; it does not look as good as the Jump Pad, because I wanted to go ahead and get it working, so if there are any ideas on how it should look, it still can be changed! Also, if you think something should be added/remove/changed, go ahead and post that too, since this is still WIP, like if you have a better way to accelerate the character (right now you have to run/walk into for it to launch you, it is mostly accurate, but can put you off course sometimes if don't walk into it fast enough or it just happens randomly).

The Accelerator can be chained with other Accelerators and Jump Pads! I have a link to a Zip Folder file with the AcceleratorTest Map so you can see how it works (this includes the BP), just drop the Accelerator folder into your Content Folder to get the assets! There is also a video that shows how it looks when you use the Pads if you do not want to download the .zip!

I am going to make these be able to go on walls (it can go on the ceiling, but will only look correct in the 4 Cardinal Direction and it is very erractic, it will not accelerate you to the correct spot at all right now.), but right now the particle rotation is not correct and gravity greatly affects your destination, so I will need to update the Destination Pointer to accommodate Gravity (this will be hard considering that I don't know if weapons and such affect the mass of the character or if everyone falls at the same rate and I don't yet know if/how increasing the acceleration distance or the Accelerater Pad's height will affect the pull of gravity). I thought about turning gravity off, but that makes the character fly off the map.

The AI currently do not actively seek out the Accelerator, however, if they do walk into one, nothing bad happens, other than still being able to shoot you while moving really fast!

Any suggestions are welcome!
    --GMC
    Last edited by gmc; 03-09-2015, 07:18 PM. Reason: Change AI info
Working...
X