Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D modeling tips

Hi,

Considering how todays level editing in games relies heavily on static meshes and not only bsp I've decided I'll start learning some 3D modeling. I've chosen blender for the job since its free and reliable.

Can anyone provide any starter tips to help me get on the way.

From what I've heard, Blender Cookie is pretty awesome (they have some free content). Otherwise trawl the YouTube. I'm pretty sure watching someone do stuff is more educational than a feature list. Most of the streams I've watched also overlay all the clicks + hotkeys that they press so you can duplicate it.

Blender is awesome!

Disclaimer: Not that I really know 3D modelling, but the little that I've dabbled with Blender made me happy

Comment

I've been doing the same, tons of video tutorials around and blender cookie is dope like Lost mentioned above. Also there are some blender specific streams on the UE4 youtube channel, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayp1lof0RJU

Comment

Thank for the tips guys. I'm sure I'll have more question once I start looking more in to this.

Comment

Ok so I've been trough some blender tutorials and I think I'm starting to feel comfortable enough to start creating some static meshes for my experimental level. But before I start I have some question that I'm hoping anyone experienced in this can answer.

1. When creating a mesh in blender for UE4 how do I make it the right size ( what is the size difference between the two etc... )?
          2. What program is best to make a background picture of my mesh in blender. Also any more tips on this regard?
          3. Any other tips in creating meshes in blender for UE4 that I haven't had the chance of finding out

I'm also hoping if a moderator can duplicate my thread in the UE4 forums under content creation.

Comment

Is blender better than 3d Max/Modo/Maya?

Comment

Originally posted by LostSalad View Post
              Blender is awesome!

Disclaimer: Not that I really know 3D modelling, but the little that I've dabbled with Blender made me happy
              Ditto! My own dabbling has been extremely limited but as far as I can tell Blender does everything I need or want.

What I plan on doing is make simple static meshes in UEd, export them to polish and add detail in Blender and import the final mesh back into UEd. I'm thinking that should make it easier to get the scale right and keep everything properly aligned to grid.

Comment

I appreciate your detailed answer.

Originally posted by darkskyabove

With an EPIC budget I would say BUY THEM ALL! And get one of these: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/c...asp?id=1162544
                LOL!

For mere mortals, like myself, Blender and GIMP (instead of Photoshop @ $600/year; as they went full cloud) at the unbeatable price of $0.00 can probably do everything needed to create custom UT content, whether for fun or profit.
                I use GIMP

PS: I notice you're on the Weekly Mappers Match list, so you might want to figure this out soon. BSP maps might work great for testing, but EPIC Fail for final product without, at least, some mesh enhancements. Hope it all goes well. As a, hopefully, constructive suggestion: if 3D modelling is not, yet, your thing, but map design (layout, flow, item placement, etc.) is, you might consider collaborating with someone who has the modelling skills. Pretty sure it's kinda rare to have both talents in the same body.
                I have a one-month pass to MODO atm so I'm going to try that.

My university email can get me a 3-year trial of MAYA as well.

I guess I'll have to decide between MODO, Maya and Blender. Thanks.

Comment

I forgot I made this thread

Thanks for all the tips and advices. For the last week I was digging hard trough blender tutorials and watched tons of videos. Made my first model and import it to unreal with much success. I'm now learning how to texture properly in blender and afterwards my model should be complete and I can move on to other meshes that I need.

I'm thinking of switching to subscription model of Maya when the time comes just for the sake of learning that one too. But in general I have to say that I really like blender and hope to see Epic continues to provide support for it as it does now.

I have to say that in the past modeling was what kept me away from level editing. I still remember when I was young and was making bsp levels for unreal and half life with some simple bsp meshes. But as level design in games got more advanced with better meshes I felt lost and stopped creating. But now that I've taken the time learn how to model I have to say that its better this way because you can make some pretty advance stuff with modeling that you cant with bsp crafting.

Comment

One question though. Watching the second part of the video above that @dark posted I saw them talking about low poly and high poly mesh. When I made my model I haven't considered that so it begs the question. Is that necessary, do I need to create high and low poly for my mesh to work in UE4? Why would we create low and high poly versions? Which one gets imported into the UE4, both?

Comment

After some tinkering with I think I finally gotten around on how to properly make the UV images
                      I still wish there was a better way of doing this. Source engine ( Hammer ) offers a good showcase on how to apply textures and decals and I think UE4 and even other modeling programs should pick on from them.

Comment

Working...
                      X