How big should a Map be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big should a Map be??

I don't want to make a level(map) too big or too small. Is there a good rule of thumb or size range to adhere to?

That all depends on how many players you envision in it. Right now I see too many claustrophobic 1v1 and 2v2 maps, so it would be nice to see even 16 player maps that are a little larger, say with both indoor and outdoor areas. I miss those.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Any specific dimensions though ? I was thinking a CTF map probably. 16 players sounds about right for what I want to do.
      Last edited by d33p_Sky; 03-07-2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Just do what feels comfortable.

Comment

At a minimum, a CTF map should be large enough for 6 people to play comfortably. Basically, there really aren't many practical restraints on how small a map can be, within reason. I'd say CTF-andACTION (just a small box) from UT99 is the minimum. The other end of the scale is a different story. Maps like Zeitkind-FinalPro (huge city map from UT99) are cute, but too danged big to be fun for deathmatch or CTF. As a practical matter, the maps that people really enjoyed tended to feature frequent encounters with opposing players and high body counts, so the tighter, probably the better. At the extreme end of the size scale, you probably don't want to make any maps larger than what 20 people would play in. The largest map I'd want to make would be good for 16 people. Heck, if I produce a UT4 version of CTF-DagnysBigAssMapV2, it's going to be significantly thinner and maybe shorter.
          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

How big is big?

For scaling, double the scale rounded to 10s to fit the grid seems to work best. So in UE4 use 250/500/1000/2000 where you would have used 128/256/512/1024 in UE2/UE3.

For more general how big is the map as a whole, I'd say DM-Temple or SidCastle are approaching the size of the largest DM maps I'd want to play often. I don't think I'd like playing on anything much smaller than ASDF or NickTest either.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X