Help Me Understand the Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Understand the Process

OK, so apparently I'm a little confused with this fantastic tool we've been given the opportunity to use.

I'm mainly interested, right now anyway, in creating maps for UT4 (or whatever it will be called). The issue for me is the Project vs. New Level differences. Someone in my seat who wants to make a nice map to play would start by....

New Project? New Level? New Project and a New Level within that project? Do the levels live inside a project? Are projects only for game development and not necessary if I'm only making maps? Did I miss this tutorial video and I can get all my answers if I watch it?

I don't think I fully understand the proper steps to get started. I good with actually making stuff for the most part. Thanks for any help in advance.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

I look at the Project as where all the stuff resides. (assets, etc.) The project is Unreal Tournament. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

And the map is within the project. =)
    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

New project shouldn't be used. A project is like a completely new game and not related to UT. The Unreal engine 4 editor is a multi-project editor. Previous engines need to use a installation for each specific game.

Getting started from the Unreal Engine 4 docs would help to understand the basics. If you want to create a map for any gametype, use New level. Even if you want to create a new gametype (with C++ or BP), you use New level and not a new project at all. Structure your stuff into folders.

And just because you asked "New project", are you actually using the UT editor and not a Unreal Engine 4 version? The UT editor has no project, it forces to use the UT project.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I had a feeling the project was more than I needed. @RattleSN4K3, as you can imagine I had tried both. So I should open the Epic Games Launcher, hit the Unreal Tournament tab, Create and then Launch? Would I still have access to whatever assets are currently available right? Can't wait to learn this engine. Looks fantastic. Just gotta figure out getting textures from C4D to come through properly so I don't always make maps with the provided static meshes.

W.I.P.s
        DM-Containers

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl3D View Post
          @RattleSN4K3, as you can imagine I had tried both. So I should open the Epic Games Launcher, hit the Unreal Tournament tab, Create and then Launch? Would I still have access to whatever assets are currently available right? Can't wait to learn this engine. Looks fantastic. Just gotta figure out getting textures from C4D to come through properly so I don't always make maps with the provided static meshes.
          Yes. If you want to use Starter content, you can still import these from UE4. They probably ripped it (removed it) so people don't have to load so much (as the Starter content for example is about 500MB in size).
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

One more question on the topic of assets. How can I import materials from another level or project?

W.I.P.s
            DM-Containers

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl3D View Post
              One more question on the topic of assets. How can I import materials from another level or project?
              Basic materials are in \Content\RestrictedAssets\Environments\ShellResources\Materials\

Comment

From what I understand its best to make a folder for all your assets inside the content folder but not inside of the Restricted assets folder! After you create your folder and subfolders you simple click on import in the content browser while inside your folder. You can also drag and drop FBX meshes and textures right into your folders! Also while in a folder you can right click to see options (as seen above) to create a Material, BluePrint ect...many option are in there.
                Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                X