16 side cylinder, but square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16 side cylinder, but square

Can't figure out how to do this without triangulating my brushes and feeling stupid. Brush clipping gives me bsp holes.
    I get the feeling I'm missing something really obvious and easy.

Sid seems to be using 16 side cylinders...how?
    Attached Files

Have you tried the Pen tool yet?

Comment

BSP holes are due to surfaces which aren't perfectly flat (or not planar). Triangulate might be the way to go.

Comment

Yes. But I can't make slopes with that. Or can I?

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
          Yes. But I can't make slopes with that. Or can I?
          A circular slope? Without vertex editing, I guess not, since pen doesn't have a rotate option. I just realized that now.

If you want it to slope all the way around in a circle, like a cone, you'll have to do some vertex editing and that will cause it to triangulate. You'd be less likely to get BSP errors with a Pen shape though since it would be aligned to grid. But it might not light very well, I had that problem with an 8 sided "cylinder" made with Pen and vertex edited to slope.

I suppose you could always use the cone tool. Personally I don't like using the cylinder, cone or circular stair tools because they don't make shapes that align to the grid properly.

No rotate on Pen tool makes me sad though. I was planning on doing some circular stairways with rotated shapes for another map later. Oh well, maybe they'll add rotation by the time I get around to doing that.
          Last edited by MoxNix; 03-15-2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Ok, found some workaround. But probably not Sid's way.
            Create a vertical slice of the shape you want with one or multiple box brushes.

From then on, start using extrude and brush clipping in geometry editing mode.
            This way all the slopes have the same angle.

Attached Files

Comment

I've been meaning to try the extrude tool sometime... If it works the way I hope it does, it'll be a powerful, versatile and very useful tool.

What I'm hoping it does is allow you to select a face, pull it out and in the process create entirely new surfaces between the old and new positions of the extruded face.

According to https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Gett...sive Modifiers it looks like it just might do what I want.

Mind you that's from the UE3 documentation but assuming UE4 is similar, and it should be, it sounds promising. I also learned from that doc that the Lathe tool is for rotations and exactly what various other things like Weld and Optimize are for.

So maybe to do what you want, you need to use Pen tool with bCreateBrushShape checked, then use Lathe to rotate that shape and finally Optimize to remove any unnecessary triangulation.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 03-15-2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Interesting, I've been playing around with Extrude today and discovered it only seems to work on Additive brushes, not Subtractive. So if you want to Extrude a subtractive brush it's a bit of a pain. First you have to make it additive, drag it out into empty space, rebuild, extrude, convert back to subtractive, move back into position and rebuild again.

Still it's a fairly quick way of building complex geometry with all the trim and such lining up just so. And all in one brush making it easier to move the whole thing around, edit faces and such later. I just wish it worked on subtractive brushes too.
                Last edited by MoxNix; 03-15-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
                  Ok, found some workaround. But probably not Sid's way.
                  Create a vertical slice of the shape you want with one or multiple box brushes.

From then on, start using extrude and brush clipping in geometry editing mode.
                  This way all the slopes have the same angle.

That's more or less the same approach I am using except I usually just duplicate the brushes around and edit from there. Once you have your reference slope that you aren't deviating from it's really straightforward to add height variance by shifting one entire side up or down.

No idea why that brush would claim to be a cylinder. Could be it was a cylinder a few duplicates way back and at some point I just clipped it after to use for something else /shrug.

Comment

Could save yourself a lot of Head ache and make a Mesh...besides it will look 100% better!
                    Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                    X