Funky Geometry Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funky Geometry Issue

So I'm trying out an Egyptian-themed level for UT. As you can see in this screen grab, half that column is missing, as well as, a large section of that floor to the left of the base. I messed around with the order (To First and To Last), but if it fixes one part, it messes up a new part. Is this just the alpha state of the editor? A BSP thing? Do I not really understand what I'm doing? Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

So is this problem so rare nobody has a clue or am I posting in the wrong forum?

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

Comment

I just made a similar post (it's waiting for moderator approval). When I put down BSD objects on certain areas of my map, they will be missing textures in odd places, but if I move the object over to the right or left, the textures appear. I figured I might be making a newbie mistake, but now I'm not sure. Bug?

Comment

You've got a bsp somewhere which has a bsp hole. It's cutting trough other geometry.
        Look for a bsp which has errors, has been cut incorrectly...maybe you accidentally deleted a face of a brush. See the screenshot below:
        I deleted a face of the box brush and it's cutting trough the cylinder. Delete the brush, or fix it the way explained here: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...vel-Design-BSP

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a BSP error.

Comment

Try simplifying some of your brushes... those cylinders have a large number of sides, try halving it to make the BSP behave better, also ensure you aren't overlapping brushes.

Comment

yes it is a bsp error. Sometimes, if either there is a very complex bsp brush, and it is touching another bsp or going through it, it will cause these anomalies. If possible try moving the additive brush 1 unit off of any other brush so it is not touching, or like lawlorz said simplifying the brushes would help. For me the most offending types are the cylinders with many sides. I know most people do not use modeling programs, so saying create your round parts in a modeling program isn't always the answer. But that is the best bet for any higher poly count object. Good luck!
              Bah_Mee

Comment

Bah_Mee,

Can you recommend a modeling program?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bah_Mee View Post
                  yes it is a bsp error. Sometimes, if either there is a very complex bsp brush, and it is touching another bsp or going through it, it will cause these anomalies. If possible try moving the additive brush 1 unit off of any other brush so it is not touching, or like lawlorz said simplifying the brushes would help. For me the most offending types are the cylinders with many sides. I know most people do not use modeling programs, so saying create your round parts in a modeling program isn't always the answer. But that is the best bet for any higher poly count object. Good luck!
                  Bah_Mee
                  Brushes can touch or go through each other, that's not an issue, but bad practice. However having inverted brushes or weird surfaces with triangulations, this can lead to those issues. Best is to try to select the brush, go to geometry mode, then triangulate, then untriangulate. This works 90% of the time. If this does not work, it means the brush is completely wrong in which case it should be deleted and rebuilt.

Make sure you also triangulate+untriangulate the brushes around the BSP errors.
                  RASTE IN PEACE !
                  Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                  Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

You can also try setting things like your pillars to be semi solid brushes. Means they wont make cuts into neighbouring BSP and will reduce the chance of creating BSP holes.

Comment

Working...
                    X