NavMesh -- Can't Build or Save Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NavMesh -- Can't Build or Save Level

So to get more practice with the editor, I'm remaking the old CoD map Shipment. Nothing fancy, lots of cubes, some subtractive and the basic sky setup. I added the Importmant Light Volume thing. All is good until I add the NavMesh to make sure the bots know where they can go. If I hit Save, crash. If I hit Build, crash. I also cannot see the green by hitting P in the level. Tried moving it around, different sizes nothing.

I just tried deleting the LightVolume object and hit build and get the same crash. Error below:
    MachineId:BAE587D34B69B064C71E2682C53384B4

You do not have any debugging symbols required to display the callstack for this crash.

Any ideas? I have the latest build, 4.7.2 running on Windows 7 Pro. I'm really a Mac guy, so troubleshooting Windows is not my bag at all anymore. Thanks.
    Last edited by BigAl3D; 04-16-2015, 03:49 PM.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

"4.7.2 running"
    The UT editor hasn't got any minor release number, it is just 4.7 (4.7.0-2480567 to be specific). Are you running the UT editor or the engine editor with the UT project loaded? If the latter is the case, use the UT editor which is provided in the Launcher on the Unreal Touranment tab under Create.
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I'm launching the editor from the launcher which is the latest build from last week, actually 4.7.3.

W.I.P.s
      DM-Containers

Comment

And you are opening the UT project?
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Not a project, but a level yes, I created it this morning. Everything works so far minus the NavMesh

W.I.P.s
          DM-Containers

Comment

How many player starts did you have?
            My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

I think I had only four for a test. I know in UT3 you had to have 16 starts, but I haven't seen any mention of that requirement in UE4.

Whoops, I just found something that said a minimum of 8 starts. I'll try that now.

W.I.P.s
              DM-Containers

Comment

Are you doing anyhting with UT (assuming this as your posting on this UT forum and talking about UT3 etc.) or doing a basic level in the Unreal Engine editor 4.7.3 without using anything related to UT?

Do you see this splash screen?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	UT4SplashScreen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	335372

There is no minimum player start but you it is recommended for UT to have a specific amount of playerstart as that is how UT works the best.

Comment

That did the trick. Now the only issue is the bots stay within a small area near where they spawned and don't run around the entire map. I thought the navmesh took care of that, no?

W.I.P.s
                  DM-Containers

Comment

I only mentioned how UT3 needed more starts. I run the launcher, UT tab, create and launch then new level. I thought this is how to create a basic map for UT.

W.I.P.s
                    DM-Containers

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl3D View Post
                      That did the trick. Now the only issue is the bots stay within a small area near where they spawned and don't run around the entire map. I thought the navmesh took care of that, no?
                      Yes and no. UT probably refers to Navigation points as well (in the past, not sure if the new code uses it but it is recommended). Build Paths from the Build dropdown might fix that.

Originally posted by BigAl3D View Post
                      I only mentioned how UT3 needed more starts. I run the launcher, UT tab, create and launch then new level. I thought this is how to create a basic map for UT.
                      Wasn't sure which editor you open and have problems with as you weren't stating it clearly but mentioning 4.7.3 which is only the version number of the full Unreal Engine editor.

Comment

Make sure the navmesh completely encompasses the entire area you want bots running around on. Then do a full rebuild. After the rebuild finishes hit P to see the navmesh. If the navmesh was built, surfaces will be covered in green. In addition there should be a number of darker green rectangles with purple lines between them.

If you don't see the darker green rectangles and purple lines, hit build paths from the pulldown menus to fix that. Sometimes you won't need to build paths, sometimes you will, I think it depends on whether or not you've made changes to the geometry (which in turn causes the navmesh to change) since the last build.
                        Last edited by MoxNix; 03-22-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Now I'm in business. Bots are still doing dumb stuff, but much better than before. I only have the starts and haven't figured out how to find the weapon pickups. Every tutorial I read or see has access to more stuff than I do.

W.I.P.s
                          DM-Containers

Comment

Type base into the search box, you want to use Weaponbase and Powerupbase. For ammo pickups, search on ammo, for health pickups search for Health.

Comment

Now I see what I was doing wrong. Again back to UT3. I'm not yet used to the way the UE4 pickups look and there's a whole folder of old UT3 pickups that show up in the browser. I was placing an old base but had no weapon list to chose. Not until I played the map and saw how small the objects were that the light turned on in my head. What's the purpose of having the old stuff in there? I suppose we could scale them up and add some blueprint instructions to them.

W.I.P.s
                              DM-Containers

Comment

Working...
                              X