Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help resolving an "effects" problem with Lea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help resolving an "effects" problem with Lea.

Hi everyone. I'm attempting to improve the lighting on Lea from a competitive standpoint, but I've run into a problem.

When I change my "Effects" quality from "Epic" to "Low" using the "Engine Scalability" menu in the editor, I get a drastically different result.

Here are the pictures:

Epic: http://i.imgur.com/iv8tuNG.jpg

Low: http://i.imgur.com/VaKJT4M.jpg

As you can see, the Low detail is very blue and would be bad for red player since blue player blends in with the map. Whereas, on Epic detail, there shouldn't be a problem seeing players.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Is there a way that I can get a similar post processing result for both Low and Epic effects?

Update: The issue is definitely related to Sphere Reflection Captures because when I select all of them and hit "H" to hide, the map becomes ugly blue again. Maybe there's a way to force sphere reflection captures to be on for low detail mode?

Update #2: Reflection captures only appear correct on "High" and "Epic" effects detail. On "Low" or "Medium" the map becomes an ugly blue hue. By enable "r.SimpleDynamicLighting 0" from the console, the map begins to look somewhat normal but there's a penalty - now the map is too dark and weapons/pickups become black. Obviously, not worth it.

If anyone here knows how I can force Effects detail to be always "High" or "Epic" for ALL PLAYERS and not just me, that would resolve this problem for players who are currently refusing to play Lea due to the lighting problems.

Thanks,
    -Neil (CaptainMigraine)
    Last edited by Neilz0r; 03-22-2015, 07:27 AM.
    Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Probably the same problem like this one:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...rfaces-problem

That problem will likely be resolved (refering to Nick).
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Hey man!

Like Nick mentioned in that other thread that is a bug currently and we are working on a better solution instead of just straight up dropping captures for low settings.

Still worth mentioning that I think the level visuals and readability would benefit overall by decreasing the amount of metalness and low roughness across the map. I.e. if you look at it in lighting only you see that there is a good amount of bounce and readability going on (with the exception of a few corners/connecting hallways that simply need a bit more work). Having things be as reflective as they are currently does muddy things up a bit. If you look at Outpost for example most of the reflective surfaces (besides a few details here and there) are limited to the floor. Otherwise things simply get a bit hard to light properly.

Comment

The other solution is to fix it with a hammer: get rid of all the blue lighting and use a much more neutral color overall. That isn't a great long term solution, obviously, and limits any artistic integrity, so I wouldn't recommend it aside from the fact that there may be a middle ground: if you desaturate the blue a bit and then combine that with whatever tech solution we come up with, they two could compliment each other nicely.

It's also worth mentioning that team skins are in flux, so they should pop better soon, making this _somewhat_ less of an issue.
        Jim Brown
        @EntropicDev
        Epic Games

Comment

Wouldn't it be possible to use a fallback shader material which uses a static pre-rendered TextureCube?
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Working...
          X