Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

n00b Question - How To Save and Cook Maps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n00b Question - How To Save and Cook Maps.

I need to save my map and try it out in game to make sure the scale and everything is OK. How do I do this?

When ever I hit "Save As" I choose the name MoonGamesNew and it saves it to "Save Level As' Content Folder. Maps. When I cook the map, it always cooks and saves as the default map with the 2 chairs, and saves under the name MoonGames02. I names the default map that when I first started. My map is a full bsp level with no chairs in it at all. It saves a totally different map to the one I'm working on.

So what I'm trying to figure out is, how to correctly save a map and how to correctly cook it so I can play it from in game. I have player starts already added. I used to map for 2k4 and 2k4 and this seems totally different to the old editors.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

I removed the old version of the map form the launchers vault, and Now when I hit cook I get a really long error message.
    Win 10
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

I am a noob too, but what I usually do it's this:

-I save my map with the correct name: DM-MyCrazyMap CTF-MyDumbMap
      -I know what a map needs (lighting, possibly a sky dome, obviously something to walk on, and spawn points.
      -I press "build" to build ALL and I solve errors
      -Then i save againg
      -Then i press "share", and i wait. At the end i usually choose "not" for an early version (I have a 0.3 megabit upload).
      -I play it in the standard game choosing "create a game".

This is what i do if i want to play my map outside the editor.
      Last edited by Sgob; 03-28-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Thank Sgob, but I don't see a share option within the editor?

Originally posted by Sgob View Post
        I am a noob too, but what I usually do it's this:

-I save my map with the correct name: DM-MyCrazyMap CTF-MyDumbMap
        -I know what a map needs (lighting, possibly a sky dome, obviously something to walk on, and spawn points.
        -I press "build" to build ALL and I solve errors
        -Then i save againg
        -Then i press "share", and i wait. At the end i usually choose "not" for an early version (I have a 0.3 megabit upload).
        -I play it in the standard game choosing "create a game".

This is what i do if i want to play my map outside the editor.
        Win 10
        3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
        32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

How out of date are you? It's at the very top menu, has been for a bare minimum of 1 month.

Comment

Version 4.7.3

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
            How out of date are you? It's at the very top menu, has been for a bare minimum of 1 month.
            Win 10
            3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
            32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

I don't see it at all.
              Win 10
              3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
              32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
                I don't see it at all.
                are you using the actual UT editor? sounds like you're using the UE one.

Comment

I don't have that option. I'm using the one that downloaded from the launcher.

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                  are you using the actual UT editor? sounds like you're using the UE one.

Win 10
                  3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                  32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Does your editor say "UnrealTournament" in the upper right, like raxxy's?
                    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Nope. It has the project name.

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
                      Does your editor say "UnrealTournament" in the upper right, like raxxy's?
                      Win 10
                      3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                      32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

In the launcher there are 2 different editors.

The UnrealTournament editor is under the Unreal Tournament tab of the launcher. You select the "Create" option and install from there.

EDIT: Essentially...if you only want to create UT4 maps, you could uninstall the other engine versions under the Unreal Engine tab.
                        Be sure to backup your maps.
                        Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 03-28-2015, 04:13 PM.
                        Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Thanks man! I think I've found it, it's installing. And thanks everyone else for helping out too! You guys rock

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
                          In the launcher there are 2 different editors.

The UnrealTournament editor is under the Unreal Tournament tab of the launcher. You select the "Create" option and install from there.

EDIT: Essentially...if you only want to create UT4 maps, you could uninstall the other engine versions under the Unreal Engine tab.
                          Be sure to backup your maps.
                          Win 10
                          3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                          32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Working...
                          X