Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing one specific brush changes other brushes too! ôO

Hi,

right now I'am a bit confused ... normally I build some BSP brushes, duplicate them and vertex-edit them. I'am doing this all time. Now I got the problem, that ONE SPECIFIC brush will cause changes to the brush I duplicated it from as soon as I edit the new one. Means: I edit the newly duplicated brush -> the one I duplicated it from will be edited too. This is no general problem, it happens only with this specific brush (though, there might be other brushes with the same problem, but I haven't found them by now.

It's easy to fix. I simply build a new brush instead of duplicating.

Does someone have similar problems with BSP brushes?
    If you see me grinning, it's a disguise.
    If you see me grinning, don't trust my lies.
    When the ink dries, we'll have another masterpiece.
    When the drink dies, we'll have another restless sleep.

Occurred to me a couple of times. Also just built a new brush.

Comment

I used to have this issue a lot. It has been semi-fixed now (I'm using the git builds so I get updates more frequently than the launcher build, FYI).
      If the fix isn't working in the launcher yet, it will most likely be there in the next build/update.

Anyways, I say semi-fixed because the issue doesn't seem to arise when the brush is duplicated anymore, but there are still some edge cases where the issue will come up when brushes are mirrored and rotated.

But yea, as you said, the way to get around it is by using a new brush. Also, as long as you don't use the clip tool, you should be fine.
      MyArtstation
      @jayoplus

Comment

I've had the same problem. What helps for me is instead of duplicating brushes with Ctrl+W, you copy/paste instead with Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V. The side-effect of doing it that way however seems to be that you will get issues with texture alignment resetting on copied brushes, still it's the slightly less annoying of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
          Also, as long as you don't use the clip tool, you should be fine.
          Well ... that would be challenging!^^ And yes ... the brush causing this problem is modified with the clipping tool.

Comment

Originally posted by milb View Post
            Hi,

right now I'am a bit confused ... normally I build some BSP brushes, duplicate them and vertex-edit them. I'am doing this all time. Now I got the problem, that ONE SPECIFIC brush will cause changes to the brush I duplicated it from as soon as I edit the new one. Means: I edit the newly duplicated brush -> the one I duplicated it from will be edited too. This is no general problem, it happens only with this specific brush (though, there might be other brushes with the same problem, but I haven't found them by now.

It's easy to fix. I simply build a new brush instead of duplicating.

Does someone have similar problems with BSP brushes?
            Happened to me very often and not just with clipped brushes either. Also happened with vertex edited, face/edge edited, rotated, resized and texture aligned brushes. Pretty much any brush that had been copied and then edited in any way could have this happen... Sometimes right away, sometimes not until days or even weeks later.

to fix, I just deleted the problem brushes and made new ones from scratch (NOT copies!). Now I don't use copy very much because I know even it it seems to work fine at first, eventually it'll cause stupid problems like this (calling the editor stupid that is).

Using Ctrl-C Ctrl-V to copy brushes seemed to work better at first but that had problems too, especially with texture alignment.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM.

Comment

@MoxNix: Thanks for the info. Duplicating is the easy way. It's fast and simple. But looks like I have to build every brush from scratch. :/

Comment

Working...
              X