Issue With Static Mesh (FBX) Lightmap UVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue With Static Mesh (FBX) Lightmap UVs

So I've gotten the hang of making meshes in Cinema 4D and applying a UCX_ collision mesh which imports properly. The next hurdle is getting the proper UV setup for proper lightmap in engine. I'll update this with some images later, but I make the UV layout with no overlapping, relax them and name the tag differently than the color UV tag. When I import the FBX (v14), I get funky lighting effects on the model. This model as you will see later, is a shipping container which has the corrugated sides, so there are lots of angles going on there. I suspect this makes it more critical to have the custom lightmap setup right.

If I let UT4 Editor generate the lightmap, it looks the same. Just wonder what's the trick? I did see a Maya tutorial that showed the guy combing several separate UV elements into one, presumable to make things more efficient, but I'm just guessing.

Any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. I was just reading another post I'm also going to check to make sure the mesh is using the second UV map and maybe hit the rebuild button too.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

After reading some more posts and fiddling with some settings, things look much better now. Not sure if changing the lightmap resolution did it, or making sure the proper UVs were being used.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

Comment

i can't guide you on the resolution side or with using C4D , but the light map uv's really need to have a few seams as posible

i did this test broardcast for blender which sort of shows how i would layout the uv's for a box
      http://www.twitch.tv/ut40kgeodav/b/649546552
      might help you a little
      UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
      ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Working...
      X