Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stairs BSP question (video showing problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stairs BSP question (video showing problem)

check the video, it's easier than trying to describe in words the problem... what's the answer please?

https://youtu.be/6EqvsxCj7Sc

why would i do that when there is a stairs bsp which works great? obviously it can be done cos you can see in the video some stairs can do it

Comment

First select a polygon on the brush, any part of the brush will do. Then in detail panel

1. select surfaces matching brush
      2. align surface planar
      3. merge polygons

But like TB implied, learn to use the pen tool. It's very powerful and extremely easy to use plus it'll save you a whole lot of time and grief.
      Last edited by MoxNix; 06-05-2015, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
        First select a polygon on the brush, any part of the brush will do. Then in detail panel

2. align surface planar
        3. merge polygons

But like TB implied, learn to use the pen tool. It's very powerful and extremely easy to use plus it'll save you a whole lot of time and grief.

cheers mate, you're a star! superb!

i'm just a total noob, that's my first map, but i'll check it out pen tool.

thanks again

also - seeing as you give straight answers - once i'm done building, what's a good SIMPLE page giving simple instructions how to publish the map so i can play it locally from my launcher, and then submit it to wherever for people to play please?

Comment

2. align surface planar
          3. merge polygons

oh and how do i turn OFF that select/alignment to go back to the default please?
          some of them stayed fixed when i did build, and some of them reverted back to the horizontal 'lined' look when i did build... not sure why
          Last edited by nasty; 06-05-2015, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty View Post
            once i'm done building, what's a good SIMPLE page giving simple instructions how to publish the map so i can play it locally from my launcher, and then submit it to wherever for people to play please?
            Do a full build, save and then use the "Share" button in the toolbar to "pak" it.

If you answer yes to the question about sharing, it'll upload it to the cloud so when you run a listen server other players can join and play the map (that's what it's supposed to do anyhow, I've never used it so I have no idea if it actually works or not).

For distribution, you'll want to upload the pak somewhere where others can download it from (ut.rushbase.net is great for that).

For running a dedicated server you'll need to set up redirection and that's more complicated than I want to get into here.

Originally posted by nasty View Post
            oh and how do i turn OFF that select/alignment to go back to the default please?
            some of them stayed fixed when i did build, and some of them reverted back to the horizontal 'lined' look when i did build... not sure why
            That sounds more like the bugs with copying and rotating brushes. Basically any copied or rotated brush can bug out that way, especially if you edit it (resize, scale, change texture alignment, etc.) after copying and/or rotating. To work around the bugs, just don't copy or rotate brushes if you can avoid it. Using the pen tool helps with that too.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 06-06-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

ok cheers

Comment

Do a full build, save and then use the "Share" button in the toolbar to "pak" it.

If you answer yes to the question about sharing, it'll upload it to the cloud so when you run a listen server other players can join and play the map (that's what it's supposed to do anyhow, I've never used it so I have no idea if it actually works or not).

For distribution, you'll want to upload the pak somewhere where others can download it from (ut.rushbase.net is great for that).

For running a dedicated server you'll need to set up redirection and that's more complicated than I want to get into here.

That sounds more like the bugs with copying and rotating brushes. Basically any copied or rotated brush can bug out that way, especially if you edit it (resize, scale, change texture alignment, etc.) after copying and/or rotating. To work around the bugs, just don't copy or rotate brushes if you can avoid it. Using the pen tool helps with that too.

SHARE button says "coming soon"

dammit

Comment

Working...
                X