tough question - trigger multiple BSP volumes & door from trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tough question - trigger multiple BSP volumes & door from trigger

a bit of a tougher one this time. I have looked at the cabling type edits for things like doors and god almighty! I can cable up recording studios but these cabling editors are soooo cryptic.

so i want to do a simple thing:

create a trigger volume, and then be able to attach that to:

1. a UTpain volume
    2. a Postprocess volume
    3. a pointlight
    4. an ambient sound speaker (actor?)

also the trigger should activate a door to close.

so the trigger activates all those things at once. when a player has died within the ut pain volume, the door opens

clearly you know what i'm trying to build, but the editor is so UN-intuitive! it should be simple something like that. also tbh there is no tutorials on this stuff, or is there? i cant find any.

I'm coming from the Engine forums so I'm not sure if you're able to use blueprints in the Level Design for UT or not, but I would look into blueprint communications: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...intCommsUsage/

You probably want to focus on Interfaces as this is how I've achieved similar effects and functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by bokuden View Post
      I'm coming from the Engine forums so I'm not sure if you're able to use blueprints in the Level Design for UT or not
      You can, there's no difference.
      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Lynx! Got bored at work and decided to take a look at the UT forums for once

Comment

there's nothing in the documentation for beginners, there's no simple examples of basic things you can do

so here's a simpler question as the last one was too hard for anyone

i have a triggerbox volume. it opens a door - the triggerbox volume in blueprint is represented by an object *on begin overlap* this is then cabled to the matinee 'open door'

then there is a second button cabled to the same door matinee with a reverse object in between. and that closes the door

now how would you set it so the SAME button closes the door IF it is open?

There's no examples in any documentation i've read of how to setup those sort of (even the most basic) 'logic' things in blueprints.

surely coding should be easier than this? why cant it be like:

UTIF matineedoor(object) is START execute(triggervolume1) PLAY matineedoor(object)
          UTIF matineedoor(object) is PLAY execute(triggervolume1) NULL matineedoor(object)
          UTIF matineedoor(object) is END execute(triggervolume1) REVERSEPLAY matineedoor(object)

At least that'd make sense and would follow some sort of logical/sql type 'whatever'.

so how do you do that? how do setup those sort of logic/conditional IF things

IF lift is UP trigger plays lift matinee reverse.
          IF door is open, trigger plays door matinee reverse.
          IF player exits trigger volume sound stops playing

etc etc type things

??
          anyone can answer that OR point to some actual documentation/examples on it please?

Comment

seriously? there's no basic tutorials anywhere on this basic logic stuff?

Comment

im no expert on this sort of thing. but if frm what im understanding of what youre saying you want the button to close the door if it is open...
              you should be able to set a Boolean variable. name it something like "bIsDoorClosed". once you trigger the door to open through the triggervolume it will be set to true. then once trigger the button youd set the variable to false. and that would trigger the closing animation.

youd need some error checking in there somewhere, but hopefully that gives you an idea.
              Last edited by lawlorz; 06-27-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

If it helps....there's a "Button and Trap Room" in the Example Map when the editor opens.

Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
                  If it helps....there's a "Button and Trap Room" in the Example Map when the editor opens.

it might have helped before Epic unleashed this epic (see what i did there?) balls-up, the UT 4.8.0 editor, which just crashes as soon as you run PIE. So that's my map making days over then because the chance of a fix is unlikely - plus not a thing was fixed from the previous version anyways, so what was the point even?

Comment

Working...
                  X