Shadows on brush geometry vs static mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadows on brush geometry vs static mesh

So I understand it's better to use Static meshes rather than Brushes because it's easier to render. But I can't get shadows to render as nicely with gradients and all as they do with brushes. Is there a way to improve that?

Is the mesh properly UV mapped? If it isn't then the shadows will appear messy and jagged.
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

You could also try increasing the lightmap resolution... Note for BSP lower numbers = better lightmaps, for meshes it's just the opposite, the higher the number the better the quality.

BSP defaults to 32, decrease for better shadows.
      Meshes default to, I think 64, increase for better shadows.

Edit: Actually if you make a new mesh in the editor it defaults to 4 resolution. That number (which you can change in the mesh editor) is what any instance of the mesh you place in a map will default to. If you override that in the details panel for an instance of the mesh, the override number defaults to 64.
      Last edited by MoxNix; 06-22-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
        Edit: Actually if you make a new mesh in the editor it defaults to 4 resolution. That number (which you can change in the mesh editor) is what any instance of the mesh you place in a map will default to. If you override that in the details panel for an instance of the mesh, the override number defaults to 64.
        THAT WAS IT! I was trying to set the resolution in the main details panel, but once I did it in the mesh editor, it fixed everything! My whole map looks different now. You made my day!

Tidu, I just converted a brush to a mesh to test it. Since it didn't complain about wrapped UVs I assumed that it was okay.

Comment

Working...
        X