Brushes within brushes is it safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brushes within brushes is it safe?

I haven't tried but rather what I do is make everything the correct lengths as best I can and align stuff so they snug up to one another, I was curious if say I take an octagon brush and make it clip slightly within two blocks and the floor if that would cause any weird glitches, I find working with octagons a bit of a challenge to get the right shape and keep on the vertices with everything else.

Originally posted by Vertigo101 View Post
    I haven't tried but rather what I do is make everything the correct lengths as best I can and align stuff so they snug up to one another, I was curious if say I take an octagon brush and make it clip slightly within two blocks and the floor if that would cause any weird glitches, I find working with octagons a bit of a challenge to get the right shape and keep on the vertices with everything else.
    What I find myself doing is saving a copy "Save As" .... -V1, V2, ... then try out things to see if I like... that way, if I do something really dumb and crash the editor I have working back ups to fall back on!

... watch some of the basic tutorials and they pretty much seem to do it that I've noticed in checking out the Tutorials!

... but always align to the grid!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo101 View Post
      I take it by "clipping" you mean overlapping... Yeah you can do that. Check out DM-SidCastle for an example of a map that uses lots of octagon brushes overlapping other brushes.

Or you can just use the Pen tool to make octagon brushes that fit the grid perfectly.

Comment

Yep this is fine to do. But you have other options...
        BSP still has some issues, but you can do so much more than in UT3 or UDK before BSP starts getting broken.

A quick tip: (A good idea)
        • If you Convert the Octagon additive brush to a subtractive, you can Cut a piece out of the "two blocks", Then Make the additive octagon to fit in the same place

Option 2: (for fun)
        • What i would recommend is making trying the simple polygon combine tool for BSP. - i haven't used it myself but the documentation seems to indicate it should be ok. ( & the pentool has already been mentioned)
        • Editor Preferences > Allow Actor mergin

Option 3: (recommended)
        • once you have created your two blocks and octagon (using the QuickTip above), select all the brush shapes and convert to Static mesh. Then use the simple polygon tool or export it to Blender or 3DSmax
        • (then you can fix the verts and edges that are inside the blocks).

p.s. as aforemention, grid alignments help, check out my map, its 100% perfect grid for everything, but for what you want to achieve do not worry so much. Also UE4 and gridspacing is not really as relevant as it used to be (evidence taken from Hourences solus project which uses some crazy grid spacing)

OH and do not copy paste the new static mesh before saving it or editor will crash
        Last edited by TKBS; 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM.
        Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
          Option 3: (recommended)
          • once you have created your two blocks and octagon (using the QuickTip above), select all the brush shapes and convert to Static mesh. Then use the simple polygon tool or export it to Blender or 3DSmax
          • (then you can fix the verts and edges that are inside the blocks).

I agree with this method, especially if the mesh is temporary and there are many of them.

EDIT: I don't even take the time to use another program, as the editor does fine for now.
          Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

at the end of the day youre using BSP for the shell of a map, it wont be there in the final product. Practise Laambos suggestion of saving multiple copies of your map, I do the same, everytime ive mad significant chanes, or before I do something drastic I save to a new file. but bsp will serve you well, and if you encounter errors, you can usually find the source of it, sometimes all it takes is selecting that particular brush and on the edit geometry tab, selecting "triangulate" and then "optimise". this fixes a lot of problems. though ive seen myself this doesn't always work. if it doesn't, look at the shape youre trying to create and see if there is an easier way of achieving it, through clipping maybe, but can you do it with the pen tool?

Comment

Thanks all!
              I'm checking into your suggestions!

The recent editor update though has caused some grief random crashes, play test crashes and other varies crashes like copy then move a brush.

Comment

Working...
              X