Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will this trap-room cheat cause problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will this trap-room cheat cause problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPYf5nOf5k

what do you reckon experts?

To answer the question you posed in the video, no. The behind the scenes aspect is the blueprints. Seems strange to me but its likely they saved the blueprint/programming of the door into the level blueprint, which is why it works if you keep it contained within the example map, but doesn't work if you copy paste to another map. BTW. Even if you don't understand blueprints, you can still easily view the level blueprint, and also copy and paste it to another map.

Comment

These Blueprints are designed so that all you have to do to is drop them into a level and then do some minimal setup in their details panels to get them working. The button Blueprint needs to know what you want it to activate, so in its details panel there's a property where you assign the Blueprint you want the button to trigger:

The "Target Blueprints" field at the top is the key - when you duplicate the actors together in the level, that property is saved, but when you paste the actors into a different level then it gets reset.

If that field at the top is blank for you, you can use the eyedropper tool and then click the trap room in the viewport to assign it.

The reason the Blueprints are separate actors that need to be connected in this way is to give people more flexibility. In addition to being able to move and scale the button independently, you could add multiple buttons that all trigger the same trap, or you can use those same buttons to trigger a door Blueprint, and so on.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]Thomas Browett View Post
        These Blueprints are designed so that all you have to do to is drop them into a level and then do some minimal setup in their details panels to get them working. The button Blueprint needs to know what you want it to activate, so in its details panel there's a property where you assign the Blueprint you want the button to trigger:

The "Target Blueprints" field at the top is the key - when you duplicate the actors together in the level, that property is saved, but when you paste the actors into a different level then it gets reset.

If that field at the top is blank for you, you can use the eyedropper tool and then click the trap room in the viewport to assign it.

The reason the Blueprints are separate actors that need to be connected in this way is to give people more flexibility. In addition to being able to move and scale the button independently, you could add multiple buttons that all trigger the same trap, or you can use those same buttons to trigger a door Blueprint, and so on.

thanks for that Thomas, and i get WHY blueprints are seperate from what what triggers them; what i absolutely don't get is how to build them. There is absolutely NO tutorials anywhere showing the basics. So frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty View Post
          There is absolutely NO tutorials anywhere showing the basics. So frustrating.
          Here are some that I found useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32HpwHJBZP8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcEZT3-hAmk

World position for materials
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRnKO1z4WZs

Scaling materials
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkY4x3DIM2M
          Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

thanks for those, but i meant starter tutorials explaining even how to setup the most basic logic. Example:

so we have a door and a trigger. I think it is not too hard to get the absolute basic for a trigger to operate a door PLAY, but simple stuff for the logic:

IF doorclosed PLAY
            IF dooropen REVERSE(PLAY)

or a lift which has core lift travel time, wait time & retrigger time & works out of the box on those basics, but how to operate it either direction with a switch:

IF liftOrigin PLAY
            IF liftDestination REVERSE(PLAY)

just basic stuff so one can grasp the whole concept starting with simplest examples.

Comment

oh btw, can i ask another quick one here; i was making some lifts yesterday and the basic lift object in the content always loaded without the blue graphic node for 'jump-target' & i'd have to set it every time using x/y/z numbers in the details panel... is there some reason this 'jump-target' node disappears or is it a new bug? cheers

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]Thomas Browett View Post

btw Thomas. It's a shame the system cant be like Reason rack and have modules for things. So for example you are making water or flame or electricity or fog/mist or plasma or lava. You get a water/flame/electricity/fog/mist/plasma/lava module which has controls for setting the colours & other variables, then you cable it to a 'modulator' unit which has controls-pots for stuff like amplitude, frequency, wave-shape etc.

Or a lift module which has the controls for the lift parameters (size, time, destination, material, etc) then you plug that into a timer/logic controller module to do the stuff like direction, wait time, loop etc, and this has a 'arpeggiator' type control for up/down/up-down/down-up, octave(number of stops from bottom to top with 'tuning'=height of each stop/octave), and then you cable this to a 'gate-input-for-direction-trigger' (cabled to a trigger module representing a trigger in the map)... it'd be easier to use models with controls like synths/effects than cryptic boxes. Each blueprint would be connected 'racks' of modules.

So for such a system for example, your directional-light details has a 'directional-light' rack module with a small display panel in which you can see the controls working on an example object, and it has control pots for variables... in essense one then has a 'directional-light-synth'. As you adjust it's controls you see the small example-screen updating in realtime to show you what the directional-light will do in the map to objects. A lot easier than endless boxes of numbers & people could release their own 'synths' and other modular units for sale like plugins.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by nasty; 07-09-2015, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty View Post
                  oh btw, can i ask another quick one here; i was making some lifts yesterday and the basic lift object in the content always loaded without the blue graphic node for 'jump-target' & i'd have to set it every time using x/y/z numbers in the details panel... is there some reason this 'jump-target' node disappears or is it a new bug? cheers
                  I've been experiencing this bug for many months. The blue diamond destination icon will disappear for lifts, jump pads and teleporters.

Comment

The blue node should appear in place mode (shift 1) but not geometry mode (shift 5). In the past I just did everything in geometry mode until someone pointed this out. You can also shift deselect in place mode in perspective view where as in geometry mode it starts selecting faces/verts/edges of the already selected object instead.
                    Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Working...
                    X