No announcement yet.

Lea Observatory (Duel / DM Map)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Lea Observatory (Duel / DM Map)

Lea Observatory (Duel / DM Map)

Update: 2015-08-14 - Updated experimental version.

This Map is on the Unreal Tournament Marketplace!
    For the latest, stable version of Lea, you can get this map on the Unreal Tournament Marketplace via the Epic Games Launcher

Download:
    Experimental Version: Lea Optimized & Upscaled (2015-08-14)

Official Description:
    Lea is a deathmatch map that is ideally suited for 2-4 players. Its compact layout and use of advanced movement systems make for competitive Duel matches and intense Deathmatch gameplay. This map is based on a design by Cedric "HTK" Morouvin.

Located in the constellation Lyra, about 1,200 light years from Earth and orbiting Kepler-62, lies the blue gem known as Lea. Though tropical storms often rage on the surface, interesting aquatic life has been discovered in the depths of Lea's oceans. Pure laps, backed by funding from the Liandri Corporation, built this deep sea observatory that doubles as an Arena for the Grand Tournament.

Info:

A remake of the popular UT2004 map called DM-Lea by Cedric "HTK" Morouvin. This version is based off the UT3 version of Lea, which I created in 2010. This version aims to be a completely different looking map, with very sci fi, somewhat reflective metals to take advantage of UE4’s new features, and also to test my abilities to create a great looking map that also has great gameplay.

Now that Lea has been on the marketplace for many months, I figured it was time to start a brand new thread. The old one has too much discussion concerning Alpha and Beta related stuff. This thread will be concerning the current version of Lea that's on the marketplace and versions with experimental changes.

I have been occasionally updating Lea with improvements, tweaks, etc. I have a new version of Lea that has drastic performance improvements, as well as gameplay improvements. I would like some feedback before it's officially submitted so that I can squash any bugs.

Changelog:

(2015-08-14)
    • Changed scale to 4% instead of 4.5%.
    • Fixed a few collision issues.

(2015-08-12)
    Performance Improvements:
    • Converted all nonessential blueprints to static meshes, reducing max drawcalls by thousands.
    • Combined many similar meshes and split them into groups, reducing max draw calls by thousands.
    • Converted all BSP floors into static meshes, which offers a slight performance boost and is also visually better looking in some areas (smooth ramps).

Gameplay Improvements:
    • Scaled map 4.5% larger using Rattlesnake's awesome mapscaler blueprint script.
    • Changed windows from physical window shutters, to a force field material to help with visibility. Will promote more strategic fighting through windows.
    • Removed collision on most meshes, which will result in more reliable projectile collision and ricochet.
    • Made most windows taller, and moved them down slightly so that it's easier to fire through at eye level.
    • Enlarged biorifle room, and the doorway that interconnects the center of the map. 2k4 players should approve.
    • Removed a healthpack near vest armor to help prevent in control player from having a bit of extra health.
    • Changed helmet near sniper into a thighpad per request.

Visual Improvements:
    • Increased brightness/contrast of post process volume so the map is brighter on high graphics.
    • Increased roughness of floor puddle decals to make the reflectivity less distracting.

For all previous changes concerning Alpha and Beta versions of Lea, visit this thread.

Music:
    Community Member nonemm from #beyondunreal IRC channel on global gamers was kind enough to make custom music for my map! It sounds really great. Check it out!
    https://soundcloud.com/fjcomposer/dmlea

Copyright: Nonemm (2014). You are *NOT* allowed to use this song in other maps, projects, for personal or commercial use. If you would like to use this song in your own map, please ask nonemm for permission to use this song. You can find him in the #beyondunreal IRC channel on irc.globalgamers.net

Credits:
    • Epic for map feedback, polish, and much more.
    • MasterG for helping me with texturing, materials and certain 3d modeling techniques. Also, feedback.
    • Nonnem for the custom song! Check out his song here.
    • Satan’s Father for helping me setup UE4 from github.
    • Raxxy for all help concerning alpha and beta development of Lea and also help with engine related things.
    • Dr.ToxicVenom for gameplay and art direction advice.
    • Steve (Elude) for rock meshes in watery environment.
    • Irridium77 - maya related advice.
    • NATO - Map advice
    • nickpfisterer - Blueprint tips
    • vertigoo0 - huge maya tips and all around awesome d00d
    • signod from #unrealengine on irc.freenode.net - blueprint macro tips
    • legiion aka Mancat - blueprint macro tips
    • Zixxer - Great UE4 ideas
    • raste - help with lighting, cast shadows, etc. Awesome d00d!
    • Rattlesnake - for creating the super awesome mapscaler blueprint used for scaling this map larger.

Obsolete Download:
    OBSOLETE!! Experimental Version: Lea Optimized & Upscaled (2015-08-12)
    -CaptainMigraine (Neil)
    Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 08-14-2015, 02:43 AM.

• replied
    Well is it possible to get this map for offline lan Play ?! try to Play but it works only online ;(

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is the map updated (to the new scale) now?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So what youre saying is that you can't quite get it back to the original version that was created for the old scaling? I know certain jumps would be hard or impossible to land with a general 15% scale increase, but I figure that if little tweaks were done to put a band-aid over those and make them possible again, then things would work out.

But if you say it looks gigantic, then I believe you. Scaling is a hard thing, and if you say it can't quite be brought back to the original "feel" without starting from scratch, then i believe you.

Do we have the 4.5% scaled up version in the game now? Or is that sitting on your computer only?

Oh yeah and come back to UT and finish Deep plzzzzzz. Lea and Deep are good maps that just need to be tweaked to perfection so they can be as popular as ASDF and Erase!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but since the 15% scale increase, I feel like Lea is just really cramped. I'm not necessarily bumping my head on things where I shouldn't be, but it just doesn't look right to my eyes. I vote that Lea should be given at least a +15% scale increase, with attention given to any jumps that might break in the process. I think it will help the map's popularity in the duel scene.

The map has a handful of problems, including the ambient sound being WAY too loud, and the fact that everything is way too blue to properly see enemy characters everywhere. But I think scaling the map up a little would be a good place to start.
    Hey.

Since the 15% player scale increase, I have scaled the map up 4.5% (if I recall correctly). I tested a 5% scale and the map started appearing gigantic sized. Certain jumps became difficult to land. Original Lea from 2k4 is very much a product of 2k4 with dodge jump. If I were to scale the map up to even half of that of 2k4, the map would effectively break due to the lack of dodge jump. So, the overall feeling of cramptness is due to 2 things now, as opposed to it originally being only 1 thing. First, the map is made to fit UT4's movement style, which is more similar to UT3's playstyle than 2k4's. Second, the player scale increase has permanently scarred this map. Unfortunately, making a map during the prealpha has its cons, and this is one of them.

As for the sound - I should look into that. It's something I keep forgetting to tinker with. The infamous blue color of the map has also been a thorn in my side. I might experiment with depth based material changes. In other words, objects closer to the camera will be more detailed, and objects further away will be more muted. This should achieve a desired effect of making blue player easier to see at long distances, but reduce the global quality of the map. Experimentation is needed. It'll be a while until I get around to this.

Originally posted by nes710
    The floor textures and wall textures need to vary more in color. It gives me a headache when I play it.
    My response to erik might help with this. No guarantees tho.

-Neil (CaptainMigraine)
    Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 07-10-2016, 04:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The floor textures and wall textures need to vary more in color. It gives me a headache when I play it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know about anyone else, but since the 15% scale increase, I feel like Lea is just really cramped. I'm not necessarily bumping my head on things where I shouldn't be, but it just doesn't look right to my eyes. I vote that Lea should be given at least a +15% scale increase, with attention given to any jumps that might break in the process. I think it will help the map's popularity in the duel scene.

The map has a handful of problems, including the ambient sound being WAY too loud, and the fact that everything is way too blue to properly see enemy characters everywhere. But I think scaling the map up a little would be a good place to start.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    idk if this happens only to me, but bots tends to stuck in the place where the sniper rifle is without the ability to move, like here

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im having huge visibility problems on this map. I feel at a big disadvantage if my opponent is on the blue team. Probably because the materials have to much contrast and things going on.

If you where to edit your materials so that the darkest darks where not as dark then I think it would greatly improve visibility

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interested to see how the removal of a 25 will pan out. Might be worth adding an extra vial to the corridor to slightly counterbalance the change.

You could always go for a dm-reconstruct (2k4 map with self building bridges) window style where the windows become solid only when a player is near them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Marscaleb View Post
    Honest question here:
    Is it okay if I use some of the assets created for this map in a different map I am creating?
    I reckon it wouldn't be fair for me to charge anything for it on the marketplace when my map is finished, so I'm not going in that direction. But my artistic talent is basically limited to using assets other folks have made. And this map has some pretty assets.
    So I'd like to use some of the assets in my own map if that's allowed.

Also, where can I even find this map in the editor? I have it "purchased" from the marketplace, so I can see it when I play the game, but I don't know what folder to look in to see the map itself.
    Even if I'm not allowed to use the assets from the map, I'd still like to examine the map in the editor so I can see how it was constructed and learn from it.
    Hello Marscaleb, I'm currently working on the Lea Mesh pack right now. I'm optimizing, adding new assets, and ensuring everything is in working order. I am going to be submitting it to the marketplace. You'll be able to get it from there once it becomes available and you'll be able to build your own map with those assets.

I'm not sure yet if I will make the uncooked version of Lea available, since the mesh pack is now separate from the map. I might just include Lea and all of those assets as a separate zip file. I expect the mesh pack will be ready in about 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for letting me know you'd like to use the assets.

If you'd like to see my progress - view my twitch stream. http://www.twitch.tv/captainmigraine
    Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 08-16-2015, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Honest question here:
    Is it okay if I use some of the assets created for this map in a different map I am creating?
    I reckon it wouldn't be fair for me to charge anything for it on the marketplace when my map is finished, so I'm not going in that direction. But my artistic talent is basically limited to using assets other folks have made. And this map has some pretty assets.
    So I'd like to use some of the assets in my own map if that's allowed.

Also, where can I even find this map in the editor? I have it "purchased" from the marketplace, so I can see it when I play the game, but I don't know what folder to look in to see the map itself.
    Even if I'm not allowed to use the assets from the map, I'd still like to examine the map in the editor so I can see how it was constructed and learn from it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome, thanks for the info, much appreciated. And keep up the great work man, looking forward to seeing more work from you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xelus View Post
    Hey Captain,

Fantastic map, used to play the original one back in the day, and may I say, I gave your map a shot, and love it to bits. I'm a sucker for sci-fi clean environments. :P

That being said, just have a quick question regarding sharing the level. How exactly did you go about in sharing your map? I mean, do you use the in-editor "Share Level" function, or do you share the level the old school way by archiving it and uploading it to a sharing website. Reason I'm asking is, I've been working on a level for a few weeks now, and I'm keen on sharing the first public version of it, but not too sure which way should I preferably use to share the in-development build level.

Keep up the great work!
    Hey, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it.

For my experimental version, I just clicked share. Then once it's finished cooking, it asks to upload it somewhere--I choose no. Then I locate the .pak file on my harddrive and upload it to dropbox for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Captain,

Fantastic map, used to play the original one back in the day, and may I say, I gave your map a shot, and love it to bits. I'm a sucker for sci-fi clean environments. :P

That being said, just have a quick question regarding sharing the level. How exactly did you go about in sharing your map? I mean, do you use the in-editor "Share Level" function, or do you share the level the old school way by archiving it and uploading it to a sharing website. Reason I'm asking is, I've been working on a level for a few weeks now, and I'm keen on sharing the first public version of it, but not too sure which way should I preferably use to share the in-development build level.

Keep up the great work!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X