Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Curse][ (Absolute)

My take on a DM-Curse][ port from UT99.

I haven't done a final lighting pass yet. Can't until I get some meshes in there.

Please feel free to put it on your server.
    PAK:
    https://ut.rushbase.net/trinatek/DM-...wsNoEditor.pak

[Screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/7kZwHA8.png[/Screenshot][Screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/BEDM35g.png[/Screenshot]
    [Screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/R3vtlrF.png[/Screenshot][Screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/kZC1rUF.png[/Screenshot]
    [Screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/Xh79rDe.png[/Screenshot]

I'll keep this thread updated if/when I make any changes in the future.

UPDATE (January 1, 2015): Fixed the lighting for visibility with the current build.
    Last edited by Trinatek; 01-02-2016, 09:34 PM.
    ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
    CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
    , Twitch

A lot of people hate on this map but personally this is one of my all time favorites. Looks like another solid remake so far btw, so good job! Textures look pretty awesome as well.

Comment

It's one of the old classics and a good port. Textures are the old ones but seem sharper and look good, I'm guessing you used the S3TC hires textures?

BTW for the invisible wall at shield, just make a square brush, align the material with the walls, convert to static mesh and turn off collision. The amp (helmet) room triggered door is a little more complicated, that'll require some blueprinting.

Edit: I don't care for the item placement changes. Helmet instead of amp and swapping bio / flak locations.
      Last edited by MoxNix; 08-28-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
        It's one of the old classics and a good port. Textures are the old ones but seem sharper and look good, I'm guessing you used the S3TC hires textures?
        Custom materials, adjusted, edited and sliced around to try and match the original textures as closely as possible. There are some place-holder textures in there still like the wood plank ones which currently look really plastic-y as well as the cement one, which at the moment doesn't fit in with the rest of the map very well.

Edit: Oh, and the main brick texture needs a bit of tweaking still as it looks like absolute **** at some angles.
        Edit 2: Also, haven't done the invisi-walls yet, though I'm not sure if I'll want to anyway.
        Last edited by Trinatek; 08-28-2015, 04:36 PM.
        , Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
          Edit: I don't care for the item placement changes. Helmet instead of amp and swapping bio / flak locations.
          In regards to the item placement changes.

In the original, the ripper was where I have flak now at the end of that long hallway. As I found myself short a weapon, I replaced the ripper with said flak - also considering that the long hallway would need a powerful weapon to travel down (bio to replace ripper would not have been ideal because you then would be attempting to take on minigun & link with only a biorifle - and say you made it only half way down the hallway when suddenly they pop up out of nowhere and you're now trying to backpedal down the longest hallway in that map - you'd have no hope; I think flak vs minigun & link balances pretty well in a long hallway like that).

In UT99, bio was located at the bottom of the lift going up to shock rifle (where there are the vials) and felt "hidden" in a way - but more importantly, it extremely annoying to get to. There's no reason for bio to be so difficult to get in UT4. So I felt completely comfortable in putting bio where the original flak was, which plays out nicely in my opinion and since having two Flak locations would be silly.

In regards to the helmet. Yes, amp typically was in that hidden room. At the moment however, it's not hidden so I placed a helmet there. A helmet partly due to the ease-of-access, as well as because heading from that direction towards sniper then means if you run into someone who already has a sniper, it'll protect you from getting headshot right as you round that corner. The helmet being there I may very well change - could get rid of that "hidden" room completely.

Also, I placed the vest up top in the hidden room above the beams. So then what you end up with is belt on one end of the map and on the other end, all the armor pieces - which sounds a little bit odd of a design choice but the design choice has played out pretty well from when the map was getting a lot of play time in my older server (now a hub).

In addition to that, I did add more ammo pickups (especially due to shock rifle ammo recently being reduced) as well as a couple extra vials. Also, I changed around the spawns a lot as a lot of the old spawns were extremely shotty.

A direct 1:1 port I've found just doesn't play well in UT4. I made similar changes with my port of DM-StalwartXL as well. Things from weapon placement to item placement, to spawn placement, to scale of the map all needs to be slightly adjusted to better fit UT4, I think. Otherwise, you have a map that doesn't play well and only exists for the occasional nostalgia.
          Last edited by Trinatek; 08-29-2015, 05:58 AM.
          , Twitch

Comment

Neat, I will test it for sure !
            Marcadet, secretary for the French association Lorraine Esport

Comment

Ah right... I forgot about the ripper in the 99 version. It's the 2k4 version that has the bio down there, flak was in the same spot in both 99 and 2k4... Where you have bio now.

Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer flak there and bio where ripper used to be.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 08-28-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Good stuff Trin . Added to hub, thx for heads up on lighting!

Comment

Originally posted by RCM-Creations View Post
                  A lot of people hate on this map but personally this is one of my all time favorites. Looks like another solid remake so far btw, so good job! Textures look pretty awesome as well.
                  I hear that.. I LOVE this map, always have. Its nice and tight, small corridors.. so many laughs and great hours spent in this map when I was hardcore into 99.

Glad to see it come back! I especially loved instagibbing in this map.
                  IGN: Xannen

Specs: 2600k@4.6, Gigabute Z68XP-UD4 Mobo, 8gb Patriot Viper DDR3, Samsung Evo 250GB SSD, Corsair HX1050 PSU, Zotac 980ti, TT Core V31

Comment

So when you going to do a lighting pass?

I bet it'd get played a lot more if it wasn't so dark.

Comment

Yep, waiting for progess on this map too....
                      As i meet Trinatek from time to time on the server, i know he is out there

Comment

Nice remake, Locked & loaded on the LoPing Arena server, TY.

Comment

Bump. Finally updated the lighting for current build after a couple people asked for me to. Map was previously too dark to see in after a change in the game build. Visibility should no longer be an issue.

Should be good for the next build early January too.
                          , Twitch

Comment

thanks trinatek!

will take this new version in some game testing

OOPS: rushbase error:
                            file not found ...

Did you already upload it?
                            Last edited by Mr Van; 01-02-2016, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                              thanks trinatek!

will take this new version in some game testing

OOPS: rushbase error:
                              file not found ...

Did you already upload it?
                              Whoops. Sorry.
                              It was the right URL, but the hyperlink attached to the link was still the old one (if that makes any sense) lol. Should be good now.

It pretty much is just like how it was before. Not much other progress. Just with lighting that will (for now) work better than the previous build. It's a temporary solution til I can add some simple meshes (like torches) and do a proper lighting pass. Right now it's mostly green, blue, and orange, yellow lighting.
                              , Twitch

Comment

Working...
                              X