Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-SkyEngine

Hi everyone!

I want to share with you all a map I've been working on for quite awhile. CTF-SkyEngine is a fairly small and simple map with a focus on vertical gameplay.
    There are several large pistons in the center that go up and down. These pistons act as both moving cover and elevators that propel you up to grab weapons hanging from the ceiling.
    The meshes you see are mostly proxies, which I plan to replace in the future after I improve the layout. So I would very much appreciate any feedback to help me make it better!

Current version: WIP-03

Download here: https://ut.rushbase.net/hanwaylin/CTF-SkyEngine
    (Put map in C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks)

Tips and tricks:
    • U Damage is under the big reactor in the center!
    • You can slope-jump off the railings and crouch-slide under the small generators.
    • There are hidden powerups (Berserk) in hard to reach places.
    • The Link Gun and Biorifle in the flag room lets you set up defense.

Changelog:

WIP-02
    • Fixed bullet collision with meshes, most noticeably the Flak Cannon (Bullets were colliding with geometry instead of volumes, changing collision complexity to "Use simple collision as complex" fixed it).
    • Simplified the tunnels connecting flag room to piston room, also added arrows to show which way to go.
    • More contrast in lighting.
    • Improved FPS!

WIP-03
    • Fixed broken pistons (Still needs testing).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hyper2Armor; 09-18-2015, 09:30 PM.
    Email: hanwaylin@gmail.com
    Maps: DM-Hollow (WIP)

Looks nice!
    Last edited by effects69; 09-07-2015, 02:21 AM.
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

This map looks fantastic, but I think you really ought to consider simplifying some of the surfaces. Particularly the floors. You've got a very baroque theme going on, and while that's cool, you should try to balance out the density with some cleaner spaces as well.
      Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
      Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
      Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
        This map looks fantastic, but I think you really ought to consider simplifying some of the surfaces. Particularly the floors. You've got a very baroque theme going on, and while that's cool, you should try to balance out the density with some cleaner spaces as well.
        Thanks Wail! I agree it does look too busy. I need to have better grouping of my detail and rest areas.

Comment

Looking dope man, one trick you can do to help the clarity is to make the floor textures/materials lighter/brighter than the walls, it will help you read the shapes that you need to go. As for visual clarity, you can have lots of detail, but contrasting details with high frequency of noise cause the most issues, if you blend the colors closer together you can still get away with fine details. Anyway, looks like a unique style, keep it up!

Additionally, you can use spotlights to draw the players eye to certain things, in this type of map you want to use it to help show where you can go, right now, in the piston room my eye is drawn to the brightest thing, which seems like a prop, The more detail in the textures you have, the more critical it is to have lighting do the work for reading shapes / where to go, so, game play lighting first, then accent lighting.
          Last edited by Chris.Kay; 09-07-2015, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Wow, this map came out of nowhere already meshed up haha. Nice work ! The screenshots look interesting and I agree with Wail: it's looking a bit too busy in a UT3 style. In my map I try to put large flat panels and focus the details around them so it doesn't look too busy.

GJ man, I will download it and test it

EDIT:

I tested it, and you really need to put blocking volumes on the stairs (check with the flak). Also the tubes that connect the flag rooms to the pistons room are quite hard to navigate in... maybe there could be a better lighting.
            Last edited by Raste; 09-07-2015, 05:34 AM.
            RASTE IN PEACE !
            Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
            Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]Chris.Kay View Post
              Looking dope man, one trick you can do to help the clarity is to make the floor textures/materials lighter/brighter than the walls, it will help you read the shapes that you need to go. As for visual clarity, you can have lots of detail, but contrasting details with high frequency of noise cause the most issues, if you blend the colors closer together you can still get away with fine details. Anyway, looks like a unique style, keep it up!

Additionally, you can use spotlights to draw the players eye to certain things, in this type of map you want to use it to help show where you can go, right now, in the piston room my eye is drawn to the brightest thing, which seems like a prop, The more detail in the textures you have, the more critical it is to have lighting do the work for reading shapes / where to go, so, game play lighting first, then accent lighting.
              Thank you so much for the critique Chris! I have an artistic background but I want to be a level designer, so I really appreciate tips like these.
              Also, thank you Raste for playing the map! I'll be sure to fix those up.

Comment

Wow, this came out of nowhere. 90MB too! It looks great, you must have put a lot of work into those meshes. I like the pistons, it's a fun idea. Performance for me wasn't that great... I only have a GTX 960 but the map runs worse than Outpost. There are a LOT of reflective materials which could be contributing to the low performance. But then again you can only do so much when there's only one big room. I think the lighting is a bit flat too, you could make it look like the light is coming in from the windows/ceiling but still keep the lower areas properly lit. I totally understand it's still a WIP! Good luck I'm excited to see how this will turn out!
                DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                  Wow, this came out of nowhere. 90MB too! It looks great, you must have put a lot of work into those meshes. I like the pistons, it's a fun idea. Performance for me wasn't that great... I only have a GTX 960 but the map runs worse than Outpost. There are a LOT of reflective materials which could be contributing to the low performance. But then again you can only do so much when there's only one big room. I think the lighting is a bit flat too, you could make it look like the light is coming in from the windows/ceiling but still keep the lower areas properly lit. I totally understand it's still a WIP! Good luck I'm excited to see how this will turn out!
                  Thanks for playing tidu! I wonder why the performance is low. All my meshes are low poly and share 1 material, so I assume it can be run even on low-end systems. I'll look into that.

Comment

Hi, GJ there for sure. Othere than comments above I find it a little bit bothering that I have to struggle to get into tubes when I go from the piston room.

Also I play on quite low-end laptop, 2,4 Ghz Pentium Dual, AMD 8750M and yet it plays very well without bots on low details (as I always play) so no problem performance-wise. Outpost is like million times worse.

Keep it up!

Comment

Nice work so far! I tested it out online and the jump pistons are broken. Its really hard to get onto the piston and then when it goes up, your player seems to skip about 3/4 of the way up, then next thing I know I am on the ground. I am not sure how you are trying to launch the players on the pistons, but right now its broken. Otherwise great job so far!
                      PayBack
                      Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                      Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                      UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                      UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                        Nice work so far! I tested it out online and the jump pistons are broken. Its really hard to get onto the piston and then when it goes up, your player seems to skip about 3/4 of the way up, then next thing I know I am on the ground. I am not sure how you are trying to launch the players on the pistons, but right now its broken. Otherwise great job so far!
                        Thanks for testing -jay-! That's a weird one, I never experienced that in my own testing, but I'll look into it. A new build will be up soon, lets see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanway Lin View Post
                          Thanks for testing -jay-! That's a weird one, I never experienced that in my own testing, but I'll look into it. A new build will be up soon, lets see if that makes a difference.
                          Were you running it on a dedicated server or did you just start a server on your home machine? Also what is launching the players? Are you using triggers and velocity sets or is just the momentum generated by the piston itself? If you wanna check it out for yourself, its currently hosted on my server. "Violent Pacification iCTF Chicago". Only 6 Maps or so on the server, so just join, start a match, quit and the map will cycle to the next one in 5-10 seconds.
                          PayBack
                          Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                          UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                          UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

I think blueprints need to be properly handled by the server and synchronized with all clients. Take a look at this thread on replication and see if it applies to your pistons. Additionally, the code behind the UTGenericLift object should implement something similar.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...nt-Replication
                            DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                              I think blueprints need to be properly handled by the server and synchronized with all clients. Take a look at this thread on replication and see if it applies to your pistons. Additionally, the code behind the UTGenericLift object should implement something similar.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...nt-Replication
                              if the BP is implemented in the map blue prints, then it shouldnt be an issue. The only time you need to worry about BPs being distributed and synchronized with clients is if its a blueprint for like a game mutator.
                              PayBack

Comment

Working...
                              X