Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Temple of the Sun

Hi All.

As I said in general thread, I decided to take a break from Plunge (which will come, eventually, once I'll have more time) and focus on a map I wanted to do a long time ago.
    For the time being I named it Temple of the Sun, but I do realize that some people may confuse it with Sun Temple from UT2004, so I may change it in the future. It's still in very early stages, and there's few things I'm not sure about (e.g. fountains, pool, overall weapon and health placement), but I decided to share it, so that maybe someone will give me a hint how can I improve it/what needs to be changed.
    For reasons unknown to me, after small changes the size of the map has risen yesterday from about 40MB to over 110
    Also, the music is taken from Sun Temple, from UT2004 (I'm not sure if I can actually use it, I hope I won't get into any trouble).
    Oh, and these statues are in there temporarily, I've taken them from CTF-TitanPass, they don't really feel like they should be there, I'll change it as soon as I'll come up with something better.

Feel free to download it and comment

Link1 (Google Drive): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...m14TjN3cXE2SjQ
    Link2 (Rushbase): https://ut.rushbase.net/jonzie23/DM%...of%20the%20Sun

Small Update (17/09/2015):
    Just trying few things before the weekend. Hopefully will get some feedback and see if I'm heading in the right direction. I'm not 100% happy with everything (e.g. roof over fountain), and just tried to add some new moves and surprises. I won't say anything, will leave it for everyone interested to uncover by himself. Best played with bots on at least Skilled lvl
    Oh, and size came back to normal. It's just under 50MB again O.o

Attached Files
    Last edited by jonzie23; 10-06-2015, 07:49 AM.
    DM-Temple of the Sun

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

I dig the theme! Also, not sure about this, but shouldn't you list the version after the map name, not after the WindowsNoEditor part? Do you need to rename/repackage/re-do versioning before this can work?

Comment

Looks excellent! Good work, ill download it today and test it out.
      Join the community Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Oh wow this looks so good already

Unfortunately, I can't play the map. Did you rename the PAK? It's silly, but that stops the file from working. Could you either give the original name, as it came out of UnrealEd, or make a new PAK?

Comment

Yes new Pak please i have the Map not in my list

Comment

Apologies for the wrong file name, it's fixed now.

I also made small update to the lighting, expanded inside section and changed the music.
            I gave a thought to weapon placement and with next update will definitely change it. I have few ideas that will help me to include armor into the map (now it's pretty random, for the sake of being there), and reduce the time that player spend without weapon when respawn.

Attached Files
            DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Just gave it a quick spin, you've improved much since Plunge-1.5! I'm honestly impressed.

The scaling feels ok, very nice theme. Good balance of open and enclosed areas. With bots I think there is too much focus on the central area, which makes gameplay not very compelling. I'm not sure if this is because the AI, or will happen with real players as well. Either way, maybe you could ad more incentive to explore the outer area. The short lifts are a bit awkward, but the liftjump to Rocket Launcher balconies they provide makes it a nice feature.

Keep it up!

Oh, and regarding the music (One of the best of UT2004!)... I believe legaly the music and your map are both property of Epic. So no harm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Basalt View Post
                With bots I think there is too much focus on the central area, which makes gameplay not very compelling. I'm not sure if this is because the AI, or will happen with real players as well.
                Best way to change that is to put more spawns further away from that zone. Bots give a pretty good indication of the natural flow of your map. If there are too many bots in the same location, it means either the spawns or the items are not right
                RASTE IN PEACE !
                Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                  Looks excellent! Good work, ill download it today and test it out.
                  Thank you, looking forward to hear from you

Just gave it a quick spin, you've improved much since Plunge-1.5! I'm honestly impressed.
                  Thanks. Now, looking at it from the perspective I don't think that it was the best idea to take Plunge for my first map. But don't worry, it'll come out sooner than you think, I listened to your suggestions, and will revert to my original concept, making it a little bit more like a platform/futuristic oil rig, but also taking into consideration DM-Helium 3 concept (which I love!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwy_D2Jbn2c
                  Following this logic, my next map should be awesome! (and I really wanted to do Tokara Forest in UT4, but time will tell)

With bots I think there is too much focus on the central area, which makes gameplay not very compelling.
                  Originally posted by Raste View Post
                  Best way to change that is to put more spawns further away from that zone. Bots give a pretty good indication of the natural flow of your map. If there are too many bots in the same location, it means either the spawns or the items are not right
                  Yeah, the middle section is getting crowdy, that's why I call this map bloodbath I think it's because of not really good weapon/item placement at the moment. As I mentioned before, that will be dealt with in the next build. I already have some ideas, just need to test them first
                  Last edited by jonzie23; 09-13-2015, 05:27 PM.
                  DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Thanks jonzie! The map is now playable in Seniors Nirvana .sr [Dallas] hub.

Comment

This map looks like it has loads of promise. Keep it up man!
                      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Looks great so far!

Must admit to preferring the original light scheme though - much warmer, sunnier & fits more with the map name.

Comment

Originally posted by jonzie23 View Post
                          I gave a thought to weapon placement and with next update will definitely change it. I have few ideas that will help me to include armor into the map (now it's pretty random, for the sake of being there), and reduce the time that player spend without weapon when respawn.
                          This was what I was going to comment on, so I'm glad to see you're already working on it. Maybe bring the rocket closer to the action? Where it is now is more fitting for armor. I love where the double damage is though, it's great diving under the wall to grab it.

Looking good so far
                          DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Thank you for all of your comments. As soon as I'll have time I'll post an improved version online, with weapon and item placement changed, and added BSPs here and there

Originally posted by the_ROCK View Post
                            Thanks jonzie! The map is now playable in Seniors Nirvana .sr [Dallas] hub.
                            I appreciate that. I had a chance to test it yesterday with some random person. I didn't even realize that this map has duel potential in it (2v2 should be fun too, I assume), lol...
                            It was actually fun until 6 - 6 (I even started to think that I'm good at this game), then I went berserker, killed myself twice and my *** was handed to me. Changes are needed :/

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
                            Looks great so far!

Must admit to preferring the original light scheme though - much warmer, sunnier & fits more with the map name.
                            I'll keep it as it is for the time being, because I wanted to add this alien feel to it, as if it's not from our planet (it has blueish filter applied). It's all achieved with simple Post Process, so it's really easy to change in the future, no worries, I'm sure I'll play with it a lot.
                            DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Oh, is there a way for the player to adjust the music volume? I tried to adjust it and it stayed at the same music volume. I could just be missing something

Comment

Working...
                              X