CTF-Turnip - build B 10/10/15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Turnip - build B 10/10/15

Update B- Hey team, I took a lot of your feedback and made some pretty drastic changes. Here's a short list:
    • Added more castle structures, notably the front entrance to the base as well as a tower outside each base.
    • Added a cave area outside the front of the base. The flak is now in this cave. Bio is placed in the flak's original location
    • Changed the ground texture to a lighter dirt/sand material that contrasts better with the surrounding rock
    • Lots of work on collision, the map is a lot more efficient now with bots
    • Re-did the tunnel area, tunnels are team-color themed
    • Added a ramp down to the rocket area
    • Added more team identification overall

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I still consider this in the block-out planning stage. I'm looking forward to feedback on changes and the map in general, plus I'd like to get a few games in online. Thanks for checking it out!

Download: CTF-Turnip_B [35.2 MB]

Here's a small symmetrical CTF map I threw together. I wanted to experiment with the Outside assets as well as practice creating terrain in Blender and importing it as a static mesh. It's a little rough in its current state. There will be a collision snag here or there plus some tiny holes in the geometry. I am mainly looking for feedback on the scale and layout. A map like this is much harder to drastically change compared to BSP so I'd like to get the basic geometry nailed down pretty early. The rocks and stuff are the result of very quick placement and nothing is near final. I think it looks good at this early stage but that's mainly a testament to the great assets made by the dev team.

Give it a go and let me know what you think
    Last edited by tidu; 10-10-2015, 01:53 PM.
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

It's not a bad map, bots are actually smart enough to attack the base, and it looks good.

My complaint is that it's easy to get turned around trying to get to the blue base, not enough blue insignia from what I found, but that's just me.

Turnip's fun and fast, unlike the real life turnip. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by SX View Post
      It's not a bad map, bots are actually smart enough to attack the base, and it looks good.

My complaint is that it's easy to get turned around trying to get to the blue base, not enough blue insignia from what I found, but that's just me.

Turnip's fun and fast, unlike the real life turnip. Lol
      Thanks for testing it out, SX. That's a good point about the team colors. The blue flag in the center is in the shadows and besides that there aren't many team indications. I'll improve that in the next build. I found that the bots were a little overzealous attacking the base: I respawned in my base and saw two enemies just standing on the flag pad staring at each other, waiting for my flag to be dropped and returned. Thanks again!
      DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

I havent played the map, from the pictures it looks like a good start. Has a very UT2K4 look to it. Im sure you are still working on it, but visually it looks empty. All one color, stone. Its a great rebuild of a desert rocky area, kinda reminds me of a Mars scene. Keep it up, cant wait to see this one get finished. Ill throw it on my server tonight.
        PayBack
        Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
        Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
        UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
        UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

looks pretty good so far. i am curious to see how it evolves.
          PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Comment

I played the map and wanted to give my feedback, but everything is pretty much mentioned before. The map plays really well. I think the geometry has the right proportions, weapon placement felt o.k. The one weakness is the team indicators. I had no idea where to go 80% of the time. You could use the team chevrons. They look good, easy to plonk down and make it very clear for the player where to go.

I really love the way the central area looks, good lighting/proportions.

Comment

I like the rocky landscape, looks good
              sorry for my bad English

My YouTube-Channel: - | My maps:
              https://goo.gl/1VuPw0 -| DM-CASA - DM-Lost Woods -

Comment

Thanks for the comments I'll definitely be adding more red/blue indications and some more castle wall to make navigation easier.

jay made the comment about the color. It's true it was pretty much one color. I chose a lighter ground texture, and I'm planning on using darker castle walls. Here's an example on inside the base:
                This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Thanks for the interest everyone!
                DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Looks good tidu, I like the minimalistic theme you got going on (desolate but pretty colors). Did the guys who run the PUG's get a chance to play this one? I'd think this map would have pretty good performance considering the poly count from the screenshots. This map also reminds me a bit of Gooba's desert themed map.
                  Last edited by Quadj130; 10-03-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadj130 View Post
                    Looks good tidu, I like the minimalistic theme you got going on (desolate but pretty colors). Did the guys who run the PUG's get a chance to play this one? I'd think this map would have pretty good performance considering the poly count from the screenshots. This map also reminds me a bit of Gooba's desert themed map.
                    Thanks for the comments Quad. I'm not sure how they add maps to the pool for PUGs, maybe it's just based on general interest. That's definitely one way to get your map thoroughly examined!

I just updated the second build, download link is in the first post
                    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                      Thanks for the comments I'll definitely be adding more red/blue indications and some more castle wall to make navigation easier.

jay made the comment about the color. It's true it was pretty much one color. I chose a lighter ground texture, and I'm planning on using darker castle walls. Here's an example on inside the base:
                      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Thanks for the interest everyone!
                      I'm REALLY liking the look in that pic tidu. Nice work!
                      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Thanks M^uL

I'm kicking myself for not realizing this before I uploaded yesterday's build... but the rocks have the wrong textures/normals for their respective meshes. I fixed all of that and added a bit of green while I was at it. Added some blue to the sky for some more contrast. Here's an update of sorts to that last screenshot:

DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Looking good Tidu!

My advice would be either lose the mossy rocks or keep them to a focal point of the map which has an oasis or some kind of water source. I think the level would look better going all out on the harsh, dry, desert theme which the red rocks and sand go well with. Will download and have a run around when I get time, keep it up.
                          UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                          Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Thanks Totes, I'll consider it. I like adding color where I can, but there's definitely opportunity to create a good ambiance with the dry, barren environment. I worked a bit more with some water and a more oasis theme near the middle of the map, screenshot attached.

One possibility a will explore: making one side of the map barren- the red team side could be dry and arid while blue team would have more water and greenery.

Attached Files
                            DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

When come Turnip c?

Comment

Working...
                              X