• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PROTOTYPE] DM-Pit

Video

Final images

Spoiler

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to level editing/design. I like the unreal tournament series, used to play them a lot with my dad when I was younger.
    Recently discovered Unreal Tournament 4 and it's editor. I took the time to get into using the editor. It's quite a lot of fun.
    I'm prototyping a level. It's the first level I'm creating.

It's called DM-Pit. It's an arena level. I'd like to think that it was built to serve as entertainment for the richer people in the universe.
    This week a second idea popped in my mind. And it actually could be like a gladiator arena. With chambers that used to hold beasts and places where weapons used to be stored, waiting rooms etc.
    Kind of a gladiator pit but for in the future. It's supposed to be a fairly small level. So around 2-4 players I think.

Someone told me I should try to create a story around my map. I find this very hard. I like to think of my map as some kind of battleground, maybe even like a facility placed somewhere to server as a bunker/storage room for a war or something.

Level Blockout
    I created a level blockout. Here are some pictures. Feedback and critique is always appreciated. You can find a link to the map below.
    I posted some pictures in an Imgur album. Don't wanna post them here since they clutter up the thread.
    You can find them here.

Map Format:

Code:
    MapRotation=/Game/MyAssets/Maps/DM-Pit-v011
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Pit-v011", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/jonathansty/DAE%20Maps/DM-Pit-v011-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="E9AD96D6AE700B1DE492119E6CF2FFFA")
    You can download a playable version
    DM-Pit-v0.11
    DM-Pit-v0.10
    DM-Pit-v0.9
    DM-Pit-v0.8
    DM-Pit-v0.6
    DM-Pit-v0.3
    DM-Pit-v0.2
    DM-Pit-small-v0.1.(too dark)

Changelog
    • Version 0.11
      • Final touches to meshes
      • Final unwraps
      • added more lights
      • post processing
      • added fog

• Version 0.10
      • Still meshing the level. Started doing other area using props and meshes I already made. Adding new ones at certain spots. Haven't unwrapped all of them and textured them
      • Created custom sky
      • more meshing
      • added some new blockout stuff
      • added decals
      • added obscure info board
      • experimented with lighting

• Version 0.9
      • Meshing other spaces

• Version 0.8
      • Finalised blockout
      • started creating props for the level.
      • Only started on the 'BoilerRoom' ( room you see in the pictures)
      • My goal is to get rid of all the 'Sharp' corners created by the bsp's with trim meshes.
      • I'm trying to work with modular meshes and materials

• Version 0.6
      • Finished blockout
      • Started putting in static meshes and textures.
      • Basic place holder textures for static meshes(will be updated when unwrapped correctly)
      • Added in a berserk upgrade.

• Version 0.3
      • Received and applied feedback.
      • Insta death pit is now a pain volume and it's poisen water
      • Made halls bigger
      • added top path to move across the a part of the map (see pictures)

• Version 0.2
      • Resarted the blockout. Totally different.
      • much smaller, more focus on close combat
      • Added armor, weapons, lifts and jumpads
      • added spawns

• Version 0.1
      • Created basic blockout
      • Added weapon spots and spawns

Screenshots

Spoiler

Panel Designs
    I created some very basic designs that I'm planning to use in my level.

ALPHA

Spoiler

Reference & Inspiration
    And last but not least this is my reference/ inspiration board.

Spoiler
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jonathansty; 01-19-2016, 05:57 AM. Reason: Uploaded update version

I restarted my blockout since I found the original blockout too big. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get home. I decided to make more smaller hallways and create more paths from different areas to make it more interesting. I'll also add some panel designs I made during the weekend. ( sketches on paper)

edit: I changed some of the layout of my post. Added some level blockout WIP screenshots.
    Hopefully it's now worthy to receive some feedback
    Last edited by jonathansty; 10-12-2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

It's oke to play, maybe too many weapons close by. And not enough powerups, can't get armour or health enough to continue a killstreak.
      Also bots get stuck on the jumppad.
      My unreal tournament maps

Comment

Originally posted by ThibaultVer View Post
        It's oke to play, maybe too many weapons close by. And not enough powerups, can't get armour or health enough to continue a killstreak.
        Also bots get stuck on the jumppad.
        I didn't add many power ups on purpose since It's not that big of a map. I feel that if I add some damage powerup that you will be overpowered and it will be even less fun. Yeah, the bots get stuck for some reason. Not sure why though.

Comment

Just gave it a quick spin.

First thing i notice is that it is extremely cramped. It really felt claustrophobic. This Unreal Tournament is very fast, and it's good to have more space to run and dodge. See if you can add some more open space to your map.

I think it's a good call to exclude a UDamage. But you also don't need to add more offensive powerups, you could also add defensive ones. I found the Chest armor. You could also add the Thighpads and Helmet? Maybe some more vials?

Annother tip would be changing the respawn point near the Sniperrifle pit. It's annoying, as you spawn and almost immediatly fall to your death.

Regarding a story, I disagree. You don't need to develop a convoluted story about why it is there. I mean, it is nice if you do, but certainly not mandatory. You could just say this is a spaceship/ruin/factory/city/temple/anything and it is now a battleground. That's just fine.

Keep it up!

Comment

Hey,
            like the map, it was fun to play,
            a few comments,
            the lift next to the jump pad is quite slow, maybe speed it up a little?
            also you can use that lift to jump to the left and get out of the level.
            And I like the pit, but I found it a little too difficult to manoeuvre, but that might just be me being bad at playing
            Anyway keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by Basalt View Post
              Just gave it a quick spin.

First thing i notice is that it is extremely cramped. It really felt claustrophobic. This Unreal Tournament is very fast, and it's good to have more space to run and dodge. See if you can add some more open space to your map.

I think it's a good call to exclude a UDamage. But you also don't need to add more offensive powerups, you could also add defensive ones. I found the Chest armor. You could also add the Thighpads and Helmet? Maybe some more vials?

Annother tip would be changing the respawn point near the Sniperrifle pit. It's annoying, as you spawn and almost immediatly fall to your death.

Regarding a story, I disagree. You don't need to develop a convoluted story about why it is there. I mean, it is nice if you do, but certainly not mandatory. You could just say this is a spaceship/ruin/factory/city/temple/anything and it is now a battleground. That's just fine.

Keep it up!
              Thank for taking the time to play and give feedback .

I first started with a different blockout and I thought it was overall too big. I'm gonna make some adjustsments and take your feedback into account. I'm just scared of making the map too big for a duel map. So I'll make some adjustments and update this thread

About the sniper respawn, had some friends play my map aswell and they all said they also kept dying at that point. I guess I'll remove it. Maybe even change the way the layout of that room since I'm gonna "enlarge" the map a little to get rid of the cramped feeling you had. Hopefully that will get rid of it.

Originally posted by padhont View Post
              Hey,
              like the map, it was fun to play,
              a few comments,
              the lift next to the jump pad is quite slow, maybe speed it up a little?
              also you can use that lift to jump to the left and get out of the level.
              And I like the pit, but I found it a little too difficult to manoeuvre, but that might just be me being bad at playing
              Anyway keep up the good work
              Hey, Also thanks for the feedback. Yeah, since everything else in my level seems kinda fast (since it's so small) you might be right about the speed of the lift. If you compare it with the jumpad it's definitly much slower.

Maybe your difficulty of movement will be fixed when I adjust my blockout so it feels less cramped.

Thanks for the feedback both of you. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Changelog
                • Received and applied feedback.
                • Insta death pit is now a pain volume and it's poisen water
                • Made halls bigger
                • added top path to move across the a part of the map (see pictures)

Pictures

Spoiler
                Attached Files

Comment

Changelog

• Finished blockout
                  • Started putting in static meshes and textures.
                  • Basic place holder textures for static meshes(will be updated when unwrapped correctly)
                  • Added in a berserk upgrade.

Pictures

Spoiler

Comment

I changed my initial idea for the style I'm going to build it. I'm now going for a more industrial styled facility/map. It should feel industrial.

Changelog
                    • Finalised blockout
                    • started creating props for the level.
                    • Only started on the 'BoilerRoom' ( room you see in the pictures)
                    • My goal is to get rid of all the 'Sharp' corners created by the bsp's with trim meshes.
                    • I'm trying to work with modular meshes and materials

If you have any feedback please drop a reply on here
                    Pictures

Spoiler

Comment

the meshing looks good, ill give it a spin later on tonight. From the pictures though the map looks way too dark.
                      PayBack
                      Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                      Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                      UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                      UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                        ... From the pictures though the map looks way too dark...
                        Yeah could be, for some reason the pictures taken with high resolution capture look darker than when I'm in the editor. Is this normal behaviour? Or am I experiencing some issues?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathansty View Post
                          Yeah could be, for some reason the pictures taken with high resolution capture look darker than when I'm in the editor. Is this normal behaviour? Or am I experiencing some issues?
                          Do you have a post processing volume in your map?
                          PayBack
                          Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                          UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                          UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

I just played around with it a bit here are my thoughts:

-The lighting looked fine in game.
                            -The jump pads gave me trouble. Sometimes the jump-pad thats at a 45 degree would just bump me into the ground and not up. Try putting that put upright normally and just adjusting the trajectory. Also the jump-pad thats in the pit when trying to get onto the pad from within the pit would not shoot me out of the pit but into the wall and back into the pit.
                            -The map is pretty tight and cramped. Size wise it wouldnt play well online besides as a duel map.
                            -Check your meshing as you have a couple of meshes that arent aligned properly.
                            -Reduce the ammo count, at one point in your map you have like 4 flak ammos all in a group. Ammo should be preserved and used properly, when you put a ton of ammo in a map it just becomes a spam fest.
                            -You have some clever use of meshes, i always enjoy seeing what people did to put multiple meshes together to create something totally new.
                            PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                              I just played around with it a bit here are my thoughts:

-The lighting looked fine in game.
                              -The jump pads gave me trouble. Sometimes the jump-pad thats at a 45 degree would just bump me into the ground and not up. Try putting that put upright normally and just adjusting the trajectory. Also the jump-pad thats in the pit when trying to get onto the pad from within the pit would not shoot me out of the pit but into the wall and back into the pit.
                              -The map is pretty tight and cramped. Size wise it wouldnt play well online besides as a duel map.
                              -Check your meshing as you have a couple of meshes that arent aligned properly.
                              -Reduce the ammo count, at one point in your map you have like 4 flak ammos all in a group. Ammo should be preserved and used properly, when you put a ton of ammo in a map it just becomes a spam fest.
                              -You have some clever use of meshes, i always enjoy seeing what people did to put multiple meshes together to create something totally new.
                              Thanks for the feedback

I'm actually thinking of replacing the jump pads with other models, but since you've had trouble using them I'll adjust them for now. Never had any issues but might be because I'm the maker of it. The map is actually meant as a smaller map to be played with 2-4 players.

And yeah I have a post processing volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X