Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Tefnut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [PROTOTYPE] DM-Tefnut

    Water is the source of life, and in the desert it's also the source of war. As such, it's not suprising that this temple dedicated to Tefnut, the goddess of water, has been contested ground for centuries. Today, it's your time to claim that delicious blue gold.

    Hello everybody,

    Today I present to you my third map. I'm planning this to be Cyber/Egyptian themed map, as featured in UT 2004. I'm also planning to focus on this map and in time develop the assets.

    Regarding gameplay, this map is meant to house large Team Deathmatch battles. No tricky Duel here. Also, I want the gameplay to be fast. The map is large, but jumppads and heights should give plenty of oppurtunities to traverse distances quickly.

    As always, I hope you enjoy this map and your feedback is very much appreciated.

    Scroll to the most recent version below to grab the download. And let me know what you think!

    Versions:

    Alpha I:
    2015-10-11
    - Initial map
    - Awesome music already included (Phantom from UT99)
    - No textures
    - Basic lighting


    Alpha II:
    2015-10-18
    - Shell textures
    - Sand added to the bottom floor
    - Some boxes on the bottom floor
    - Blocking volume added to the basin room


    Alpha III:
    2015-11-08
    - UT 2004 textures, improved with Blue Prints and custom layers (check'em shiny gold!).
    - Complete overhaul of lighting and post process volumes.
    - New music: KR-Ghosts-of-Anubis from
    UT 2004

    Alpha IV:
    2016-02-21
    - Made windows and basic landscapes for the room connecting the UDamage room and the Armor room, and for the UDamage room itself. This makes the area lighter and less claustrophobic.
    - Other visual adjustments to add more light and clarity to the map.
    - Returned the previous music: Phantom from UT99


    Alpha V:
    2016-03-13
    - Switched the position of some items.
    - Visual updates.
    Download: Alpha-V (recook 2017-07-04)

    Screenshots:

    Below you'll find screenshots of the most recent version, and all the screenshots (also of previous versions) in the attachment.

    Screenshots of Alpha IV:







    Attached Files
    Last edited by Basalt; 07-04-2017, 02:02 PM.

  • #2
    Lookin real good, waiting to see where you go with this
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Raste View Post
      Lookin real good, waiting to see where you go with this
      Thank you very much! I'll keep you posted.

      Rushbase doesn't like me today, I hope to have the PAK online soon.

      EDIT: Download now available.
      Last edited by Basalt; 10-11-2015, 05:12 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey, I just played a match on it. I like it a lot! It's very big, hopefully that's what you're going for. There's a good mix of small/large areas and everything flows together pretty well. A few suggestions:

        It reminds me of Sid's Castle map, with tall towers and sort of "streets" down below, if you will. I'd recommend populating the bottom floor with obstacles or pillars to mix it up more. It's kind of like open season right now for someone who is on the bottom floor with nowhere to hide. This is hard to explain but I almost wish the upper levels could overhang the bottom floor on either side, so there's less exposure. But in reality that's a pretty significant change to make.

        Add a blocking volume ramp over the small steps, it's a bit jarring to walk up them.

        I don't have any specific examples, but it'd be nice if there were more bridges between the upper floors. I like the multiple wallrunning paths to the belt. It would help the flow if there were more opportunities for that elsewhere. And if there already are, make them more obvious haha. Also if you add more bridges it gives some more cover to the players on the bottom.

        Overall it's really promising. Looking forward to the next one!
        UT4 work-in-progress
        CTF-Remy | DM-Nine | DM-Pilgrim

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tidu View Post
          Hey, I just played a match on it. I like it a lot! It's very big, hopefully that's what you're going for. There's a good mix of small/large areas and everything flows together pretty well.

          (...)
          Thanks a lot tidu, very much appreciated! It really motivates me to continue. Indeed, my goal was to make it a large map, best suited for a full house (10 players).

          Originally posted by tidu View Post
          (...)

          It reminds me of Sid's Castle map, with tall towers and sort of "streets" down below, if you will. I'd recommend populating the bottom floor with obstacles or pillars to mix it up more. It's kind of like open season right now for someone who is on the bottom floor with nowhere to hide. This is hard to explain but I almost wish the upper levels could overhang the bottom floor on either side, so there's less exposure. But in reality that's a pretty significant change to make.

          (...)

          Also if you add more bridges it gives some more cover to the players on the bottom.
          Interesting parallel. I'm going to do some research on that map. It think I'm going to add some obstacles, but it's hard to really add more bridges and horizontal cover, as that will also change fundamentaly how the higher floors will flow. I'm hearing you, but I need to put a lot of thought in how to balance that out.

          Originally posted by tidu View Post
          (...)

          Add a blocking volume ramp over the small steps, it's a bit jarring to walk up them.

          (...)
          Good point. Will be adjusted in Alpha-II.

          Originally posted by tidu View Post
          (...)

          I like the multiple wallrunning paths to the belt. It would help the flow if there were more opportunities for that elsewhere. And if there already are, make them more obvious haha.

          (...)
          I've only implemented one walljump path (the one from the highest ledge with the 4 vials). Did you find more? I'm very interested. And I agree, I tried to do more in this map with trickjumps and wallruns. I hope to open up some extra navigation oppurtunities.

          Thanks again for your excelent feedback.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just played a match against some bots on your map. Since It's kind of big chose a decent amount of bots to play against.

            It's a really fun map to play. A little big for the first time playing so I don't know all the spots inside out yet . I enjoyed playing your map. There is a lot of variation in the rooms and it's also cool how the different areas connect to each other. The only thing I found strange is the teleport. I just kinda expected it to also work the other way around. Might be me.

            Really cool map, look forward to seeing what you do with the decorating and things.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jonathansty View Post
              I just played a match against some bots on your map. Since It's kind of big chose a decent amount of bots to play against.

              It's a really fun map to play. A little big for the first time playing so I don't know all the spots inside out yet . I enjoyed playing your map. There is a lot of variation in the rooms and it's also cool how the different areas connect to each other. The only thing I found strange is the teleport. I just kinda expected it to also work the other way around. Might be me.

              Really cool map, look forward to seeing what you do with the decorating and things.

              Thanks for trying it out. Glad you enjoyed it!

              Interesting point regarding the teleport. To be honest, I wanted to make it going two ways, but it bugged out. I decided to first test how it would work just going one way, I'll try it going two ways later on, just see what works out best.

              Comment


              • #8
                Alpha-II is now available, updates in OP.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Locked & loaded, We'll be test'n/play'n it on the LoPing Arena. Massive thanks to you Basalt for share'n it!
                  Last edited by DutchSmoke; 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM. Reason: server name edit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                    Locked & loaded, We'll be test'n/play'n it on the loping server. Massive thanks to you Basalt for share'n it!
                    Vriendelijk bedankt!

                    I don't the name of your server yet. I'd love to check it out!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you for this map! It's now available to play on on the Forbidden Paradise HUB.
                      http://forbiddenparadise.us/forums/i...th-UT4-HUB.png
                      forbiddenparadise.us

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Alpha-III is now available, updates in OP.

                        Don't drink the water.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Loaded up on LoPing. Initial run thru issue is still the music drowning out the game sounds.
                          Nice rework though, will be testing with others soon. Thanks for the update!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                            Loaded up on LoPing. Initial run thru issue is still the music drowning out the game sounds.
                            Nice rework though, will be testing with others soon. Thanks for the update!
                            That's perculiar, i set the music to 0.8 volume, and on my system it felt well balanced.

                            I did however plan to return the previous music, Phantom, anyway. The current music makes the Egyptian theme to thick and obvious, I try to make a combination more fit to UT.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So a few have been on it and with the exception of the overpowering music, they pretty much liked it.
                              I agree that the ambient tunes lay it on abit thick indeed. Keep up the good works!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X